new floor plans / layout ideas

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

new floor plans / layout ideas

Postby Fisher » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:20 pm

Hi everyone.......been following these forums for a while and last year actually started a small build on an old popup frame. However, I made the mistake of taking my wife and daughters to the rv dealer to look for ideas......lol......needless to say, we ended up just buying a small travel trailer soon after. Well, now after having it for about a year and getting more disgusted with the quality of the factory built trailer, I found a 7x12 enclosed trailer for a good price that I just might end up converting. Anyway, here are a couple floor plan ideas I have come up with. The second image has two stools on each side of the island/bar. The drawings are pretty close to scale. I would say within an inch or so. Would like to here your thoughts. Thanks
Mark
Fisher
Teardrop Inspector

Postby pete42 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:03 pm

since you have been camping for sometime already You know what you want in a trailer
with that many beds you must have a large amount of people going along
where do you plan on storing their clothes, and things you need?
I want lots of closet space because I would like to stay for months at a time.
pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Fisher » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:54 pm

Pete, yes, i would agree that it needs more storage. The drawing with the bench would be storage under that and the whole underneath of the bottom bed. The other design would have the storage under the bed and the base of the bar table would have shelves inside as well. As far as people, it is my wife and myself, plus our two daughters. We only ever really do weekend trips, so don't need to pack for long periods of time. The one main thing I am trying to accomplish with this is full time seating and sleeping areas. The trailer we have now has a nice big dinette, but needs to be broken down for sleeping. That lasted about a day before we just left it a bed and then no longer have a place to sit and eat or play cards or whatever. It will also be simple. Just a porta pot and hand pump sink, most of the lighting will be battery powered LED lights. And just a small fridge or cooler under front cabinets and maybe a microwave........
Mark
Fisher
Teardrop Inspector

Postby vtx1029 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:42 am

:thumbsup: I like them both!
vtx1029
Teardrop Master

Postby Wolfscout » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:11 am

Microwaves come in real handy for popcorn munchies at night.
I like the layout with the couch but the bar could be double duty for many things and provide storage. Battery operated, couple LEDs with their own switches under that bar cabinet could come in handy.
Larry Fulmer, Jr.

2016 8X20 Homestead Patriot CTC
CTC 2

'90 6x12 Wells Cargo Trailer Conversion
my 1st build= CTC 1 FB album history.
Wolfscout
500 Club

Postby Fisher » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:29 am

Wolfscout, those are my exact thoughts.....lol
Fisher
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Wolfscout » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:34 am

just a thought....
a Creative mind could figure out how to make the couch part in two sections that could be stacked to make the bar. go ahead and put that upright panel with the ceiling cabinet attached with lights.
Then you'd have the best of both. Stackable bar stools would put them mostly out of the way when not needed.
Larry Fulmer, Jr.

CTC 2

Wolfscout
500 Club

Postby Fisher » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:11 pm

That's a pretty cool idea......hmmmmmmm
Fisher
Teardrop Inspector

Postby dudleydoright » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:25 pm

Wolfscout,

Like the idea of popcorn munchies, but also need some Molson Ice to go with it! :D :D :D

Mike
GONE FISHIN'

ddr
dudleydoright
Teardrop Master

Postby rebapuck » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:41 am

There is alot of storage under the bed, but can you get to it? An outside door would be handy for things like folding chairs, hose hookups etc.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby Wolfscout » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:45 am

if his trailer is a Cargo trailer then there's no question of getting to the storage under the bed from outside.

I'm rethinking that bar idea for my own camper in a redo of the bed. couch .. bar or bed depending.
I like it.
Larry Fulmer, Jr.

CTC 2

Wolfscout
500 Club

Postby rebapuck » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:57 am

The bar seems to be in the middle of the 7' space. That can't leave much standing space on either side. Wouldn't it be better against the wall? Or is there some use for that space.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby Fisher » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:29 pm

The trailer has barn doors on the rear, so yeah, getting to the space under the bed would be easy. The bar is in the middle and I figured it at 24" wide and that would leave a little over 2 feet on each side. The stools would slide under a little, as the bar base cabinet would only be about 12" wide. Wolfscout, I think I will be going this route too as opposed to the couch.
Fisher
Teardrop Inspector

Postby rebapuck » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:24 pm

Two feet on either side, minus the barstools (that slip under alittle). Seems kind of tight to me. With the upper cabinets, your sightline would be only about 15". Someone(s) would have to be outside or in bed at all times. Go stand in a closet. That's about two feet.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby Fisher » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:31 pm

Point taken, but the purpose of the bar being in the middle is so all four of us could sit there, being there are two stools on either side. As far as standing room or walking around inside, it is only a 7x12 trailer after all, so I wouldn't expect it to be super roomy anyway. The factory unit I have now leaves us not much room for walking around and nowhere for full time seating. Just trying to solve that problem with this.
Fisher
Teardrop Inspector

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions