Towing a 14 foot CT

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Towing a 14 foot CT

Postby dudleydoright » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:14 pm

Hello All,

Need some help, I'm 71 years old and don't need alot of extra work getting ready for a trip. I'm going to order either a 6 X 14 or a 7 X14 CT to convert. I"ve pulled several small boat and utility trailers over the years (ATV"S and such), but never anything this big. I'll be towing with a 2005 Dodge quadcab 4 X 4 V8 Hemi. My question is, my honey and I are planning a 7000 mile tour of our western national parks next year and I need to know if I need to use any kind of a load-leveling or anti-sway device on a unit this big? I'd sure appreciate your help and input.

thanks,

Mike
GONE FISHIN'

ddr
dudleydoright
Teardrop Master

Postby B@tt » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:55 pm

I pull my single axle 6x14 CT Toyhauler w/ an '04 Dodge 1500 4x4 Hemi. Pulls like a dream. No sway bars or leveling needed.

Watch your tongue weight, but your tow capacity is rated at 9K.
B@tt
Teardrop Advisor

Postby lmajeff1 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:46 am

Hey I would pull away. I currently tow a 8 by 24 foot CT using a the same truck exect it is 3 years newer. The only thing I added was a load leveling hitch. I have towed the trailer with 5 ATVs in it and camping gear on on top of the ATVs; furthermore, I moved my son a 850 mile trip with the traile completely full of his furniture and stuff no problems at all. Enjoy your trip out west. :)
lmajeff1
Teardrop Advisor

Postby pete42 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:55 pm

Mike 71? you are an old geezer (I'm only 69 1/2).
what kind of trailer are you getting and where is dealer located?
The dealer I was dealing with in Xenia is no longer is in business.
it took two days and a hired helper but I got my back garage semi cleaned and rearanged now all I need is trailer.
I like the idea of a load leveler hitch I used one on my last trailer it had built in sway control worked well but did make some noise when turning.
brand name was equalizer work well having said that I will pull trailer and see if I need the help.

Pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby vtx1029 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:06 am

You would probably be fine with out it, but if you do there is none better then http://www.equalizerhitch.com/ :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
vtx1029
Teardrop Master

Postby ho-do » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:36 am

Hey there,

I have pulled 25' and 35' travel trailers using the antisway bars, but when we switched over to our 20' CC, I stopped using them and have had no problem if my unit isn't at max weight. At max weight, I do experience some slight sway, so I would add them if I ever plan on maxing it out again (which I doubt). If you are going to load her up, then I do suggest the bars.
ho-do
Teardrop Builder

Postby glwt06 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:06 pm

Hi Mike,

I don't have a lot of experience with really large trailers, but we just used my single axle 12' by 6' high v-nose trailer for a 5200 mile road trip out to S Dakota, Wyoming (Yellowstone), Utah and Colorado. We tow with a GMC Yukon.

The only problem we had was with the wind. Several days were steady 25-30 mph cross winds with 40+ mph gusts. It made for a couple of eye opening experiences on a few of the more winding roads in that area. I don't know if an anti-sway system would have helped. I would have bought one on the spot if I found out it would have. I imagine you may be headed down a few of the same roads on your trip.

I don't know if those winds are common out there or not. Maybe someone who lives out there can add to that.

Paul
glwt06
Teardrop Inspector

Postby dudleydoright » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:53 pm

Hi All.

I really appreciate your responses so far, if I get a 6 X 14 (single alxe) do I really need a load leveling device or a anti-sway device?

thanks,

Mike
GONE FISHIN'

ddr
dudleydoright
Teardrop Master

Postby pete42 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:01 am

Mike
I check out every cargo trailer I see being towed I have never seen a equalizing hitch being used.

The only thing I would be concerned about would be if it was level when towing

I have seen some trailer/truck combos where the front of the trailer was pointing down a proper placed hitch ball solves that problem.

The trailers I have owned in the past and used equalizing load leveling hitchs were the ones with a 700 or 800 pound hitch weight.

if when you hook the trailer onto the dodge and the back of the dodge drops 2, 3 or more inches then a equalizing hitch would be needed most have built in sway control

most hitches are rated 500 pounds tongue weight unless using an equalizing hitch then the ratings go up because the weight is shifted back to the trailer and forward to the truck.

so buy a nice cargo trailer and enjoy.

pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby b.bodemer » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:28 am

I realize your trailer would be 2' longer than mine but I just got back from my first trip and tow a 7 x 12. No problems what so ever. I even have an additional 6" of height.

Tow away!!!!!
Barb
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Thawley » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:44 am

vtx1029 wrote:if you do there is none better then http://www.equalizerhitch.com/

What he said. I towed a 24' enclosed car trailer for a few years. The Equalizer hitch (and Prodigy brake controller) was the best money I've ever spent. As mentioned, it might be overkill on a light trailer to use one at all. But if you get one, Equalizer's the way to go IMHO.
Thawley
Teardrop Advisor

Postby asianflava » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:57 pm

When I got my car hauler I wondered why I never saw WD hitches on utility trailers, I always saw them on RVs. The answer I got was that utility trailers are towed both empty and full with drastic changes in loading depending on what is hauled. RVs pretty much stay the same compared. You'd constantly be changing the setup on a utility trailer. Since you are converting to an RV, a WD hitch wouldn't be a bad idea

Oh and ditto on the brake controller. A P3 brake controller was thee first thing I installed on my truck. Get a Prodigy or P3 (both made by Tekonsha) I got the P3 because I think the Prodigy is ugly. If you look on any RV forum, they are the gold standard when towing trailers.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby vreihen » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:20 pm

asianflava wrote:Oh and ditto on the brake controller. A P3 brake controller was thee first thing I installed on my truck. Get a Prodigy or P3 (both made by Tekonsha) I got the P3 because I think the Prodigy is ugly.

The P3 looks great and has a slick LCD interface, but Tekonsha cheaped out on one component. They only used a single-axis accelerometer on the logic board to sense braking force, whereas the Prodigy P2 uses a tri-axial accelerometer. In simple terms, the P3 cannot detect level, whereas the Prodigy P2 can. If it doesn't know level, it cannot repeatably send proportional braking forces to the trailer.

I have the P3 in my pickup truck with a manual transmission, and every time that I step on the brake is a new thrill because I have no idea if I'll get full trailer brakes, no trailer brakes, or some trailer brakes. I regret not buying the cheaper Prodigy P2 or the slick-looking Hayes G2.....
vreihen
Teardrop Master

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions