RV toilet install ?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

RV toilet install ?

Postby jwhite » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:20 pm

Anyone have any photos on how they installed a RV toilet and tank?
After a couple seasons with the portable toilet I have decided to put in a Rv toilet and not sure how I am going to do it yet.
I have this area in the V that is the only place I have? but I am sure it will fit.

The vent hose is gone and all the wires are organized,my 16 gallon water tank in right there with the 12volt water pump.
The only problem I see is the space under the trailer is a odd size and I may have to make some type of tank myself to fit?
I have never looked to see how a RV sewer works?
jwhite
The 300 Club

Postby pete42 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:59 am

In one of my trailers ( a scamp) the toilet looked like a big porta-potty.
The seat was sitting on the holding tank with a drain through the floor to a dump valve on the side of the trailer.
it used water from the city hook-up or from the fresh water tank to flush.
this setup didn't need space under the trailer for a seperate holding tank.
I think it held either 10 or 15 gallons.
I like the way the Casita trailer's dump valve swivels point it up out of the way and down when dumping.
I would contact scamp and casita and ask about their toilets both have nice friendly people working for them.

or you could get real creative and make one from a porta-potty notice I said you could I'll just stick with my plain porta-potty.

pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

What Little I Know

Postby Engineer Guy » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:09 pm

I had to dig into this topic when I cracked my Black Water Tank stub clean off as it bottomed out on a Road dip. Ah, the drawbacks of rear TTT Plumbing, and a low slung TTT, soon to get an Axle flip [or Shackles]...

The CO Repairman who helped me out fixes many similar problems. He notes that standard procedure is to get a Tank, linked below, and drill out the holes req'd. One for the Toilet stub, and one for the Vent. On ABS Tanks, as I have, you can use ABS Glue, as used on ABS House Plumbing. In repair situations, he said they like flexible couplings, as used when repairing Waste Pipe sections back together. There are 2 large Hose Clamp, screw-tight fittings, as on Radiator Hoses.

As posted here, I believe, the standard main fitting is identical to that on a House Toilet. I've used a 'newer' Wax Seal to seal a House Toilet to the Flange. It has an integral, curved piece to ensure flow down into your ABS Flange and the Tank.

A custom, leak-proof Tank might be tricky to find. FYI, my Tank was repaired by 'ABS Welding'. Hot Gas is put to the Tank, and new Material was fed off a Spool onto the heated area where it becomes 'one'; good as new. I'd never heard of such a process, so I looked it up on Wikipedia. Perhaps such a method might have to be used to modify one side of a standard Tank so that will fit in the space you have. This Repairman told me that fabricating up such a Tank from scratch is very standard procedure, and is done to replace older Tanks of 'odd' dimensions.

As is the case on Wood-framed House Floors, you'd want to really make solid the area around the main Toilet Flange so that it doesn't flex with Human weight. Given my own 'unique' experience, I'd also want to use secure Fittings that can be un-coupled for repair/replacement.

A clean Water test run would be well advised once your install is complete!

Black Water Tank Supplier

Black Water Tank Dimensions
~Reality proceeds with or without your consensus~
Engineer Guy
The 300 Club

Postby jwhite » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:10 pm

Thanks for the link it look like they have everything.

One of the things I wanted to do was get the portable toilet out of the shower area because it was in the way for me esp trying to get into and out of the storage area.
also when I shower it's in the way,it's just not enough room to have it in the shower so I moved it into the V nose and it's more out of the way and still hidden?
I have won half the battle moving it out of the shower so am going to try it here for a while before I try installing a tank and new toilet.
jwhite
The 300 Club

great source for holding tanks

Postby pmspirito » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:21 pm

I purchased an odd sized tank from a place called Plastic-Mart. I wanted it tall and narrow so I could put it under the kitchen counter for sink water. They have a huge selection of shapes and capacities. They will install your inlet and vent pipe fittings anywhere you want them.

plastic-mart(dot)com
see my cargo trailer build at viewtopic.php?t=45197

Peter Spirito
www.peterspirito.com
pmspirito
Teardrop Master

Postby jwhite » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:04 am

These are a couple photos of where I have the portable toilet.

If I decide to install a regular RV toilet it will go here.

jwhite
The 300 Club

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions