Garage Floor Paint on wood?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Garage Floor Paint on wood?

Postby Pyrofish » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:38 pm

My current plan is to use the garage floor epoxy for my floor. I noticed it doesn't say anything about using it on wood though. After a search, I see you can put it down, if you prime the floor first.

Has anyone had problems with this method? Does it seem to work well? Is it going to stand up for years, or should I bight the bullet and go linoleum? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for looking :thumbsup:
Pyrofish
Teardrop Master

Postby Wolfscout » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:46 pm

I went with the puzzle mats like you put under exercise equipment. It's thick, protective and will act as insulation on the floor I think.
I was going to go with linoleum but I figured it wouldn't hold up well enough to multipurpose as I wished it to.
Larry Fulmer, Jr.

2016 8X20 Homestead Patriot CTC
CTC 2

'90 6x12 Wells Cargo Trailer Conversion
my 1st build= CTC 1 FB album history.
Wolfscout
500 Club

Postby Pyrofish » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:48 pm

That is a good idea, I use those in my workshop around my table. I don't think they'd stand up to my Rhino though. Might be an option for the front are though, Thanks! :thumbsup:
Pyrofish
Teardrop Master

Postby tk » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:05 pm

You say "bite the bullet" implying that linoleum would be more expensive than epoxy paint. I'm not so sure that is accurate. If you haven't actually checked that out, you should. Anything that has epoxy in the name is generally expensive. Vinyl flooring remnants can be had quite cheaply from flooring retailers as well as wholesalers.

Best,
Tom
Escape to Missouri
tk
Teardrop Master

Postby Pyrofish » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:20 pm

tk wrote:You say "bite the bullet" implying that linoleum would be more expensive than epoxy paint. I'm not so sure that is accurate. If you haven't actually checked that out, you should. Anything that has epoxy in the name is generally expensive. Vinyl flooring remnants can be had quite cheaply from flooring retailers as well as wholesalers.

Best,
Tom

I did look around. With the size of my floor, I can't seem to find remnants to fit. 8'3" x 20' doesn't seem to count as a remnant...

On the other hand, epoxy for that size area can be had under $100. I might price the linoleum though. I just did linoleum in my home, and it seemed like it was more for that sized area. Doesn't hurt to check though :thumbsup:
Pyrofish
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:48 pm

Garage floor paint (epoxy) tends to come loose in spots, wherever moisture or wood swelling is. But, if you prime it first, you might be okay. Heavy things rolled over it sometimes make it come loose, too.

Another problem that I have had is that, if your floor is too smooth, you can slip and fall quite easily on it. The more coats you put down, the more slippery it becomes. If you use those little blue and white sprinkly things that sometimes come with the kit, that might help negate the slippery factor; but I'm not certain if they help or not. (That would be something to ask the manufacturer.)
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby 8ball_99 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:40 pm

I was told no.. The stuff made for garage floors will not work on wood. Its not made to flex.. That said sherwin-williams sells some 2 part epoxy paint that will work on wood or metal. I forget what they call it but I'm sure they will know what your talking about.. Its not cheap though. I think you have to buy two gallons. (its two part paint you mix) Cost was around 90 bucks give or take.. Honestly not that bad when you consider good paint cost 30+ a gallon anyway..

I used rubber garage floor mat from northern tools. Very tough stuff and all one piece. They sell it in different sizes and color..
8ball_99
500 Club

Postby vtx1029 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:54 am

Just did our trailer in the lick and stick 1' squares. Under a $100 bucks for our 8.5 x 23' trailer ;)

We had a single piece of linoleum in our other trailer it did hold up pretty good but it was not glued down only attached to the floor around the edges with trim. It did hold up ok but some tires have a tendency to leave black marks on the floor. We went with the 12" squares on this one so we can replace a tile if it gets damaged
vtx1029
Teardrop Master

Postby Pyrofish » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:49 am

I really like your install 8ball. That's a sweet looking ride. How do you like the e-track on the floor like that? Doesn't it get in the way? Stub any toes? I'm planning to mount recessed D-rings into the floor and bolt through to steel plate on the underside, but E-track seems so much easier :)
Pyrofish
Teardrop Master

Postby Pyrofish » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:52 am

vtx1029 wrote:Just did our trailer in the lick and stick 1' squares. Under a $100 bucks for our 8.5 x 23' trailer ;)

We had a single piece of linoleum in our other trailer it did hold up pretty good but it was not glued down only attached to the floor around the edges with trim. It did hold up ok but some tires have a tendency to leave black marks on the floor. We went with the 12" squares on this one so we can replace a tile if it gets damaged

I've done 12" squares on wood floor before. They came up. I was told it was because of expansion and contraction in the wood. Guess I could skim the wood... :?

I think I need to go wander around Lowes/Home Depot again... :thumbsup:
Pyrofish
Teardrop Master

Postby 8ball_99 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:58 pm

Thanks. I really like the rubber floor. I used VCT tile in my first trailer and it worked ok. It showed tire marks though. My trailer is used as a toy hauler so we drive in and out pretty much every time we use it. Takes a decent floor to hold up to that. FWIW linoleum is just to soft for a toy hauler. Its very easy to cut or scratch.. One rock in a tire and you have a problem.

I love the Etrack. We haul two RZRs in the trailer most of the time. But sometimes only one.. The problem with D rings for me was I wanted to use tire bonnets to tie the machines down. I would need two D rings per tire. I also would have to have an extra set for times when I only haul one machine in the middle of the trailer.. The E track was cheaper, easier and just works better for what I needed.. It also gives me pretty much unlimited tie down points for hauling other stuff. I carried a couple kayaks the other day and it was nice to be able to strap them down pretty much anywhere in the trailer.
As for the camping part its not bad.. First time my wife seen the e-track she hated it. She was worried about breaking a toe in it.. So I went to lowes and got a 19 dollar outdoor carpet rug. Its very light and easy to roll up, but its something like 7x10. We put it down right infront of the cabinet. It covers all the way back to the almost the bed. Works great and my wife doesn't mind the etrack at all now.. You know its there even with the rug, But its NP walking on it with bare feet.
8ball_99
500 Club

Postby Pyrofish » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:55 pm

Thanks for the advice 8ball. A RZR's pretty close to Rhino so I trust what you're saying. I didn't think it would be that bad, but I guess I can see it happening.

The e-track looks easier to install than recessed D-rings... I guess if it does hold dried dirt in the tracks it would be easy enough to vacuum. More to think about...

Where's a good place to buy e-track BTW?
Pyrofish
Teardrop Master

Postby 8ball_99 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:45 pm

Really its not bad even with out the rug. The holes are smaller then they look and the track only sticks up maybe 1/2". If you mount the E track on top of your finished floor and just leave the end open at the back door you can just spray the track out with a hose.. So far dirt really hasn't got in mine to much. I built the trailer so I can just jack up the front and spray it out with a hose. leaf blower also works pretty good for dust :twisted:

I got mine at a local trailer place. They build and sell utility trailers. Was the cheapest place I found.. They also sell straps, D rings, ect that go with the E track.. I got my tire bonnets on E bay though.. Cost for the track it self was 25.00 Per 10 foot stick. So for the whole trailer it cost 100 bucks. They also sold it in 5 foot sticks for 15.00
8ball_99
500 Club

Postby Pyrofish » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:29 pm

Sheesh, I went from a painted floor and installing D rings I already have, to $100-200 of rubber and $120 worth of e-track, plus $80 worth of tire bonnets... should be alot nicer than my previous starting plan though. Thanks for the advice all. Buy once, cry once right :lol:
Pyrofish
Teardrop Master

Postby 8ball_99 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:22 pm

haha, You could always just paint the floor with some decent paint for now and add the rubber later.
8ball_99
500 Club

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions