Rear wall

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Rear wall

Postby jwhite » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:45 pm

I was watching you tube and I saw this toyhauler with a rear wall that can be moved.
I thought it was a great idea.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocWMsItAezY&feature=related
jwhite
The 300 Club

I like it!

Postby beccae » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:07 pm

George is bringing a 37 inch lcd tv along, but if he could figure out how to bring his 65 inch 3d plasma,he would.I don't even watch tv. This would work great!
beccae
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jwhite » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:29 pm

I had thought about some type of wall like this but it wasn't until I saw it working that I thought it might work for my trailer.
I have to put in another AC next summer and it looks like alot of people here like the window units so I am thinking about that instead of one on the roof.
I also have some large double plated glass that was used in a sliding glass door I may put in to have a large window.
I have been doing some measureing.
jwhite
The 300 Club

Postby Wolfscout » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:24 pm

That is a neat sliding door. on casters eh? very cool.
Larry Fulmer, Jr.

2016 8X20 Homestead Patriot CTC
CTC 2

'90 6x12 Wells Cargo Trailer Conversion
my 1st build= CTC 1 FB album history.
Wolfscout
500 Club

Postby proformance » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:51 pm

Many of the large Featherlite transporters used by race teams have rear walls with access doors. Some use pocket doors while others use conventional double hinge swing doors.

An idea to maybe consider is to use this concept of having an access door through a rear wall (temporary or permanent) to the rear. You could then lower the ramp door onto stabilizer jacks for an elevated platform/deck off the rear of the trailer. If you left enough room between the rear wall and the closed ramp door, you would have adequate space for a window shaker and other storage. Plus, you could create a screen room by sewing together some sort of tent like structure that attaches to the ramp and rear of the trailer, (similar in concept to the soft-sided fold-out beds.)

This concept will provide an additional 45+ square feet of protected living space to the original square footage of the trailer without too much additional effort.
proformance
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jwhite » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:42 pm

That's exactly what I am going to do,I am going to use a hinged screen door on 1 side and buy a window screen like I have on my house that is 3x5 and have that below the window AC.
I guess I will make some type of insulation plug that will go in the door and window for the summer and take it out in the fall and spring so I can use the open screened area.
I bought the screen that hangs and covers the rear but it is flimsy and a pain to keep it closed and sealed at the bottom,I am sure a moveable wall will look and work better.
I am going to make wood frame box to hold my gas cans when I am traveling that is 5ft wide and the right width to keep the cans secure and the right height so when I take the cans out I can put the box under the rear ramp so I would have that space like a deck,and maybe put a tarp top over the ramp.?
I am going to hinge the wall to the frame on the bed shown,and when it's open it will cover the bed and when its closed it will fit flush with the wall on the other side.
I read that the 6500 btu they sell at lowes for 160.00 is quiet has a remote control and will cool 250 square feet so I think that should work great.
jwhite
The 300 Club

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions