7x17 Cargo Trailer Toy Hauler

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: 7x17 Cargo Trailer Toy Hauler

Postby chiefvintage » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:08 pm

flboy wrote:If you just want to be cool at night.. it will work for that. Mine did keep it cool at night... due to the outside temp dropping and lack of sunlight on trailer skin. It never did really dry it out in the CTC however, as it was pulling in humid outside air at the rate it discharges air outside... but the moving cool air was nice for sleeping.

I did modify my unit to make a 2 hose system where is could draw condenser cooling air from outside, and it did help a lot... it was just not a 1 to 1 ratio. I used a cake pan the same size as the intake on the rear of the unit and made a foam gasket and cut a 4 inch hole in it and attached a dryer hose and put another hole in the floor. I used 2 bungee cords to hold the cake pan on snugly.

Best of luck. Enjoy camping season!
Don
So if I’m following you correctly your saying to minimize the negative (differential) pressure between inside and outside air. So introduce more outside air directly across the condensing coil, but isolated from the recirculating inside air across the evaporator coil? I’m no HVAC expert but I assume these portable units have both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chiefvintage
Teardrop Advisor

Postby chiefvintage » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:11 pm

McDave wrote:
chiefvintage wrote: I do ride my motorcycle year round still, love the cold weather!

Well come on up here Chief. It's not cold all year round but there are 8 months that will make your stipples nick out. I like the cold air myself and the bike loves it. This was taken in July on the Beartooth Pass.

McDave
Nice! Nature’s air conditioning!

chiefvintage
Teardrop Advisor

Postby flboy » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:51 pm

chiefvintage wrote:
flboy wrote:If you just want to be cool at night.. it will work for that. Mine did keep it cool at night... due to the outside temp dropping and lack of sunlight on trailer skin. It never did really dry it out in the CTC however, as it was pulling in humid outside air at the rate it discharges air outside... but the moving cool air was nice for sleeping.

I did modify my unit to make a 2 hose system where is could draw condenser cooling air from outside, and it did help a lot... it was just not a 1 to 1 ratio. I used a cake pan the same size as the intake on the rear of the unit and made a foam gasket and cut a 4 inch hole in it and attached a dryer hose and put another hole in the floor. I used 2 bungee cords to hold the cake pan on snugly.

Don
So if I’m following you correctly your saying to minimize the negative (differential) pressure between inside and outside air. So introduce more outside air directly across the condensing coil, but isolated from the recirculating inside air across the evaporator coil? I’m no HVAC expert but I assume these portable units have both.

Yes, that is what I am saying. the one hose system is drawing condenser cooling air from the room and expelling it outside (hot air) and the evaporator is drawing from the room and expelling inside (cool air). Drawing air from the room and expelling it outside causes a relative vacuum inside it draws air from outside. That is where the inefficiency comes in, so if you could draw the condenser air from outside and expel outside, it would not create the vacuum.

These one hose systems were made to cool a room in an already air conditioned house whereas the room just doesn't cool as well as the others or someone prefers thier single room much cooler than the rest of the house. It is drawing air in from outside even in the big house, but the relative size and the fact that the larger central air conditioner is making up for it... it is not noticed. Also, it is effectively drawing in cooler air from the rest of the house. They work great in that scenario which they were designed for. Still not overall efficient, but small bananas for a big house ans solves a problem with just a small 4" hose sticking out a window adapter.

I hope that makes sense. I had no idea of this myself... or never really thought about it when I purchased one for my first CTC. I bought it for the stealth aspect and venting through the floor with minimal work. It was 10,000 BTU and just would not cool my 14*7*6 ft CTC and it ran constantly during the day. I sold it to a guy who was aware of how these work and just bought it to blow cool air on his wife who was always too hot and wanted to turn down the central air to satisfy her sitting on the couch or in the dining room.

But, like I said, if you bought this for night use and sleeping.. It may work if temps cool down outside at night... Mine did for that use and I used it that way for a whole season. I just wouldn't expect much out of it during the day if it is above the high seventies to low eighties outside. This has just been my experience.. and a few other I have talked to after the fact.
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby McDave » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:31 pm

So here is tonights fun,
Hazardous Weather Outlook
National Weather Service Billings MT
939 PM MDT Sat Jun 6 2020
This Hazardous Weather Outlook is for portions of central
Montana...south central Montana...southeast Montana and north
central Wyoming.
* WHAT...Scattered showers and thunderstorms.
* WHERE...Southern Montana into Northern Wyoming.
* WHEN...Sunday.
* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Scattered showers and thunderstorms are
possible. A few storms in southeastern Montana could be strong
to severe. Otherwise expect considerable thunderstorm activity
across the region producing brief heavy rain and lightning.
* ADDITIONAL HAZARD CONCERNS...Snow levels will drop to around
6500 feet Sunday night into Monday. Outdoor recreation in the
mountains, and travel on the Beartooth highway, may be impacted.
Beartooth Pass elevation 10,947 ASL 8)

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:01 am

McD, Howdy;

Been in triple digets the past few days here, today only 96 forecast.
Just gotta rub it in that y'all got some decent temps. huh.
:lol:

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby chiefvintage » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:46 am

flboy wrote:
chiefvintage wrote:

Don

Yes, that is what I am saying. the one hose system is drawing condenser cooling air from the room and expelling it outside (hot air) and the evaporator is drawing from the room and expelling inside (cool air). Drawing air from the room and expelling it outside causes a relative vacuum inside it draws air from outside. That is where the inefficiency comes in, so if you could draw the condenser air from outside and expel outside, it would not create the vacuum.

These one hose systems were made to cool a room in an already air conditioned house whereas the room just doesn't cool as well as the others or someone prefers thier single room much cooler than the rest of the house. It is drawing air in from outside even in the big house, but the relative size and the fact that the larger central air conditioner is making up for it... it is not noticed. Also, it is effectively drawing in cooler air from the rest of the house. They work great in that scenario which they were designed for. Still not overall efficient, but small bananas for a big house ans solves a problem with just a small 4" hose sticking out a window adapter.

I hope that makes sense. I had no idea of this myself... or never really thought about it when I purchased one for my first CTC. I bought it for the stealth aspect and venting through the floor with minimal work. It was 10,000 BTU and just would not cool my 14*7*6 ft CTC and it ran constantly during the day. I sold it to a guy who was aware of how these work and just bought it to blow cool air on his wife who was always too hot and wanted to turn down the central air to satisfy her sitting on the couch or in the dining room.

But, like I said, if you bought this for night use and sleeping.. It may work if temps cool down outside at night... Mine did for that use and I used it that way for a whole season. I just wouldn't expect much out of it during the day if it is above the high seventies to low eighties outside. This has just been my experience.. and a few other I have talked to after the fact.
Here’s a couple pics of unit, don’t see how to isolate the airflow between the two coils. I could try to route outside air directly to the blower on one side or the other, with a cake pan or similar as you mentioned; is the trick to maintain zero DP or slightly positive DP? Image

chiefvintage
Teardrop Advisor

Postby chiefvintage » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:55 am

This actually fits pretty well, maybe add some 4-5” dryer ductwork ported thru the floor?

chiefvintage
Teardrop Advisor

Postby flboy » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:25 am

I cannot tell from the picture, but if it goes over the condenser intake well and can isolate it, then just get a duct connector like below and some weather seal foam to make a good seal for the cake pan and wrap bungee cord around to hold onto the unit. That is what I did in my old CTC and it improved the operation in my use case.

I cannot tell the size of your existing exhaust hose, but the intake should be the same size.

Edit.. just reread your post above. I am not sure how you can isolate if there is just one fan motor for both coils. In this case, maybe nothing you can do. My unit had one fan motor, but two blades with a shaft sticking out both ends of the motor. It was easily isolated.

Last edited by flboy on Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby chiefvintage » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:36 am

Maybe hard to tell from my pics but the blower fan is ducted right up the middle of the unit and flows across both coils at the same time, in opposite directions, ambient (inside) air is drawn in from the lower back and both sides (filtered). The blower is offset to one side but pulls air from both its sides, so I may try to introduce some outside air thru the floor and into the pan as pictured, worth a shot.
There is not a separate path / duct for the evaporator and condensor coils so it may be a lost cause. Ideally I’d want the condenser coil cooled by outside air only, so the only benefit I see with this mod is reducing the negative pressure by bringing some outside air directly to the blower.

chiefvintage
Teardrop Advisor

Postby chiefvintage » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:28 pm

Well went ahead and installed one of two windows, finished the first and then the rains came, of course! Yea it’s a little tight to the logo trim but that’s where the studs lined up, plus I have a faux head board for the bed inside. I’ll I finish the 2nd if the weather cooperates, planning to mount it over the dinette table, and add a third smaller window (maybe a 12x24?) in the bathroom.

chiefvintage
Teardrop Advisor

Postby McDave » Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:28 pm

:applause:
Looks good! Nice install Chief. :thumbsup:

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby chiefvintage » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:47 pm

Was able to finish the other side

chiefvintage
Teardrop Advisor

Postby hankaye » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:45 am

chiefvintage, Howdy;

Looks good on screen, trust you made sure the drain slots are on the bottom of each. :roll:
:lol: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

hank
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby chiefvintage » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:58 am

hankaye wrote:chiefvintage, Howdy;

Looks good on screen, trust you made sure the drain slots are on the bottom of each. :roll:
:lol: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

hank

Yes sir! And screens toward rear of vehicle on each side. These windows have weep holes on both top and bottom sides so I just pulled the plugs on bottom

chiefvintage
Teardrop Advisor

Postby hankaye » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:36 pm

Chief, Howdy;

Sounds like ya gots a winner there.

hank
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions