What can I safely put in a tongue box?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

What can I safely put in a tongue box?

Postby Goodwood » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:45 pm

I'm looking to put a few things on the tongue.

Hoping to put a battery, propane tank, and two 5 gallon gas cans. To my inexperienced self it sounds like an explosion waiting to happen.

My common sense says to keep them apart. Maybe tongue box in the middle, battery in a batt box on one side, then propane holder on the other side.

In some pics I see some of these items mixed in the tongue box, and also see propane stored inside the trailer--is that a no-no?

Love the forum!
Goodwood
Teardrop Builder

Postby 8ball_99 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:55 pm

Uhh, you can put anything you want on there as long as it doesn't make the tongue to heavy... IMHO I probably wouldn't mount two gas cans beside the battery.. The LP bottle is fine and pretty standard practice. A leaky gas can so close to the battery probably isn't a great idea..
8ball_99
500 Club

Postby Ron Dickey » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:20 pm

I put my spare tire, small starter wood, small stove propane tanks, jack stands.

many put a battery there with venting on the walls, others make a door on each side compartmentalizing it.

here is PJ Snoozer check list
Store in Tongue Box

axe
bike lock black tape (tool box)
bungie cords
ropes
flashlight batteries
flashlights
clothes line rope
camp shoes
camp chairs
dish pans
dish soap
dish towels
hot dog spears
helmets
hammock
tool box toaster for fire
tarp
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Re: What can I safely put in a tongue box?

Postby smatthew » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:02 am

Goodwood wrote:In some pics I see some of these items mixed in the tongue box, and also see propane stored inside the trailer--is that a no-no?

It's a big no-no. That's not to say that the rule isn't broken, but it's there for a reason. Propane is heavier than air so it can/will accumulate. And if there's nothing that could cause a spark, a propane leak during the night could cause death by asphyxiation. Or everything could go boom!

NFPA 82 - 3.8.2.3 and NFPA 1192 5.2.3.3 both state:
No tanks on the bumper
No tanks on the rear wall
No tanks on the roof
Mounting in a compartment that only opens to the outside is OK.
Mounting on the tongue or A-Frame is OK.
I believe DOT adds
No tanks on the side wall.
smatthew
Teardrop Builder

Postby Itsdoable » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:28 am

Battery and Propane in mine .. note the venting cut into the back, both high and low. Angle grinder, small soffet vents and rivets did the trick.

Itsdoable
Teardrop Builder

Postby smatthew » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:53 am

i fear that putting battery and propane in the same container, even if vented, is asking for trouble. A source of ignition, and a source of fuel are a recipe for potential disaster.

I would also be a little concerned about how hot a tongue box might get. Propane tanks tend to vent some when they get hot.
smatthew
Teardrop Builder

Postby pete42 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:52 pm

Battery between 25 and 30 pounds. propane tank another 25 pounds gas is 6 pounds a gallon

you would be placing 60 pounds of gas 25 pounds of propane and 25 pounds of battery or a total of 110 additional pounds on the tounge

do as you like but just be aware of the total weight and what it could do to the handling.
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions