Legend 7x16+2V "Lucky" Build

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: Legend 7x16+2V "Lucky" Build

Postby jaws_1972 » Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:31 pm

View of the water tank box from the outside. Looks like it flows with the rest of the camper.

Jeff (aka Jaws)

My build
jaws_1972
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Staryder61 » Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:39 pm

Jeff,
It all looks great. So, you were a cabinet maker in a past life right? ;)
Everything you've completed is absolutely outstanding.
The designing and workmanship is to be :applause: :applause: 'ed
I've seen drawer rails kick some a$$ when it came to some that say they know how to build cabinets.
But you sir have nailed it. :thumbsup:
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
6' X 12' CTC = Texas Sized Tackle Box
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74704
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby jaws_1972 » Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:44 pm

Because the storage nook took some of the cabinet area I had an odd space to utilize. I was thinking I would try to use it for sheet pans or something, but nothing really fit the bill. Saw a nice post from Karebru and decided to borrow the idea. Now I have a full size bar :-)

I was limited to 5.75" width and I needed 1" for sliders and 1" for the 1/2" thick side boards. That only left 3.75" for bottle width, which was mostly fine. However, I wanted a space for my 4" tequila bottles, so I got creative. Worked perfect since they are shorter bottles.

Last edited by jaws_1972 on Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff (aka Jaws)

My build
jaws_1972
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Staryder61 » Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:54 pm

jaws_1972 wrote:Because the storage nook took some of the cabinet area I had an odd space to utilize. I was thinking I would try to use it for sheet pans or something but nothing really fit the bill. Saw a nice post from Karebru and decided to borrow the idea. Now I have a full size bar :-)

I was limited to 5.75" width and I needed 1" for sliders and 1" for the 1/2" thick side boards. That only left 3.75" for bottle width, which was mostly fine. However, I wanted a space for my 4" tequila bottles, so I got creative. Worked perfect since they are shorter bottles.

Yes very creative.. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby JasenC » Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:41 am

You can't go wrong with a built in bar.

The builds looking good.
I'll be done when I'm finished, if that's not fast enough, take a number.

Build Thread https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74269
JasenC
The 300 Club

Postby jaws_1972 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:55 am

David & Jansen - Thanks for the kind comments. Really starting to feel like it is getting somewhere now. Just need to finish the bathroom and it will be a functional camper. All of the plumbing and electrical are basically done.

Staryder61 wrote:It all looks great. So, you were a cabinet maker in a past life right?
Nope, that was all from 9th grade shop class with "Coach Dudgeon", who was a coach long before my time. Very thankful I took that class. I always wanted to do some more woodworking, maybe this is it. Makes me miss all of nice equipment we had back then. Not having a table saw or proper floor mounted router has made things more challenging. Back then we even had a big industrial sized planer to run rough boards through, etc. Seems like it would be crazy to let young high school students run lose in a class like that today. Coach Dudgeon always kept us straight by walking around the class with yardstick and swatting at us for doing anything wrong. Plenty of antics were conducted around that equipment.

The drawer slides are Promark off of Amazon. Pretty nice quality for price, but they only come in packs of 5 or more. I needed a couple shorter ones and ordered an off brand. Not near the same feel. For installation I just watched a few youtube videos for pointers. I used a carpenter square to set the slides perpendicular to the face of the cabinet. Mounted the slides to cabinet first. For the drawers I placed a piece 1/4 thick ply under them for spacing and slid them in the slot. Then screwed the slide to the drawers with them pulled out a little. It was pretty straight forward provided you have access to both sides of the drawer. For the drawers next to the wall I simply measured and screwed them in place, but I used standard measurements. I wanted a 1/4" space under the drawer and then had 1/2" stock, so I screwed the slides 3/4" from the bottom rail, etc.

Mounting the drawer faces was similar. I used a piece of 1/2 to set under the face, screwed the face to the drawer using the holes for handles. Then used permanent screws in the back of the drawer front to connect secure the face. Removed the temp screws from the front and finished drilling the holes for the handles. To do this method the handle holes need to be measured and drilled first.
Jeff (aka Jaws)

My build
jaws_1972
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Staryder61 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:41 am

Your ability to complete what you did, is amazing.. :thumbsup:

I had a kid that worked for me years ago in my cabinet shop. Didn't matter what I gave him to do. I'd explain it to him. Show him. He just never seemed to get it. :( but he was a workhorse when it came to moving and loading cabinets.

Then I had another one, give him a project. Turn him loose. He'd figure it out on his own. Had little jigs for everything he did. Depending on the drawer rails, he'd have a jig for one type and one for another type. :)

Back then I would've put you with that second kid. ;) you both would have figured everything out. :thumbsup: would have made a heck of a team..

For some, wood working is something you learn. For others I've known or seen, it's a pure talent.. halfdome,Danny is one of those, want to see some beautiful work, check out his postings here..

gallery/album.php?album_id=2022&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&start=36
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby jaws_1972 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:29 pm

Staryder61 wrote:..... in my cabinet shop.
Oh snap, I didn't realize I was getting compliments from an actual cabinet maker. Way too kind, but thank you for encouragement. Much needed at times. I have definitely been both of those kids at different times of my life.

Staryder61 wrote:... halfdome,Danny is one of those, want to see some beautiful work, check out his postings here..
Yes, that is some very intricate work. Halfdome definitely has more patience than me when it comes to finishing the wood, very nice!
Jeff (aka Jaws)

My build
jaws_1972
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Staryder61 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:20 pm

jaws_1972 wrote:
Staryder61 wrote:..... in my cabinet shop.
Oh snap, I didn't realize I was getting compliments from an actual cabinet maker. Way too kind, but thank you for encouragement. Much needed at times. I have definitely been both of those kids at different times of my life.

We both were probably those kids at one time or another.. :lol:
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Storage Space

Postby jaws_1972 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:24 pm

The extra effort to make the storage space has paid off. I had this idea stuck in my head from owning the previous camper and wanted a place to put the camper "stuff". Seems to have worked out well for hoses, tools, cords, etc. There's still some room higher up that could be utilized with the proper organization of hooks, etc.

Jeff (aka Jaws)

My build
jaws_1972
Teardrop Advisor

Vanity Insanity

Postby jaws_1972 » Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:48 pm

So the bathroom vanity insanity has commenced, or better known as the joys of cramming a bathroom into the V-nose of the trailer.

When I framed the bathroom the trailer wasn't sitting level, the installed floors weren't true, the plywood finished walls were not great to reference, and the roof had the same issues as the floor, not quite level. So I think I got one wall quasi square with the rest of trailer and everything else was just "eyeballed". Needless to say I've been dreading figuring out this vanity since I framed the bath. After some thought I grabbed a scrap pc of 1/2" ply and sketched out the vanity counter-top that I had already scroll cut. Decided to use that as the bottom of the vanity and then everything just fell into place.

This looks like the start to the model battleship that I always wanted to build as a kid.

Starting to take shape with the pocket-hole face frame built.

Temporarily installed in it's new home.

Still have some finishing to do, as well as a shelf and door to make. I decided to take a break and moved the trailer back to storage lot for now. The neighbors have been super nice about me leaving it in the driveway for the last month, but I've really pushed that 48hr/wk township rule...

I'll finish the vanity, doors and some other items with it offsite and then do the final install. Eventually I'll make the upper cabinets for the kitchen, but really just want to go camping in it this summer.
Jeff (aka Jaws)

My build
jaws_1972
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jaws_1972 » Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:57 pm

Nothing seems to stay the same for long. After finishing the fresh water tanks I was able to do a proper trial run with the water pump. The flow wasn't great so I decided to adjust the pressure and bypass switches, only I didn't have access to them in the original configuration. So after doing some remote adjustments to the water pump I decided to re-plumb everything. New configuration keeps the pump cooler versus being under a board, and also gave me room to add a shutoff valve prior to the water pump to be able to isolate the system from the fresh water tanks.

The water tank shutoff valve is on the floor and the ball valve to left isolates the city water from the rest of the system. Probably will get rid of the wire nuts once I'm satisfied with the install.
Jeff (aka Jaws)

My build
jaws_1972
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Vanity Insanity

Postby Staryder61 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:39 am

jaws_1972 wrote:So the bathroom vanity insanity has commenced, or better known as the joys of cramming a bathroom into the V-nose of the trailer.

This looks like the start to the model battleship that I always wanted to build as a kid.

Starting to take shape with the pocket-hole face frame built.

Temporarily installed in it's new home.

Still have some finishing to do, as well as a shelf and door to make. I decided to take a break and moved the trailer back to storage lot for now. The neighbors have been super nice about me leaving it in the driveway for the last month, but I've really pushed that 48hr/wk township rule...

I'll finish the vanity, doors and some other items with it offsite and then do the final install. Eventually I'll make the upper cabinets for the kitchen, but really just want to go camping in it this summer.

Surprised :o by the first picture Jeff..
What's he doing now? :) That's a what? :roll: A spare tire holder maybe? ;)
Wow that vanity turned out great.. :applause: You are doing great buddy.. waiting to see what ya do for the upper cabinets.. :thumbsup:
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby Staryder61 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:43 am

OK, it's been awhile since a post,, surely you have more to post and some pictures :pictures: ... ;)
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby jaws_1972 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:28 am

Staryder61 wrote:OK, it's been awhile since a post,, surely you have more to post and some pictures :pictures: ... ;)

Haha! That is it for now as I've been setting up motorcycles and actually doing some riding. I just did our Longest Day adv ride in Interlochen, MI over the weekend. Really great time with descent weather even though it was in the 90's.

The vanity is in my basement, so I will likely finish it this week or weekend. Then just a couple more doors, trim in the shower and go camping! My wife took a position as a wildlife interpreter for our local metro parks, so she gets free camping as a benefit. She proposed we take it to a local park when it's ready for a trial run. That way if things go haywire we're close to home. Really glad she is getting excited about using it. I think she's really happy that we stepped up the finish of the cabinetry, etc. She likes all of the drawers, nooks and crannies.
Jeff (aka Jaws)

My build
jaws_1972
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions