Tool boxes outside ctc

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: Tool boxes outside ctc

Postby Shadow Catcher » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:19 pm

Microlite http://www.microlitetrailer.com/ has tool boxes integrated behind the fender supported by the frame.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby jerry4570 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:39 pm

Microlite http://www.microlitetrailer.com/ has tool boxes integrated behind the fender supported by the frame.

That's exactly what I am trying to do. If I can find a box the correct size that I can fit behind the fender and use the frame for lower support.145387
jerry4570
Teardrop Builder

Postby m.colley » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:58 pm

jerry4570 wrote:

That's exactly what I am trying to do. If I can find a box the correct size that I can fit behind the fender and use the frame for lower support.145387

Hey Jerry,
I'm not sure how wide your fenders extend off your trailer but mine only stand off about 9 inches. I found a few " utility boxes" at Northern Tool that will probably work and the price is reasonable.

Martin
m.colley
The 300 Club

Postby jerry4570 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:51 am

Hey Jerry,
I'm not sure how wide your fenders extend off your trailer but mine only stand off about 9 inches. I found a few " utility boxes" at Northern Tool that will probably work and the price is reasonable.

Thanks Martin, I've been looking at northern tool but I guess I need to get out the big book.
jerry4570
Teardrop Builder

Postby Paypgomonohomo » Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:59 am

Good tool.
Paypgomonohomo
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Grummy » Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:29 pm

Don't look for those overpriced boxes, just BUILD what you need like I did. Both sides of mine are done now. The Passenger side has my lithium battery and storage space. I did that like a full year ago. The left side now contains pretty much my entire water system including the hot water heater. This keeps everything but two lines OUTSIDE the trailer to avoid any water damage from surprise leaks.

Simply buy the matching tandem style fender for the top, round back or angled flat to match what you have for fenders now, cutting one end off to get the length you need. Simply buy and bend to shape the bottom and door from 1/8" aluminum sheet. You don't even necessarily have to be able to bend it, you can just cut it and use lightweight aluminum angle and pop rivet it together.

I only bought one fender, and got enough to do both sides. I originally had lead acid batteries and put supports underneath that side, but the lithium probably didn't need it. I can now stand on either side when I need to because of all the support the box shape provides.

If you are a registered member, you can see the images of mine in my gallery: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1304

Or Dig back thru the posts I put in place as a build history here: viewtopic.php?t=70777
Grummy
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions