Need some help on decisions about a trailer or Toy hauler

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Need some help on decisions about a trailer or Toy hauler

Postby jameswill4 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:58 am

I have posted a few times on here and had built a 7 x 16 with some basics in it that we used for motocross like a sink and outdoor shower, we were sleeping on airbeds. We recently had a new baby and now with a family of 5 we are needing something larger. We have 3 dirtbikes and a golf cart that goes to the tracks with us and have looked at toy haulers (for all the ammenities for the wife lol) and granted they are nice but very expensive for the hauling room we would need. I am towing with a 2010 tundra with the 5.7l v8 so I dont have a disel or anything. I got a quote on another lark united trailer 8.5 x 24 with several options like windows insulated floor done electric package and a water package installed which i did on the last trailer included tanks and pump and hot water heater. All of this for about 7500.00 My questions are in the long run which way is better to go. and as far as adding a shower inside what are you guys using for the pan and walls???? Can you buy a preforemed that is light wieght??? What about heat, this is a big issue for the wife?? That would also include a roof top air so that is covered.
Also should i go v nose or flat nose?? I know that if i go vnose then i would not have room to mount a popane tank on the tounge, (for the heat I am assuming)
jameswill4
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Pyrofish » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:31 pm

I'm pulling with 1/2 ton as well. After 12 hours on the road, I think my ideal trailer size would 20', 7'6 wide, 7'6" tall, with a v-nose. A bigger truck could pull my 20'x8'x8'6"wide just fine, but the half ton has trouble pulling all of the front surface.

Now, with that size, you'd likely need to get creative with bunks for a hole family and all of the toys you're planning. A real Toy Hauler, btw, is going to start off (empty) heavier than a loaded CT conversion with all of your goodies in it.

A guy I know just bought a pretty nice bumper pull Toy Hauler after he heard my plans to build one out of a CT. He picked it up for $7500 used. His problem, he has a half ton truck, and it's empty weight is 6500 lbs. I don't think my trailer loaded with my 1400lb Rhino will be even close to that!

Can't speak to family room, or having heat, or the plumbing. I'm going simple. No water tanks, minimal, gravity fed plumbing. Outdoor shower. I really like my half ton trucks for the other 49 weeks of the year, so I had to make concessions in the creature comforts for those 3. Better than a tent in any case :D
Pyrofish
Teardrop Master

Postby jwhite » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:56 pm

I live close to a Motocross school and I have noticed that alot of them have a motorhome and pull a enclosed trailer for the bikes and shop.?
I had a hard time trying to decide if I should buy a used motorhome or build the toy hauler,but now I have the toyhauler I am starting to look at used motorhomes so that in the future I will know what to look for when I decide to buy,if I buy one at all?
I think for comfort alone they are the way to go and with a family I think they would be great to have.
I have never had a Motorhome or driven one but I did travel with someone that had one and it was great,and they pulled a trailer.

I look on craigs list all the time and there are 2 Class C motorhomes for sale 1 is a 92 for 9.000 and a 2005 for 20.000 they both look nice and have low miles.
If you look on Ebay they have all price ranges from a few thousand up to how much you want to spend,I know you get what you pay for and I don't know what age motorhome is to old and you should to stay away from?
jwhite
The 300 Club

Postby Pyrofish » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:01 pm

I thought about that route, until a few of my buddies that did have them talked me out of it. Extra insurance, extra upkeep, another engine to keep going, and gas/diesel hogs. (I know one, pulling a light lawn trailer with a 700lb golf cart got 5MPG) Of course, if you're going to use many times a year, that could certainly be worth the hassle. My decision was based on the 5 or 6 weekends a year I'm likely to use mine.

I briefly considered converting a bus...
Pyrofish
Teardrop Master

Postby vtx1029 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:40 pm

Go V nose or even a 5' wedge! having had both a flat nose and 5' wedge hands down all the way don't go with a flat nose + its practically free space :D

Not sure where you live but there are some great trailer deals to be had in GA

take note when looking at trailer length most mfg's don't count the length of a v nose but they do count it when you go to a wedge front.

If you will have electricity at most spots then just use the cheap electric heaters or if your going for a rooftop ac they can add a heater element in them as well.

We've camped a few times below freezing and 2 little walmart electric heaters kept us nice and toasty in our 8.5 x 18 un insulated trailer. We were hoping to see how our new trailer did in the cold weather but it only got down in the 60's at night.
vtx1029
Teardrop Master

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions