Off-Road Worthy 5x8 Conversion

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: Off-Road Worthy 5x8 Conversion

Postby Modstock » Mon May 10, 2021 10:33 pm

Don't let the kids ruin your fun. Im sure you can still get a few years out of it. Youtuber "playing with sticks" has their lil one with em everywhere they go.

Sent from my SM-A115AP using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby jmanscotch » Mon May 10, 2021 10:58 pm

Absolutely. We don’t plan to let it stop us when the time is right, but there’s a few key considerations.

The first and most important is that the wife has requested more room and water. We could pretty easily add onboard water, but room for changing a kiddo and such isn’t happening. She’s also mentioned bathroom type accommodations and that’s another impossible fix for a 5x8.

Second, we live at 6,000-7,000 ft in elevation. We really only enjoy camping at higher elevations (temp, sights, etc) and that puts us at 9,000-12,000 ft. That type of camping would be off the table for this summer and next, so that’s two years out of commission. With the wife’s wants list, it didn’t make sense to me to wait two years to use it more while still not getting her the function she wants.

That said, don’t worry, there’s going to be something that replaces this camper, something sorta smallish that I can modify and we can still take to the areas we love. It’ll be less capable, but more focused on comfort with a kiddo. It’ll also probably be a year or two out.

Selling our camper isn’t the end of a life we enjoy, just an adjustment in the focus of what we have to do it in. This camper was always built as comfortable 5x8 camper that’d go anywhere our tow rig would...and now it needs to go anywhere our comfort limits allow. We’re a bit older, for the kid front (30s) so we’ve set ourselves up nicely to afford some comforts if the wifey wants ;)
jmanscotch
Teardrop Master

Postby jmanscotch » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:55 pm

Still for sale, willing to talk closer to $10,000. Been too busy using it to clean it up and post it for sale locally, hopefully soon.

Took a trip down to New Mexico to the family ranch for a memorial service.

Out camping with the wife a few times.

All around Colorado

Even got another good little trip in with my dad last weekend, then left him up in the mountains with the trailer for this week.

jmanscotch
Teardrop Master

Postby hankaye » Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:06 am

jmanscotch, Howdy;

Just a suggestion but, you can always put some posters up in a few of the Fly Fishing shops.
If ya haven't already.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby jmanscotch » Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:39 am

Hey Hank, not a bad idea sir. Hope all is well in your world sir!

Cheers!
jmanscotch
Teardrop Master

Postby flboy » Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:54 am

Looks like your Dad is enjoying himself. Nice camping memories made. Treasure them! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Good luck with the sale of your CTC. Thinking of selling my 7*18 also, but not sure what to ask for it. It is worth something for sure... but now it is 4 years old.

I am going the opposite direction as you.. going from larger to smaller. My 6*12 toy hauler that I intend to take more backwoods places is in process. Still keeping a permanent inside hot shower in the build. That is just something I value when camping.
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby jmanscotch » Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:32 am

Trailer sold a few months back for $9,600 if anyone is curious. I consider it a fair deal: more than I was into it in parts, but got to enjoy it for several years. Sold it locally, so get to enjoy still seeing it around some (like the first trailer we built).

As 2022 rolls in, we have a new baby girl at home that’s almost 7 weeks old now and we’re going to focus on that for a while…though we are *casually* shopping new trailers and potential builds again, so we’ll see. There doesn't seem to be anything on then market that checks the boxes we really want, so there just might be a new build one of these days.

Of course, after selling the trailer I was bored with the lack of toys and convinced the 7 month pregnant wife I needed a new bike, so snagged a 2022 Yamaha TW200 for some adventures. The new trailer will likely need to be able to haul the bike to the mountains for the family to use.

Cheers, and happy New Year to all you TNTTT folks!

Let me introduce our new little adventurer, Riley:

jmanscotch
Teardrop Master

Postby flboy » Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:04 am

Congrats on the daughter. She is beautiful. All the best for 2022!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:03 am

jmanscotch, Howdy;

Outstanding! Both on the sale and the sprout on the family tree!

When ya'll find the 'new' project don't forget about us. chucklin'

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby pchast » Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:10 pm

Congratulations on your new additions. :D

Wishing you all a happy and healthy new year.......
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby jmanscotch » Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:36 am

Appreciate it gents. If we don’t find something that fits our needs enough, I’ll definitely be back with a larger off road CTC build. Even if we find something that fits budget and function, it’ll likely need modifications and I’ll detail that too.

Cheers!
jmanscotch
Teardrop Master

Postby western traveler » Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:30 am

Seems you have enjoyed the journey to its fullest and have had your priorities in order the entire time.
Happy wife, happy life.
Congratulations on the new addition to your family. Did you modify the face shield for a handle on the baby carrier? :thumbsup:
Here’s to a healthy prosperous New Year.
I look forward to seeing’s the next build and suspect it will be as much fun to follow along as this one was.
Ralph
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby jmanscotch » Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:21 am

Well, our journey to find a replacement adventure trailer has ended for now. We purchased a trailer that isn't a TNTTT worthy rig, a 2019 Aliner Titanium 12.

We took it out and enjoy it, it is no where near as robust as what we typically aim for, but it has the ground clearance to go down basic trails we like to traverse and checked all the other boxes we need for a few years: room for the family, propane heater, indoor space, not HUGE, affordable and can do basic off road (though I'm sure we'll destroy it if we try too much in it).

Here's out first trip a few weeks ago:

We have a entire queen bed and still have another side of the camper to fit a packnplay for the kiddo...

Really, the only compromises are off road ability and an indoor bathroom, but we can live without the off road bit for a few years and there's plans to remove the refrigerator and put in a slide out toilet.

Effectively, I feel this wraps up our build thread here on TNTTT and wanted to share to close out this chapter. It might be a few years, but I see another build in our future. I just enjoy making something that fits our needs too much and never find what we want on the market, so the day will come that we'll be back, until then, here's my last and most recent favorite photo of the happy family.

Cheers my friends,
Jake
jmanscotch
Teardrop Master

Postby pchast » Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:35 pm

Looking good.
Be Well! :thumbsup:
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby jmanscotch » Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:26 am

Another build incoming…6x10 cargo trailer this time.

We sold the Aliner and ordered a custom cargo trailer about 2 months ago..and it’s almost here. I’m excited!
jmanscotch
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions