6x10 Vee Nose Trailer Conversion UPDATE 7/6/2011

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

6x10 Vee Nose Trailer Conversion UPDATE 7/6/2011

Postby Blotto Bros » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:25 pm

I stumbled on what I think is a great deal on a trailer, so here we go.

It's a 2007 Sharp Manufacturing 6x10 vee nose cargo trailer.

Features are:

6' interior height
.040 SMOOTH sided (rivetless) aluminum sides
3500# torsion axle with brakes and breakaway activation
32" side door and barn style doors on rear
Full steel BOX frame in walls (1x2 steel) and ceiling (1x1) on 16" centers
Pre supported for rooftop AC unit including 14x24 steel frame
Trailer tires with 80% tread remaining

The only negatives were a fiberglass cap on vee nose and 6x10 instead of 6x12. I was able to use the "I have cash" negotiation tactic and we agreed on $1,600.

My goals are to have a queen size goucho couch, microwave, 2 burner stove top, fridge and AC unit. I also want the rear portion to be open enough to haul my Harley.

To get started pulling down the plywood walls and wire/insulate I had to remove 56 screws from just the first 8' section of plywood....somebody overbuilt!!! I was surprised to see that there were 1x2 supports behind there. At least I shouldn't be able to miss that when I put the paneling back up.

Insulation will be VERY important on this build, it was 130+ degrees in there when I opened the doors and only 97 outside. Granted the trailer was in full sun. My plans are to use Refletex thermal insulation and 3/4 inch polystyrene behind luan. I also purchased a gallon of Black Jack elastomeric roof coating based on the posts of others on here.

On the way home from the hardware store I stopped at a Garden Ridge store. I found an 8" queen size memory foam mattress with maybe 3 dozen childs size shoe prints on it in the half price bin!! So $125 dollars later my camper has a bed before it has walls.

Last edited by Blotto Bros on Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Even those souls that are found must occasionally become lost to appreciate what they have.
Blotto Bros
Silver Donating Member

Postby Blotto Bros » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:13 pm

Got some more work in today. I ordered 2 windows from vintage trailer supply per the recommendations off other members on here. They were shipped FAST!! I was however charged extra for 1.5" trim rings AND they sent the wrong screws...which made installation impossible and wasted a couple hours of my day. :(

First I finished up installing some insulation.

Then Lauan on the roof and Reflectex insulation in the curved part of the roof.

Next I measured and outlined the cut-out for the first window.
The blue tape prevented any scratches to the finish. (another tip from this forum)

I cut the siding and insulation at the same time, then traced onto the interior wood. Several people have mentioned that the cut-out for the trim ring is slightly larger than the window cut-out. I found this to be true and cut just outside the trace line with my jigsaw. A few minutes with a file to clean up the hole and in it went.

As mentioned before the wrong screws were sent and I struggled with this step for several hours. Took the window in and out maybe a dozen times trying to figure it out. A trip to the hardware store and longer screws did the trick.

Next I wanted to install the other window in the door. I was concerned that since this was a 2007 trailer the door would be full of rotten wood. Great joy when I opened it up to find no rot...I didn't even find any wood!!

While this makes me happy it also makes installation of my new door handle/lock combo a challenge. I will have to hold off on this and think about how to proceed.
Even those souls that are found must occasionally become lost to appreciate what they have.
Blotto Bros
Silver Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:34 pm

Very cool!

I like the smooth sides of your cargo trailer. Did I understand you correctly in that the "studs" holding up the are 1x2s? If so, is the aluminum skin attached to them by VHB (foam) tape?

Thank you and I look forward to following your build.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Blotto Bros » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:09 pm

Yes the main ribs are 1x2 steel tube and yes the skin is held in place by some sort of black adhesive tape. TOUGH stuff, hope i never have to try to remove any of the skin!!
Blotto Bros
Silver Donating Member

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions