Roof Insulation Thickness

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Roof Insulation Thickness

Postby Tas » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:51 pm

Hi All!

Pics to come however, I'm in the process of insulating my new 6x12x6'6" enclosed. Have done a lot of reading here and most everywhere. I've used 1" reflective insulation on the walls but should I use 1" or 2" on the roof? I've got room for 2" but have 3 pieces of 4x8 board left and didn't know if I could/should use that or go back and get 2".

What you all think?

Thanks in advance.
Tas
Teardrop Builder

Re: Roof Insulation Thickness

Postby MtnDon » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:56 pm

There is nothing wrong with using two layers of 1" to get a 2" total thickness. Even better if you can stagger any overlapping seams.

FYI, if there is no air space between the reflective foil face and the next solid layer, there is really no benefit from the reflective surface.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby onehoser » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:26 pm

i put 2 layers of 1" foil both sides in the ceiling of my 6x12
I am the wisest man alive, for i know one thing, and that is that i know nothing. (socrates)
onehoser
The 300 Club

Postby Tas » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:54 pm

That's an idea too, 2 layers. I've getting tried of cutting all this stuff at the moment. I cannot cut a straight line to save my life!. OMG!

I put up 1" thick along 1 row and there is a big difference in surface temp of the aluminum skin and the insulation board with the 1" air gap. Tried taking the temp with my HF IR temperature gauge but the batteries were not good.

Makes sense about the air space so that's why I asked to get more thoughts on it.
Tas
Teardrop Builder

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions