Gen cover?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Gen cover?

Postby drcurran » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:09 am

Looking for ideas for some sort of a cover to use on a portable Gen. I have a Honda 2000 and if I'm going to run it while it is raining it has to be protected - any ideas? Thanks
Dan
"I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was."
TK
drcurran
Teardrop Master

Postby vreihen » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:30 am

Two weekends ago, we ran a Honda generator out in the rain for 8 hours without a second thought. Oh, and if you want to know how much rain, the rain gauge at JFK Airport about 10 miles away from where we were set the largest single-day rainfall record that they had *ever* seen (up until today?). If you do choose to cover it, just make sure that it has plenty of airflow for cooling so that you don't overheat the engine, and of course make sure that the exhaust isn't going into your trailer.....
vreihen
Teardrop Master

Postby lmajeff1 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:57 pm

I have my generator on a small wagon with a set of bows that I cover with fabric that I sprayed with water repelant.
lmajeff1
Teardrop Advisor

Postby smatthew » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:40 am

lmajeff1 wrote:I have my generator on a small wagon with a set of bows that I cover with fabric that I sprayed with water repelant.

i think we all want to see a picture of this.
smatthew
Teardrop Builder

Postby lmajeff1 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:04 pm

Okay let me dig out of storage. I pull the trailer with generator with my big bear
lmajeff1
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Mukilteo » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:24 pm

I got the Honda EU2000i and have been thinking about some sort of dog house when it's running.
Something that would fold flat for storage.
Eric
Mukilteo
Donating Member

Postby lmajeff1 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:21 pm

The last time the generator was used was in 2008 and we transported the generator with the atvs inside the wells cargo auto wagon. Now just going to sell the ATF or trade for a pontoon boat.
lmajeff1
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Mukilteo » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:52 pm

Sell the ATF?
Eric
Mukilteo
Donating Member

Postby lmajeff1 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:01 pm

Sorry about that sell the ATVs
lmajeff1
Teardrop Advisor

Postby lmajeff1 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:01 pm

Sorry about that sell the ATVs
lmajeff1
Teardrop Advisor

Insta-Roof Idea

Postby Engineer Guy » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:15 pm

How about something K.I.S.S. like a scrap piece of rigid 'Thermax' Insulation 'x' percent larger than the Genny footprint. Tilt the Insulation down on one side for runoff, like a Horse Shed Roof. Velcro-strap 4 pieces of PVC Pipe to the Genny frame side uprights. Keep the angled, rigid Insulation from sliding down 'too far' by using Cable Ties on the PVC verticals. With 4 'right-sized' holes in the Insulation, it shouldn't blow off and should fit snug; especially if the PVC Pipe is 6" inches 'too' long or so...
~Reality proceeds with or without your consensus~
Engineer Guy
The 300 Club

Postby jwhite » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:18 am

I put my honda 2000 next to the front wheel of my suburban and run a bike cable through the wheel and around the honda and lock it.
I haven't done this yet but I am going to open the hood to the engine and put one end of a tarp there and shut the hood and then stake the other end to the ground to cover the generator.
jwhite
The 300 Club

Generator cover!

Postby Nitroxjunkie71 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:48 pm

Here is what I did on a cold, rainy weekend in Ohio a few years ago. Tarp over picnic table... It worked but I knew there had to be a better solution.

I have thought about this off and on since then but could not find the proper pvc fittings like the 3-way and 5-way corner elbows and 45's. They can be purchased online but the prices were a little high for me to warrent not using the picnic table and tarp.

After seeing this post I have been again thinking about it. I found an old pvc clothes hamper I have had for a very long time and don't use. I started to think "This can work!"

I headed to Ace Hardware and picked up 3 10' sticks of 1/2 pvc for less then $4 and came up with this.

I know it's pretty simple but it will work.

This weekend I am going to cut down an already cut up tarp to make the roof and will post with pictures when I get it done.

It's one option anyway.

Another nice thing is that it breaks down flat for transport.

Jeff
Image Image Image
The Deepest spot in Lake Superior, the largest of the Great Lakes is 1,333 feet or about 222 fathoms. This profound depth could easily contain the entire 1,250' Empire State Building, even with a 50-foot-tall King Kong perched atop.
Nitroxjunkie71
cargotrlrman

Location: Originally from Battle Creek Michigan, I now reside in Greenfield Indiana

Gen cover

Postby drcurran » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:04 pm

Thanks everyone for some good ideas. I'm thinking of a combination of several. Maybe using the trailer fender as a starting point and building a quick to put up platform that would cover the Gen. and still allow me to chain the Gen. to the wheel or axel. I want the cover to be easy to put in place and easy to store away. Thanks again for some good ideas.
"I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was."
TK
drcurran
Teardrop Master

Postby Gary and Cheri » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:35 pm

If you have already spent over a grand for a generator you may be interested in spending a couple hundred more for a box made specifically to protect it.

I personally think these are alittle expensive, but maybe an idea for a start on your own design.

Gary

http://www.hayesequipment.com/hayes_products.htm
" I started out with nothing and I have most of it left." Groucho Marx

With each grey hair I'm another step closer to becoming a wizard!
Gary and Cheri
500 Club

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions