Tool boxes outside ctc

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Tool boxes outside ctc

Postby jerry4570 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:51 pm

I always carry a lot of tools and equipment to "be prepared" so I want multiple tool boxes outside my 12 ft. v-nose cargo trailer conversion. I've tried the search feature without luck, so can anyone point me in the right direction. I've found some over fender boxes and side boxes that should fit the bill but would like to know how others have mounted tool boxes and if good sources for boxes are known.
jerry4570
Teardrop Builder

Re: Tool boxes outside ctc

Postby Donut757 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:15 pm

Loaded toolboxes over fenders would have quite a bit of weight, i would think. What about toolbox on tongue? Or rooftop storage?
Donut757
Teardrop Master

Postby jerry4570 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:02 am

I wont keep anything heavy in them, I have a toolbox in the bed of the truck for that stuff. I do want a box on the tongue but being a v-nose there isn't much room there. I really just need more cubic feet for the bulky stuff like the tarp for the awning and such.
jerry4570
Teardrop Builder

Postby Gonefishin » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:42 am

Trailer hitch and cargo rack/box on the rear? Just a thought. I've been meaning to do that with mine since day one. Of course, 5+ years later, still thinking about it!
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:59 am

jerry4570, Howdy;

I don't know how your fenders are attached to your trailer but mine aren't
designed for anything that has any kind of weight to be placed on them.
Mostly they were designed to rip off with minimal damage to the side wall
should you have a blow-out with the tire. Just remember that most of the
side skin is about 0.032" or thereabouts so you'll need to use the upright
supports to attach your tool box. If I were going to install something for
tarp or awning storage I'd look for something along these lines;
http://www.autoanything.com/truck-toolb ... it-carrier
That's just for idea purposes. Ya might want to check out Tommy B's waste
hose storage set-up about 1/2 way down the page;
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=66084&start=555

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Donut757 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:49 am

What about a trailer hitch cargo basket/carrier in back of trailer?

If using for bulk/extra stuff can just remove carrier if need access to rear door. It would be a relatively cheap additim compared to expensive toolboxes.
Donut757
Teardrop Master

Postby lrrowe » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:09 am

And there is a swing away rack assembly made for rear trailer hitches. I had considered it one time for mine and may go with one for my truck when driving the beach, surf fishing.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby Hader » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:13 am

If I had to do it, I would get some 10" to 12" or so tool boxes and place them in front and behind the fenders. I would run some support "3/4" plywood or some kind of steel purlin" across the uprights inside the trailer and bolt the boxes through the skin to the support without drilling into the uprights.
Hader
Silver Donating Member

Postby Donut757 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:09 pm

Hader wrote:If I had to do it, I would get some 10" to 12" or so tool boxes and place them in front and behind the fenders. I would run some support "3/4" plywood or some kind of steel purlin" across the uprights inside the trailer and bolt the boxes through the skin to the support without drilling into the uprights.

If going this route, shelf style L brackets may not be bad idea to help with extra support and less stress if any weight is in the toolboxes
Donut757
Teardrop Master

Postby Hader » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:50 pm

"If going this route, shelf style L brackets may not be bad idea to help with extra support and less stress if any weight is in the toolboxes"

My thinking was to avoid holes in the uprights.
The inside (let's call it Cross member) will distribute the pull over all uprights where they are the strongest (close to the floor), it would result less holes and intrusion into the frame and skin.
Hader
Silver Donating Member

Postby Donut757 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:52 pm

Hader wrote:"If going this route, shelf style L brackets may not be bad idea to help with extra support and less stress if any weight is in the toolboxes"

My thinking was to avoid holes in the uprights.
The inside (let's call it Cross member) will distribute the pull over all uprights where they are the strongest (close to the floor), it would result less holes and intrusion into the frame and skin.

10-4... My mind automatically went to thinking using brackets to attach to "Cross member" and attaching toolbox to brackets as the actually shelf i guess you could say...... Was kind of think doing something similar to set up an outside table that would have adjustable legs on side away from trailer. But i see what you are saying and unserstand
Donut757
Teardrop Master

Postby jerry4570 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:45 am

Trailer hitch and cargo rack/box on the rear? Just a thought. I've been meaning to do that with mine since day one. Of course, 5+ years later, still thinking about it!

Great idea, I think I'm going to be tongue heavy anyway.

I don't know how your fenders are attached to your trailer but mine aren't
designed for anything that has any kind of weight to be placed on them.
Mostly they were designed to rip off with minimal damage to the side wall
should you have a blow-out with the tire. Just remember that most of the
side skin is about 0.032" or thereabouts so you'll need to use the upright
supports to attach your tool box. If I were going to install something for
tarp or awning storage I'd look for something along these lines;
http://www.autoanything.com/truck-toolb ... it-carrier
That's just for idea purposes. Ya might want to check out Tommy B's waste
hose storage set-up about 1/2 way down the page;
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=66084&start=555

The over-fender boxes I refered to are just cut out to go over a fender, I suppose in a pickup bed they might use the fender but I wasn't going to have any contact with the fender in my installation. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Better-B ... lsrc=aw.ds

And there is a swing away rack assembly made for rear trailer hitches. I had considered it one time for mine and may go with one for my truck when driving the beach, surf fishing.

I'm going to look into that, sounds interesting.

If I had to do it, I would get some 10" to 12" or so tool boxes and place them in front and behind the fenders. I would run some support "3/4" plywood or some kind of steel purlin" across the uprights inside the trailer and bolt the boxes through the skin to the support without drilling into the uprights.

I hadn't considered this, you think its important to avoid drilling into the uprights? Simple enough to use a plywood backing as you suggest.
jerry4570
Teardrop Builder

Postby Hader » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:41 am

Drilling through the posts will not give you any more strength, but it will tie you to where you can drill for the bolts and location of the boxes..
Inside purlin or purlins will give you more options on drilling location and placement of boxes.
Hader
Silver Donating Member

Postby lrrowe » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:00 pm

[quote]And there is a swing away rack assembly made for rear trailer hitches. I had considered it one time for mine and may go with one for my truck when driving the beach, surf fishing

I'm going to look into that, sounds interesting.

[quote]

Here is a link to it. Pricey. I have a DIY version planned in my head.
https://www.stowaway2.com/hitch-frames
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby jerry4570 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:41 pm

Here is a link to it. Pricey. I have a DIY version planned in my head.
https://www.stowaway2.com/hitch-frames

I like it, if it works well it would be worth the price.
jerry4570
Teardrop Builder

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions