7x18 Toyhauler - Deluxe Boondocker - National Forests only

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: 7x18 Toyhauler - Deluxe Boondocker - National Forests on

Postby ZColorado » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:50 am

Update continued...

Sink - changed from my regular faucet to one with a extendable sprayer. My sink is narrow and long so it was tough to wash on the far side. Both this faucet and the old was was a Crea from Amazon.
IMG_0568D.jpg
New sink faucet
IMG_0568D.jpg (27.17 KiB) Viewed 2624 times

Interior wall paneling - Finally starting on interior wall paneling. I had to travel to Wyoming to a Menards for paneling. I could not find anyone in the Denver area who sold paneling like this. I am very happy with the weight and design.
IMG_0583.jpg
wall paneling beginnings
IMG_0583.jpg (24.47 KiB) Viewed 2624 times

Cabinetry - This is the big job, the one that has me worried, the one I have no experience with. I've been worrying about this since I started to think about this project. it's begun. I hope to have some functional drawers later this week or early next week. I'll post pictures then.

Thanks all.
ZColorado
Teardrop Advisor

Postby flboy » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:43 am

ZColorado wrote: -Lights, I noticed that the fabric mounting strip had a slot that was the perfect size for strip lights, so I got some and wired them in, very happy about that.

Your CTC is looking great. On the Aleko awning, that is exactly what that slot is for. It is there for LED light strip.

Good luck with your cabinets!
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby ZColorado » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:19 pm

flboy wrote:On the Aleko awning, that is exactly what that slot is for. It is there for LED light strip.
!

It was even mentioned in the install manual. The ones I got were slightly too small but had an adhesive back so I just stuck them on. Hopefully they last, but if not they were not very expensive.
ZColorado
Teardrop Advisor

Postby McDave » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:07 am

Hey Z,
Trailer is looking really good. Sorry to hear about the awning issues. I have an Aleako as well and it arrived with some slight shipping damage. However, when I called them they were immediately very helpful and the replacement parts were here in a few days. They sent me almost an entire new awning minus the fabric! So I guess I have spares of everything. Haven't had any issues since then, but boy is nice to have some shade at times.
I'm sure you'll do fine with the cabinet work. Looks like you have plenty of skills and an eye for details. Good luck with that project and enjoy your camping trip July 4th. Keep those pics and updates coming...

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby dirtsailor2003 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:57 am

ZColorado wrote:Update continued...
Cabinetry - This is the big job, the one that has me worried, the one I have no experience with. I've been worrying about this since I started to think about this project. it's begun. I hope to have some functional drawers later this week or early next week. I'll post pictures then.

Thanks all.

I installed and built cabinets for many years.

Are you building your own boxes or are buying the cabinet boxes? If you are building your own get a Kreg jig. Big help building cabinet boxes and makes a super strong joint.

With either type placing wood backing in between your wall studs will help with install. Where to place the backing will depend on where your nailer is in the box. More important for wall hung. Never know if your box will span enough studs for support. Keep in mind that a #10 screw has an apporx. shear of 100lbs. So make sure you have enough to hold the weight of the cabinet and the contents.
dirtsailor2003
The 300 Club

Postby ZColorado » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:37 am

dirtsailor, Thank you. I joined a local maker-space and they have a full woodshop. They only really offer basic "dont hurt yourself" classes so I've been watching a lot of youtube. I recently finished my drawers and lower cabinetry and ended up with a sort of thin 3/4" face frame design with stretcher board behind (I apparently thought this was normal?). I ended up with a sort of cross between a frameless euro style appearance with a face frame design. It's always a struggle building your own because you know all the imperfect spots and there are a lot. However for my first set of drawers and cabinets I think I did ok. I don't have a picture at the moment, and the trailer is loaded to go camping this weekend.

I used my little Kreg pocket jig quite a bit, the one at the maker-space was very much worn out. I also employed the 1/4x1/4 rabbit and dado method on the 1/2" drawer bottoms. I think for the next step and upper cabinets I will draw them completely in Sketchup before I cut any wood. whinging it on the lower ones worked well enough but I don't really have the experience to do that for the upper cabinets. This was my concept drawing but I want to finalize it so I can build from it.

so far my design and reality are closely matching one another. It's been an extremely rewarding process learning and creating.

IMG_9798.jpg
IMG_9798.jpg (52.91 KiB) Viewed 2486 times

Here are my drawers unglued, and before I cut the pocket holes on the sides.
IMG_0604D.jpg
bare drawers
IMG_0604D.jpg (21.09 KiB) Viewed 2485 times
ZColorado
Teardrop Advisor

Postby flboy » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:55 am

Looking good! It is going to be very nice!
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby 8ball_99 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:37 pm

Your trailer is looking good. I'm glad me posting my build gave you some inspiration. :thumbsup:
8ball_99
500 Club

Postby ZColorado » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:22 pm

8ball_99 wrote:Your trailer is looking good. I'm glad me posting my build gave you some inspiration. :thumbsup:

I am happy to see a reply from you. It was your build that got me on this path. I've pretty much followed your basic design. It's working great for me so far. It seems like an uncommon design for a toyhauler with a bathroom but I'd not want to do it any other way.
ZColorado
Teardrop Advisor

Postby 8ball_99 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:28 pm

Yeah the layout is a little different. Main reason I went about it that way was to maximize garage space. Most seem to do kitchen in the front, But to me the cabinets and appliances are heavier then a shower and toilet. So I moved that stuff back to reduce the tongue weight. Plus it lets you have more room in the bathroom with out cutting into your garage area. It also keeps the mud and dust confined to the front room of the trailer. Like you mentioned normally after riding all day you come in pretty dirty. Mine has worked well, we have been very happy with it. I actually still have the 7x24 trailer which I'm guessing is the one you seen on the RZR forums. There is a thread on this sight about it also. I haven't updated it in a long time though because I haven't really made any changes to the trailer. But I'm about to sell it and build a new one :thinking: I bought pioneer 1000-5 a few weeks ago and its to big for my trailer. I knew that when I bought it, but I needed the seating capacity so I didn't have much choice. So I'll probably be posting a new build before to long. I haven't figured it all out yet. I need to sell my current trailer then start nailing down a plan for the new one. I'll have to go wider and taller, But I I won't need a 20' long garage. I'll be sad to see my trailer go, But I'm excited to do another build.
8ball_99
500 Club

Postby bdosborn » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:46 pm

ZColorado wrote:-Morryde steps - I wanted some stout solid steps and Moryde had some quick disconnect steps that fit my needs (stout, does not reduce ground clearance, does not block the door when stored) installation was a breeze since the frame rail is directly below my RV door I installed and I am very happy with these. Downside is storage while traveling.

I just pulled the trigger on a set of these, expensive AF but I've been looking for steps for awhile as these are the only ones I've found that I like. I'm scratching my head trying to figure out where to store it while traveling, I guess I can always throw it in the back of the truck.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby ZColorado » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:41 pm

Yeah, I'll probably end up putting my in the bed of my truck once I have a real floor in. It's a huge set of stairs, I love it though. I have no regrets. super stable.
ZColorado
Teardrop Advisor

Postby ZColorado » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:42 am

Upcoming camping trips are always great motivators to work on the trailer. It's been in the high 90s for a few weeks here so it's been difficult to keep motivated. When I got my trailer I purposely installed a rooftop AC since I knew I would be working on it when it was hot. However I've never used it camping since the Colorado mountains never get that hot during the day and I boondock almost exclusively.

I did get some of the interior ceiling panels up, and I installed some click together floating LVT flooring. I have some tiedowns which will hold the LVT firmly. Time will tell if this is a bad idea or not. The LVT I got is rigid core so I hope in this small space it won't expand and contract too much.

Trim and floor tie downs still need to be re-installed. I painted the back ramp with Behr Deck Over paint and a textured roller. Back ramp took almost a gallon of paint but it's a nice high traction surface now. Color matches the walls since the ramp will be up when I am inside. I also have plans to cover the door spring.
IMG_0918.jpg
Tail End
IMG_0918.jpg (99.23 KiB) Viewed 2063 times

Here is a look at my fold out table. I used a "Quick Bench" from home depot. I am very impressed with the quality of the hinges and wood.
You can also see the weird way i plumbed my shower and sink drain. I wanted it inside so it would not freeze in the winter. Not sure that was ever a good idea. I will be shortening this line by a couple feet so it won't be inside as much. I will eventually cover it. My tanks will be mounted as close to the axles as I can manage.
IMG_0919.jpg
Quick Bench
IMG_0919.jpg (90.21 KiB) Viewed 2063 times

Here is a look towards the front of the trailer where I have a lot of work left. I really like the iPhone 11 wide angle lens for shots like this. I should have wiped the lens before I took these, they are a bit fuzzy. Thats artistic to some though?
IMG_0920.jpg
Front
IMG_0920.jpg (61.44 KiB) Viewed 2063 times

Next task before next weekend is plumbing the grey tank.
ZColorado
Teardrop Advisor

Postby dirtsailor2003 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:32 am

Looking good!

We use sketchup all the time at work. It is a great visualization tool. And when drawn properly one can build off it.
dirtsailor2003
The 300 Club

Postby t-bear » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:21 pm

@ZColorado

Updates PLEASE! BTW can you share the link to your inspiration of @8ball_99 s design? AWESOME.
t-bear
Teardrop Inspector

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions