7'*18' V-Nose Cargo Trailer Toy Hauler Conversion

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: 7'*18' V-Nose Cargo Trailer Toy Hauler Conversion

Postby flboy » Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:56 am

I finally got an official weight for the 7x18. It was fully loaded for travel except no motorcycle on board. The CAT scales had it at 5,420 and I weighed the hitch weight at 950 lbs, so 6,370lbs total. The trailer has a 7,000lb GVWR so no issues with dirtbikes that are less than 350lbs each, but I'd have to drain some out of the water tanks (480lbs full) if I put the Victory on board as it is little over 800 lbs. Also, I could get rid of 200lbs by replacing Golf Car batteries with LiFePo4 equivalent aH.

I have put on Load Range D tires and SumoSprings, so no suspension/tire straining issues, I just have to watch the 7,000 GVWR to ensure no problems with the law.

Always knew I was close. If I were to do another tandem axle, I'd just make sure they were 5,000lb axles. Again, not an expensive upgrade when built, but gives plenty of margin.

Overall, trailer pulls and handles well with a good hitch weight. The F250 does handle better than the F150.. due to better braking and the Heavy Duty suspension I am sure. Both have plenty of HP/torque to tow it. The trailer is heavy, but built to take the long washboard dirt roads without coming apart.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Karebru » Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:42 pm

flboy wrote: The CAT scales had it at 5,420 and I weighed the hitch weight at 950 lbs, so 6,370lbs total.

I'm trying to picture the math and the physics...
There are five weight distribution(contact) points... The 4 tires and the hitch. Their total is the trailer weight.
When I weighed mine, I took the total weight of the truck and trailer, parked the trailer, and subtracted the weight of the truck by itself without any weight on the hitch.
The difference is the trailer weight. No?
I'm not going outside until the temperature is above my age.
Karebru
The 300 Club

Postby flboy » Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:19 pm

Yes, that is one way to do it.

When you weigh on the "drive over" truck scales, the tow vehicle and trailer are connected and they weigh the truck and trailer on separate scales. Truck scales weigh the steer axle, drive axle , and the trailer ( 3 independent scales). My setup only hits the steer and drive axle scales . My truck covers the steer axle scale and trailer covers the drive axle scale.

I need to know my hitch weight which gets added back to the trailer and subtracted from the truck if you want to know their respective standalone weights.

In my case, I have a hitch weight scale that gives me the hitch weight making that easy.

Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Karebru » Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:31 pm

I saw the hitch weight scale when you posted it and got one myself. It shows me a TW of about 650 lbs.
I parked on the scales the same way you did with the whole truck on the Steer and trailer on the Drive to get the total, then weighed the truck by itself. I did notice that the Steer axle weight (truck) was 580 lbs heavier with the trailer attached. A difference of 70 lbs. from that 650. I picture that difference as weight being transferred towards the back of the trailer by the WD hitch. Driving it, I can tell that it also transfers some to the front of the truck.
I think I might overthink things... Like whether or not I'm overthinking something. :roll:
Karebru
The 300 Club

Postby John61CT » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:50 pm

Hitch weight should be 8-10% of total, 12% would IMO be danger territory.

If you are regularly adding bikes to the back that should be taken into account.

Water or fuel storage are convenient variables to add / drop / shift weight around, maybe batteries, spare tire.

Otherwise, low and near the axles is always best for the densest stuff.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby flboy » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:55 pm

John61CT wrote:Hitch weight should be 8-10% of total, 12% would IMO be danger territory.

If you are regularly adding bikes to the back that should be taken into account.

Water or fuel storage are convenient variables to add / drop / shift weight around, maybe batteries, spare tire.

Otherwise, low and near the axles is always best for the densest stuff.

Everything I've ever read says 10%-15% is ideal. The trailer is at 15%. I know it is not good to go less (tail wagging), but even if it is higher ... say 17%, what is the danger assuming the truck and trailer are level and load capacity and hitch weights are not exceeded? Please explain. Very curious.

In any case, the bikes do load more aft... and I can reduce weight up front with liFePo4 batteries instead of the SLA batteries and carry less H20 if I need to.
Last edited by flboy on Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby flboy » Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:17 pm

Karebru wrote:I saw the hitch weight scale when you posted it and got one myself. It shows me a TW of about 650 lbs.
I parked on the scales the same way you did with the whole truck on the Steer and trailer on the Drive to get the total, then weighed the truck by itself. I did notice that the Steer axle weight (truck) was 580 lbs heavier with the trailer attached. A difference of 70 lbs. from that 650. I picture that difference as weight being transferred towards the back of the trailer by the WD hitch. Driving it, I can tell that it also transfers some to the front of the truck.
I think I might overthink things... Like whether or not I'm overthinking something. :roll:

I am not sure why the 70lbs difference between methods except that there may be some tolerance in the scale itself and also, there is a difference if you weigh the trailer at the jack vs. the tongue (see manual) which can account for about somewhere between 35 and 50 lbs... The truck on the scale is seeing the hitch/tongue weight.
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Karebru » Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:04 pm

flboy wrote:
I am not sure why the 70lbs difference between methods except that there may be some tolerance in the scale itself and also, there is a difference if you weigh the trailer at the jack vs. the tongue (see manual) which can account for about somewhere between 35 and 50 lbs... The truck on the scale is seeing the hitch/tongue weight.

I believe the truck scale is showing me the actual tongue weight while using the WD hitch. My measurement with the tongue weight scale was taken at the... "cup?" that receives the ball.
I may nit-pick numbers, but I agree that reasonably heavy tongue weight is your friend. As long as steering remains solid, I want the majority of the overall weight as far forward as possible. Braking hard and being pushed but the weight of a tail heavy rig is not a pleasant experience.
Karebru
The 300 Club

Postby hankaye » Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:06 pm

Howdy All;

A very easy method to determine the weight without either item influencing the other is to crank
down the landing gear and separate the two. Takes a few extra minutes but then you will truly
know what each weights at that moment. Things will change, how full was your gas/fuel tank?
Did you run through some mud/snow/accumulate some ice/snow (spit!). How full are any tanks
you have onboard.

In my area there are several chile/onion processing plants that have scales. So if anyone needs
to scale anything that's where they go. If there isn't an armada of trucks entering or leaving you
can go to one and pay to weigh. Explain that you need to weigh each separately and then do
what ya need to do. Other places that you can take your time at are moving companies, and
aggregate (stone yards).

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby onehoser » Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:52 pm

i get mine weighed at the local landfill site, if you tell them you only want to weigh your rig they give you a printout and don’t charge for it :)
I am the wisest man alive, for i know one thing, and that is that i know nothing. (socrates)
onehoser
The 300 Club

Postby flboy » Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:58 am

May be too good to be true, but I took the chance for $136.79 to upgrade to LiFePo4 in the 7*18 CTC. If they are not as advertised, I will dispute and AliExpress is very good to resolve. In any case, AliExpress is having their 11-11 sale which is equivalent to Cyber Monday. I paid and they actually shipped so we will see in late Dec/Jan if they arrive.

In any case, assuming they are good, I will order the BMS for $109. Less than $250 for 320aH. At 49lbs, I will shed 200lbs from my CTC by getting rid of the 4 golf cart batteries that only have 225aH usable with LiFePo4 and ~290ah useable (reserve 10%) which will also improve my Solar Charging performance since LiFePo4 charges at full current until 100%. This change will additionally free up the battery bay under the forward dinette seat for more storage.

More to come if I actually get what is advertised and they are good.

Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:00 am

flboy, Howdy;

For we the non-electronic/electrical speaking members could you translate what the
item description of the battery you ordered says/means ? Are you ordering just 1
or is it 16 little Blue bricks. Will you need to go through the whole process that you
did for the bricks you used in the smaller trailer or are these already to drop in place
and hook up "as is"? Thanks for the information and enlightening we the un illuminated.
Chucklin'

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby flboy » Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:51 pm

hankaye wrote:flboy, Howdy;

For we the non-electronic/electrical speaking members could you translate what the
item description of the battery you ordered says/means ? Are you ordering just 1
or is it 16 little Blue bricks. Will you need to go through the whole process that you
did for the bricks you used in the smaller trailer or are these already to drop in place
and hook up "as is"? Thanks for the information and enlightening we the un illuminated.
Chucklin'

hank

H Hank. Sure...I have ordered 4pcs which is qty. 4 individual 3.2V cells that when put in series, become one 12.8V Cell. I will have to do the same thing I did for the small trailer. I have to top balance them and then assemble and install the battery Management System (BMS) and package it into a group 27 Marine case.

The order is weird. They sell them as 4, 8 or 16 pieces and you first have to select one of those, then select how many of that selection you want. So I selected the 4pcs and qty 1 of the 4 pieces. notice the "4Pcs" right under the description. It is a greyed out text. Apparently, the minimum order is 4 and then multiples of four after that.

I haven't ordered the BMS yet because it will cost about $109 and it will arrive in a few weeks after being ordered unlike the batteries which will take 2 or 3 months by boat. I want to make sure the cells are good before I throw good money after bad. Since I am getting them so cheap, I am skeptical. I just think it is worth the risk even if they don't have the full 310aH of capacity. I'd be thrilled with 280aH. This will replace 4 golf cart batteries, so the cost for LiFePo4 batteries in this case will be about half of the Lead Acid with significantly (225aH vs 310aH) more useable capacity and more than 150lbs less weight.

Time will tell.
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:02 pm

craycray cheap very suspicious

did they accept PP?
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby flboy » Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:09 pm

I'd agree. Payment was to AliExpress via PayPal, so I will have recourse if they are not as advertised. At the end of the day, a $134 risk. PayPal has bailed me out before, so I risked it.

Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions