Is everybody happy with their stock cargo trailer purchase?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Postby JokerOne » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:47 pm

Hi,

Just wondering if anybody wishes they had bought a different brand or set of features if they had to do it over.

thanks.
JokerOne
Teardrop Builder

Re: Is everybody happy with their stock cargo trailer purcha

Postby onehoser » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:09 pm

i should have ordered a smaller mandoor on my 6x12
I am the wisest man alive, for i know one thing, and that is that i know nothing. (socrates)
onehoser
The 300 Club

Postby Tas » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:43 pm

I don’t have much for experience with trailers and my 6x12 Proline is my first enclosed trailer. I’m very happy with it. Have had it for only 8 days and have been adding to it every day. Insulated the walls and ceiling, added luan ceiling, primed and painted everything. Went with the dark gray porch floor paint anti-skid by Valspar. It seems to be pretty abrasive/grippy. Just about finished with the fold down wall bed. I Added a rear electrical outlet and put in a USB and electrical outlet in front. I had them install the 110v shore outlet with and an electrical out on the outside. Doesn’t seem like much but I can’t believe how much time it’s taken for me to get this far. Just taking me time to make sure I do it half right anyways.

If I were made of money I would have had them add all that.
Tas
Teardrop Builder

Postby JokerOne » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:46 pm

onehoser wrote:i should have ordered a smaller mandoor on my 6x12

thanks, I'm just trying to figure out what I'm going to get.
JokerOne
Teardrop Builder

Postby JokerOne » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:47 pm

Tas wrote:I don’t have much for experience with trailers and my 6x12 Proline is my first enclosed trailer. I’m very happy with it. Have had it for only 8 days and have been adding to it every day. Insulated the walls and ceiling, added luan ceiling, primed and painted everything. Went with the dark gray porch floor paint anti-skid by Valspar. It seems to be pretty abrasive/grippy. Just about finished with the fold down wall bed. I Added a rear electrical outlet and put in a USB and electrical outlet in front. I had them install the 110v shore outlet with and an electrical out on the outside. Doesn’t seem like much but I can’t believe how much time it’s taken for me to get this far. Just taking me time to make sure I do it half right anyways.

If I were made of money I would have had them add all that.

Sweet. want photos when you finish.. thanks
JokerOne
Teardrop Builder

Postby Karebru » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:27 pm

Like most things, buying one off the lot is much cheaper that having one made to order. I guess it depends on your budget, where you want to invest the most, and how picky you are about the details. For me, ordering the ultimate empty canvas was out of the question.
After scouring websites and weeding through so many option possibilities, I went out and bought a trailer off the lot. I no idea what I was going to with it, beyond turning it into some kind of camper...
The size seemed about right. :roll:
I'm not usually a make it up as you go kinda guy, but as things have evolved... There's still a few loose ends. :thinking:
I'm not going outside until the temperature is above my age.
Karebru
The 300 Club

Postby aggie79 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:37 am

From a CT conversion wannabe, I have seen a couple of builds with the entry door setback further toward the rear to allow adequate depth for a front bathroom. Other than that, I would look for an RV style entry door. We don’t have any toys so rear cargo door would probably work better than a ramp door, although the ramp can make a nice raised deck.

All that said, I’ll probably do like the prior post and pick one up off the lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby CoventryKid » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:45 pm

Back in 2014, I was going to order a trailer with the options I wanted from my local NEO dealer but when it came time to put the cash down, NEO's lead time had ballooned from 2 weeks to 9 weeks (it was early fall and NEO was concentrating on building snow machine trailers) so I bought a close-to-what-I-wanted trailer off the lot.

The one option I really wanted was their "NXP STAINLESS LATCH SYSTEM". The rear ramp opening mechanism with this option works the same as a pickup tailgate does - one latch in the middle of the ramp disengages the interior latches.Visually much nicer than the bars and handles as on a standard ramp.

Other than breaking a spring on US 101 in Oregon a couple of years ago, I've not had any other problems with our trailer.

Hope this helps.
Doug
Vancouver Island, BC

GMC Savana Explorer Limited SE hightop conversion van
NEO NAVR 7x16 V-nose aluminum trailer now a comfortable travel trailer

Build: http://www.tusker-international.com/1-trlr-build.html
CoventryKid
Teardrop Master

Postby dirtsailor2003 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:49 am

Mt 6x10 Cargomate, made by Forest River (which has multiple line of cargo trailers across the US) has been great, I wanted to go with the Blazer model but lead time was out of my time line for needing it. The Blazer had round roof instead of flat and heavier interior ply on the walls.

I still had to order mine as they didn't have any in stock with the RV style door. They had one already in production that hadn't had the door installed so that cut the lead time down.

This is the second Cargomate I have owned and I have had no issues with either. I do wish with this one I had them install trailer brakes. Something I'll need to do now...

dirtsailor2003
The 300 Club

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions