Dickinson vented propane heater

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Dickinson vented propane heater

Postby chukarchaser » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:40 pm

Or any vented propane heater for that matter. Are you comfortable sleeping with them burning. Still crack a window
Have faith in a CO detector that you can't test

Or no still don't sleep while its on
chukarchaser
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Dickinson vented propane heater

Postby Rainier70 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:29 pm

I have a Nuway 2000 propane stove and a CO detector. Yes, I sleep with it on all the time. It is fully vented, but does use room air. I always have a vent open for it and for moisture from breathing even when I don't have a stove on. I know GoneFishin has the Dickinson heater and they also use it all night. Some links are in this repeat of a post I did for a different stove thread. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18584&start=45

Re: Small Heater Question

Postby Rainier70 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:29 pm
I know of several vented heater setups that will work for off road camping. These are more for cargo trailers, but I think they might work in some of the larger teardrops too. The rv furnace would be fairly easy to squeeze into a td camper since it needs very little clearance room.

One is the Dickinson line of boat heaters. They use very little floor space, heat well, are quiet, and use either no battery or very little depending on if you turn the small fan on. Here is a store link to some of them:
http://www.go2marine.com/search.do?q=Di ... ch_button=

Here is a thread on the propane Dickinson installed in a 6x12 cargo trailer.

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=56858

Great stove.

Another is a 12,000 btu rv furnace such as the Atwood Everest Star 8012. The small ones like this use less battery power than the bigger ones, but it still does use about 2 amp hours. It also needs to be permanently installed which either takes up floor space if you haul bikes, or it can be installed on a lower shelf. There is still the fan cycling noise problem that many with rv furnaces complain of. Here is an example from one store:
http://www.adventurerv.net/atwood-evere ... -8605.html

Here is one installed in a 5x8 cargo: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=33848&p=608475#p608475

Another is a Nuway 2000 propane stove: http://www.nuwaystove.com/model2000.php
Which is also used in large tents.

No fan use, but does take up floor space. It can be permanently installed or can be installed as removable for hauling. It does use cabin air for combustion so a small vent should be open. (vent should be open anyway for condensation etc) Here is one installed (look about halfway down the page)
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=55219&start=45
Hope these help.
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KennethW » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:35 am

If the heater users cabin air it is NOT fully vented!! A fully vented heater will have it's own air intake.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Hiflyer » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:31 pm

The dickenson's are fully vented - they have a double chimney in fact

From what I read & see from my own (altho not hooked up yet) I'd have no problem with it in my trailer all sealed up
Hiflyer
Teardrop Master

Postby Rainier70 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:31 pm

Well you can split hairs on what you define as "fully" vented. To me having the exhaust gasses completely vented to the outside is the important part. Not having an enclosed external air intake doesn't change that. I could enclose the stove and provide an air intake directly to it, but it is not as important to me as venting the exhaust gasses out. I make sure that there is plenty of fresh air coming in whether I have the stove on or not.
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby lrrowe » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:42 pm

If I was ready to spend the bucks to add a heater right now, regardless of whether it was vented or not, and if for some reason I would run a heater at night, I too would both have a vent or window open a bit ( no matter how inefficient) it was, and I would have a good CO2 detector going.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby Prem » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:16 pm

:thinking: I never run any kind of heater at night while I sleep. That's safe and sleeping with fresh air coming in is good sleeping. :)
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:50 am

Perm, Howdy;

How cold does it get when you are camping?

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Prem » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:20 am

It gets down to 62* F sometimes! :rofl:

But I use it every day and sometimes there's snow on the roof when it's parked here in the driveway. Hence, electric heat is easy, clean and no issues. 8)

P.S. I've never had a p-e-r-m in my life. :R
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:47 am

PREM, Howdy;

Blaim it on my dylexsic fingurs ;)

hkna
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Prem » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:38 pm

LOL. Speed typing. I get it wrong myself sometimes. :oops:
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:06 pm

Prem, Howdy;;

Speed typing ... yep, snails pace is like super-sonic to me ...

hank
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Gonefishin » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:41 pm

I just saw this, so hopefully without writing a book endorsing my Dickinson heater, I'll just say its the single best piece of camping equipment or trailer equipment I've ever owned. Today, I'd sell my trailer if I didn't have it, or couldn't have it. I just spent nearly a full month in Montana and northern ID (Island Park) with mine, and I ran the heater every night, all night. Ran it through cool to cold mornings too (20 was coldest morning), and a couple days all day and night during that cold storm a few weeks ago when it snowed.

Yes, I'm alive. No fumes, no headaches, and a nice ambiance with the little flame flickering through the glass door. The only time I cracked open a vent was when it got a little too warm. I was getting about 120 or so hours on one 20gal. tank (which really only has 15 when "full" from the trade-in joints) I bought a 20 foot hose so I could hook the line directly to the tank while the tank was still in the back of the pick up on nights where I was mobile. I removed the tank in places where I stayed a few days. No issues there either. I carry two tanks so when one is empty, or about empty, I can switch tanks until I have time to use up the empty and exchange it.

:thumbsup: I also have a carbon monoxide detector with a fresh battery mounted right next to my head at the bed, directly across from the heater, where the fan blows the air. It has not set off the alarm one time, but its there for the one in a million chance . . . :thumbsup:

I love it, I love it, I love it. It has extended my fishing season late into the fall, and also let me do some early spring trips in complete comfort with no worries. I run it any time, as long as I want, with no worries. Did I say I loved it? :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Postby lrrowe » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:32 pm

Gonefishin,
You sure make a compelling case for this heater.
Thank you.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby Gonefishin » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:15 pm

I was a little concerned for my sanity due to the price, but now that I've used it a lot, it was a bargain. I'd pay it again in a heartbeat. What's going to amount to a few bucks a night, and about 20 cents an hour for propane, for effective, quiet (fairly), heat with a visible flame. Some may not like the light of the visible flame, but I've always liked sleeping next to, or sitting by, a campfire. I love sitting inside my trailer on a rainy or snowy night tying flies by the "fire." Sleeping is not a problem. The fan uses negligible power. Can't even notice any battery draw.
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions