folding bunk beds

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

folding bunk beds

Postby AG25 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:31 pm

has anyone here installed folding bunk beds in there CT?

I see moduline has folding bunk beds available, they are a more than I would like to pay at about $500. Has anyone here used moduline bunk beds and if so how did you like them. The desighn looks fairly simple from the little I can see of it on line.

Has anyone fabricated there own, and if yes how did you do it. I can weld, but need a design. I think it would be very difficult to keep the weight at or below the 75 lbs Modulines are.

Thanks

AG25
AG25
Teardrop Inspector

Re: folding bunk beds

Postby pwo » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:12 pm

Subed. I am interested in this as well. Me and a buddy were going to just wing it and Fab something up but if there is any suggestions or designs it will surely help.
pwo
Teardrop Inspector

Postby b.bodemer » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:42 am

b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby NO David! » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:40 am

We used vertical E-track and surplus military cots mounted to the wall and ceiling with E-track wood beam sockets and hangers.

Scroll down this thread for details:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=48345

David
NO David!
Teardrop Master

Postby 4kidsinatent » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:21 pm

I ordered the liftco brand folding bunk beds, but do not have them yet. We ordered a livin lite VRV and the dealer is putting the liftco beds in it for us, but the VRV isn't here yet.
4kidsinatent
Teardrop Inspector

Postby b.bodemer » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:47 pm

You'll have to let us know how you like them when you take delivery of your trailer.
Barb
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby pwo » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:52 pm

b.bodemer wrote:You'll have to let us know how you like them when you take delivery of your trailer.
Barb

Yes, please let us know how you like them. I like the design it is about what I was thinking about building. The one with the full size bed and bunk on top is exactly what I am wanting to do. Do you know the measurements? Mainly the height folded vs unfolded, I think they maybe to tall for my cargo trailer about 65" Max when folded is all I could do. Let me know if you have any info.
pwo
Teardrop Inspector

Postby pwo » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:58 pm

NO David! wrote:We used vertical E-track and surplus military cots mounted to the wall and ceiling with E-track wood beam sockets and hangers.

Scroll down this thread for details:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=48345

David

I like this idea especially for the price!!!! Can't be beat. Can you give details about how you suspended the ends of the bunks from the roof? How much weight do you think the roof braces are capable of supporting? Details, Details, please....
pwo
Teardrop Inspector

Postby dcraft » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:53 am

Mainly the height folded vs unfolded, I think they maybe to tall for my cargo trailer about 65" Max when folded is all I could do. Let me know if you have any info.

You could always shorten the legs on the bottom bunk, to make the whole unit shorter.
Although it will put your bottom bunk low to the floor.
dcraft
Teardrop Inspector

Postby AG25 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:55 am

Thank you for the good ideas.

AG25
AG25
Teardrop Inspector

Postby 4kidsinatent » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:18 am

Regarding the liftco beds; if you go to their company website, you can click on "products'. Then click on "beds". Then click on "Look at dimensions in PDF."
I don't think they have all their beds on there, but alot of them.

We have a "tip out" for me & husband, and this folding bunk for 2 kids. We still have 2 more kids, don't have wall space to get another folding bunk ....Initially planning on doing 2 cots. Now tossing around idea of doinig hammock for 1, cot for other. Will decide once we get trailer.
So, my rambling point is, you might also look into hammocks if you think it would work for your needs.
4kidsinatent
Teardrop Inspector

Postby NO David! » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:34 pm

Had a few questions about our home built bunk beds...

Disclaimer: "Danger Will Robinson" absolutely no engineering went into this design, i.e. "y'all are on your own on this one..."

Kinedyne makes vertical e-track: We had ours shipped loose with the trailer, our trailer builder shipped horizontal e-track, said they had never heard of vertical. They fixed this later.
http://www.easternmarine.com/E-Track-Strips-Straps-Parts/

I installed the vertical e-track on top of the floor/wall trim and attached it to the wall studs and wall panels.

For the roof, I cut a ~6 foot section and installed it into the roof spanning 4 sections of roof bracing to spread out the load. Note: I have found no evidence that e-track can be used overhead, it just worked for my needs. I nor the manufacturer have any idea how much weight the roof braces will support. I can verify that I made a sling out of the kayak strap and used a single anchor to test the overhead e-track and performed all kinds of circus trapeze acts to the amusement of the kids and the result was a rock solid mount. I had to use fasteners to mount the e-track if you can weld, so much the better. I reasoned that if I spread the load over the 4 braces using a single piece of e-track it would be better. Did the same for the other side of course. When installed the cot has 4 different support points, seems to be more than enough margin for our needs. The e-track, fittings, and straps are way stronger than needed. My concern is related to the mounting points in the trailer itself. Keeping an eye on that one, but so far so good.

Here's the wood beam end socket for the wall mount: I cut a short 2x4 and cutout a round slot for the cot pipe to lay in and made a clip to anchor the pipe into the wood.

Here's a picture during construction, shows the e-track beam sockets, and the overhead mount.

Here's the "flat" d-ring e-track anchor I used for the ceiling mounts:

Here's the cots:
http://store.colemans.com/cart/cot-euro-military-p-610.html

Here's the straps: These are great for everything, I was going to use chain or cable, but had some extra straps, checked their strength rating, and the rest is history.
http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=1440&pdeptid=1188

BTW, these hooks are for hanging cargo beams in big trucks. They are awesome, we use them all the time in the trailer, they fit vertical track or horizontal.
http://www.easternmarine.com/e-or-a-tra ... hook-80023

I'm sure there are much better ways to do this, I was just determined to stay on budget and keep the modular concept of the trailer alive. Can't believe how useful and versatile the e-track has been. I was going to remove the bunks when not needed, but now can simply un-clip the overhead mount, move it to the top of the wall, take up the slack in the straps and presto...the cots rotate up against the wall, and make lots of room for other stuff. The e-track looks pretty utilitarian, but we wanted function first.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program, thanks for looking.

David
NO David!
Teardrop Master

Postby b.bodemer » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:34 pm

Nice set up!
Barb
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby pwo » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:53 pm

@ 4kidsinatent
Thanks for the info demension pdf info. I was looking at the website from my phone and never saw the little link. Looks like the one with the full size bed on bottom is around 70" when folded also takes up around 15" in width when folded...Too much real estate for me to give up.

@ No David
Great info. on your design I appreciate you sharing. It has me thinking.... :thinking: I like how simple it is and looks like it will fit my needs for sure, although the wife may not like being able to be next to me at night. Maybe I will have to pick some of these up and modifiy them. I do see possiblities for a lot less money than it was going to cost in time, and materials of fabricating something. Your idea with the track on the roof is wonderful, it never even crossed my mind and the way you covered it with the laun makes it that much better. :beer:
pwo
Teardrop Inspector

Postby AG25 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:30 am

Thanks No David for the details. I like how simple and functional it is...and I also like the fact the price is reasonable
AG25
Teardrop Inspector

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions