Ameralite ATTX 6x12 Build

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: Ameralite ATTX 6x12 Build

Postby rebar » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:54 pm

Thanks for posting your build thread and explaining all the details Grummy, as I want a mini toyhauler to replace my big old one to. Very well thought out, and cleanly installed. Even if someone doesnt haul any toys, the ramp adds a nice deck and takes the claustrophobic feel away from a CTC imo. I considered a grumman to, but decided it was to wide and tall to drive it to remote mountain locations. Plus, it's hard to find them with the 6 cylinder cummins I wanted and converting them to 4x4 would cost a fortune.

Anyway.. Build on and subscribed!
97 12 valve 4x4 5 speed
rebar
Teardrop Master

Postby Grummy » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:57 pm

Thanks rebar.... Still LOTS I want to do. But it will wait until fall so I can enjoy it in the meantime. Here I was camped in Mackinaw City MI. just a few days back. Beautiful place to camp with great views of the Mackinaw Straights and Bridge.

Grummy
Teardrop Master

Postby Grummy » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:13 pm

FINALLY finding time to get at the interior upholstery work ! I added a few new pictures to my gallery: gallery/album.php?album_id=4862

In the next few weeks, I'm determined to finally get at doing the seat and bed cushion covers, so, I'll have to start thinking of what kind of pattern/concept I will apply to those. Nowhere near done though..... Indirect lighting, frame mounted water tank, under sink hot water heater, AC window unit in the "V".... Working way, way too many hours this last year. I think I need a FEW more years and I'll get it done.

Here is looking down the passenger side wall > 162961
Grummy
Teardrop Master

Postby Grummy » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:14 am

Finally the Seat and Bed cushion work is done too. Well, almost done. Still need to put some snaps or velcro in tabs just to hold them from sliding around. I put simple pleats in it because when you just leave it plain, it always shows wrinkles. In pictures, the vinyl looks to have white lines in it, but it really doesn't look that way in normal light.

I moved on to getting all the indirect lighting in place. Of course it can be dimmed, and adjusted to be a zillion different colors. I control all the LED lighting with 4 controllers. This gives me the option to light just the area or areas I desire to. One very simple switch near the bed, lights up the cabinet toe space and ceiling of the bathroom with Red Led lights for any night trips.

Up front, eventually, PIR motion detectors will detect motion such as a hand moving into any of the front storage cubby holes and turn on a white light in that particular cubby, turning it off after a few seconds of no more motion. Old age has brought me diminished eyesight in dark areas. I NEED to SEE !

Next up, a rework of my awning poles, so that 98% of the framework itself stays mounted on the trailer, ready to swing up, pull out and drop the legs down for faster deployment. I'm using Fiberglass/Aluminum extendable paint poles, attached to the trailer with boat handrail and bimini hardware. Tarp will still slide in a Keder rail as I don't mind that.
Grummy
Teardrop Master

Postby Grummy » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:09 pm

And as I promised myself, I got my new awning framework built and installed. The only thing left is to heat shrink black over those bright yellow ferrules. Maybe it looks a little clumsy, but I guess no more than a roll-up would (I can't afford a rollup).

No more carrying poles, no more getting the right poles in the right place. No more guiding others what goes where. All poles but one remain on the trailer when collapsed. There was no simple way to avoid this with the tire/fender in the way, but it is only a 65" tube, and it stands perfectly clipped into a Kayak Paddle clamp right inside the ramp door.

With this system, I can very quickly deploy the forward section over the door in bad weather and deal with the back half later. When fully deployed, it looks just like earlier posted images because I am using the same tarp yet. Next year, I will sew up a new awning tarp as this one is just a cheap silver poly tarp and there are spots you can see that are thin. More detailed images are in my gallery.

A similar system like this will be put together to address a mildly similar issue with my rear deck "Add-a-Room" as two of those poles are a pain to deal with.

Still LOTS I want to do this year yet !
Grummy
Teardrop Master

Postby Grummy » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:45 pm

And Finally, an under floor water tank. This is something I was looking forward to as I was carrying jugs under the sink, and that side of the trailer was already the heavier side. Here you can see I bumped it to the passenger side as much as possible.

I put the filler on the Drivers side though and made this aluminum shell cover for it. Here too, I had hoped to get this in place long ago because when going down the road, the wind made the fender waver and wiggle. This bracket/cover would be the brace or bracket to stop that and avoid a future crack in the fender. Sadly, I am too late as I found the fender already got a crack started on the outside edge because of it. DANG !

I'm thinking this year's mods are pretty much over. I do have to modify the winter cover a bit to clear some new additions, but I think that will be about all, even though I have a full page of mods and additions still to do.
Grummy
Teardrop Master

Postby jaws_1972 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:19 pm

Grummy wrote:And Finally, an under floor water tank. This is something I was looking forward to as I was carrying jugs under the sink, and that side of the trailer was already the heavier side. Here you can see I bumped it to the passenger side as much as possible.

Hi Grummy,

Did you notice any adverse effects to having all the water on one side, or having the kitchen side heavier?

Jeff
Jeff (aka Jaws)

My build
Legend 7x16+2V "Lucky" Build
jaws_1972
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Grummy » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:03 am

>>>Did you notice any adverse effects to having all the water on one side, or having the kitchen side heavier?

Not really. But that is because I have always been conscious of where I figured I would need to counterweight, especially for the longer runs. In other words, If there was not going to be a scoot on the passenger side, I would tend to load things that might otherwise go in the tow vehicle into the trailer to compensate.

But, there have been times where I have towed with nothing at all down the passenger side, not even the removable fridge, and it towed just fine. Overall, I have been very impressed with the tracking and ride of this thing, but I never, ever run with too little tongue weight.
Grummy
Teardrop Master

Postby jaws_1972 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:39 am

Thanks! I'm putting my fresh water on the driver's side of the trailer to limit the number of tanks under it. I figured 330lb in a trailer rated for 7000lb wouldn't make much of a difference. My fridge, battery and converter are all on the passenger side. I'll also put the M/C towards the passenger side when used as a toy hauler.

Initially I was worried about too much tongue weight, but now I'm worried about too little. The first fresh water tank will be over the axles, but the second is planned to be slightly behind. I might be changing things up as I get further into this. I do have room under the trailer if I need to move some tanks forward. Or they could go in the kitchen cabinetry but I would lose some storage space. Always a compromise. Starting to think dual 20lbs propane tanks and more batteries on the tongue is the way to go. Plus the dual 20's setup seems to be the cheapest and easiest since I have a very short v-nose tongue.
Jeff (aka Jaws)

My build
Legend 7x16+2V "Lucky" Build
jaws_1972
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Grummy » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:42 am

>>> Initially I was worried about too much tongue weight, but now I'm worried about too little.

It is a "Fluid" situation when your building, isn't it ? Lol....

>>> The first fresh water tank will be over the axles, but the second is planned to be slightly behind. I might be changing things up as I get further into this.

Sometimes you have to ! We can plan on what we think various levels in those tanks will be at various travel times, and what that will relate to for towing. But we might not always guess right. Where is your waste tank? I've selected to put a grey tank just behind my axle because on return trips, I can opt to dump or not based on my tongue situation. At least you have a tandem which will give you a little more room for error.

>>>Starting to think dual 20lbs propane tanks and more batteries on the tongue is the way to go.

I think some builders end up in trouble because they are afraid to locate enough weight behind their axle early on. Then they end up too heavy up front. As you understand, you can always use the tongue as a storage location for compensation. And lets not ignore the fact that the trailer builders have been PURPOSELY locating axles back a nudge farther so the uninformed don't get in trouble quite as easily.

I always roughly knew what was going up on my tongue and how I could make it whatever I needed it to be, so I purposely located plenty of things behind my axle to start with. Golly gee, items all located behind my single axle consist of: Grey tank, Battery(s), Head w/5 gallons in a porta-potti, the weight of a loaded fridge, Solar panels and control, 120/12v power source, lawn chairs, microwave and half of the kitchen cabinet.... and more ! Yet, I still have enough tongue weight to avoid sway mostly because of that setback axle.

Like you, I'm in a similar situation with my final tongue weight simply because my tongue designated "cargo" box has not been built yet. I have a temporary "box" that I can fill or empty accordingly now, but what I build will at least have storage on the drivers side and a generator on the passenger side, again to compensate the drivers side. I'd sure like to fit the diesel heater up there too.... After next summers "weigh in", I will know more of what to attempt.

WHAT exactly I will build for a tongue box is yet a challenge as with the V-Nose, I am really having trouble with top doors and hinging options. Lastly, I keep in mind that I can go as high with a storage box as necessary to create the tongue weight I need. You can do similar if you keep in mind that a storage area can go UNDER your 20lb tanks if required. Nothing says you have to have tanks right tight to the tongue. Lucky you, you have less of a nightmare keeping it all under trailer gross weight. It goes away awful quick with a single axle !
Grummy
Teardrop Master

Postby Grummy » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:25 pm

The next few posts will reflect a few updates on the trailer....

I joined the Lithium Battery Club.

Hard to swallow that $1000 price tag, but I get it now ! Really different than the old Lead acid. Voltage drop is now noted in tenths instead of full numbers. The new 200Ah battery is the same weight as the old 100ah lead acid and fits perfect in my battery box.

Ampere Time suggests I should have 600 watts of solar, but I still only have 200 watts on the roof. I bought 2 more 100 watt panels and turned them into a folding portable unit. 400 watts in the sun seems to be plenty adequate... I'd like to get 2 more panels on the roof, but I have a few other things to finish before I add any more weight ahead of the axle.
Last edited by Grummy on Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grummy
Teardrop Master

Postby Grummy » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:30 pm

I sewed up a full awning enclosure after a buggy outing.

Not the best pic, but I ordered the 4 wall screen kit for a 10 x 10 straight wall pop-up, as well as a "tent kit". Massaged each and sewed them together into one unit so that I have a full screen room with roll down interior privacy walls. All is held in place with a full velcro strip at the top edge, but had to get creative along the down edges. Also had to make a skirt that snaps the open bottom of the trailer shut. Worked fantastic !
Grummy
Teardrop Master

Postby Grummy » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:35 pm

Got a good start on a permanent front tongue box...

This box is not done. I had to put a top on in a hurry for a trip. At least it is a good template ! The floor is not correct yet and there will be a trim panel below the bottom edge. The thing is huge compared to what I was using, and there is room for my Pulsar generator in there as well. I made it such that when my TV is in full lock turn, I still clear everything by an inch. Sure, I have to take care if I am not on a perfect level surface, but I can use care in those circumstances.
Grummy
Teardrop Master

Postby hankaye » Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:57 am

Grummy, Howdy;

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Looks good!

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Grummy » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:12 am

I Finished the top for the box. Found the correct hinge to keep the water out and allow easy access. Covered the top with 1/8" Volara foam and a Pewter Snakeskin vinyl. I am happy with the way it turned out. Now I need to figure out how best to pack it !

Grummy
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions