Your thoughts on this wood stove.

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: Your thoughts on this wood stove.

Postby dirtsailor2003 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:31 am

I wouldn't use a tent stove like that one in anything except a tent.

I like my cubic cub mini wood stove but if I had to do it over I'd go for a bit larger stove that can hold a fire longer. It's fine all day feeding a fire. But at night it doesn't last too long. Really not a problem for us as we have great sleeping bags (we sill camp in wall tents). It would be nice though to wake up to a warm cabin. Which I can have the stove up and running and the temp up in about 20 minutes.

At some point I may put in a Dickinson diesel heater. I've had them on every boat large boat that I've owned. Nice thing is you can run them with out the fan once they are up and burning. So power use is minimal. If you gravity feed the fuel a pump is not needed.

Last boat I had the cabin space was about the size of a 7x14 trailer I had this stove in it and it was plenty to keep the cabin toasty

http://dickinsonmarine.com/product_cat/diesel-heaters/

I found this model on Craigslist for $200 but the guy wouldn't ship.

http://dickinsonmarine.com/product/anta ... el-heater/

Other options I considered.

http://www.marinestove.com/sardineinfo.htm

https://www.unforgettablefirellc.com/ki ... ood-stove/

https://salamanderstoves.com/the-hobbit-stove/
dirtsailor2003
The 300 Club

Postby John61CT » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:51 am

Great post! Have you come across diesel stoves along those lines well-suited to cooking

that also keep a HWS water tank hot

**and** work well as space heaters?
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby dirtsailor2003 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:15 pm

John61CT wrote:Great post! Have you come across diesel stoves along those lines well-suited to cooking

that also keep a HWS water tank hot

**and** work well as space heaters?
On two of my boats I had the cook stoves from Dickinson. The Pacific & the Atlantic models. Yes I used them for cooking. Both of those though would cook you out of a small trailer if you cranked them up to get the oven up to temp.

http://dickinsonmarine.com/product/paci ... ook-stove/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
dirtsailor2003
The 300 Club

Postby John61CT » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:39 pm

I'm a big believer in, along with no thermal bridging, very thick insulation and a very tight vapour barrier "envelope"

in a very effective, closely controlled ventilation system

that is always operating, at a low CFM rate when needed, as in 30° below outside

but also has a very high CFM capacity when needed.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby dogcatcher » Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:20 am

We have used stoves like this in hunting camps, inside of large walled tents, both for a heat source and for cooking. The "stove pipe" is made of exhaust pipe because it gets abused by constant putting together, packing and the putting together again, over and over.

Would I put it in a trailer? NOPE!!!
dogcatcher
Teardrop Advisor

Postby AeroNautiCal » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:10 pm

Perhaps consider the Fatsco Pet Stove, which burns well and economically on smokeless charcoal briquettes and will also burn wood.

The Pet Stove is compact at 9.5 inches high, 6 inches in diameter and has an 8 inch lantern base which has cast in mounting holes.

These US manufactured stoves are very well constructed in cast iron and marine grade stainless steel and have an excellent reputation.

Wooden boat liveaboards love these for their economic, dry heat and they are often mounted on tiny shelves as they're so compact.

fatscostoves.com
AeroNautiCal
Teardrop Inspector

Postby hankaye » Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:37 am

Modstock, Howdy;

I've used both wood and coal in stoves as my primary heat source. Wood when I lived in Ohio
and coal when I lived in Utah. One of the primary concerns with stoves is Chimney care and
maintenance. Always burn as hot as necessary, helps keep the pipe from accumulating
the layers of creosote that can lead to a chimney fire. Granted, you most likely won't be burning
24/7 but, you most likely won't be using 6" pipe either. Stoves were meant to be burned not smoldered.
Something like Dirtsailor's mini would be an excellent choise. So would the Dickinson that Gonefishin
uses. Kinda like Goldilocks' choosing which is the right (correct), size. That's my 2 cents worth.
Hope you find the one that's "just right".

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby BuildingOurDayDream » Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:05 pm

Great topic. My thoughts/questions:

1.) Insurance - may not apply to some folks, but I think (not completely sure) that some/most/all insurances will not cover wood stoves in a camper. Any experts on this topic?

2.) In order to get around the insurance issue I'm considering having a small portable wood rocket stove. Here's how I'm thinking of deploying it and would love your thoughts (although I don't want to hijack this thread either, so let me know if I should take this to it's own thread). The rear ramp for our Toy Hauler will double as a raised patio. I will enclose this patio with transparent curtains/screens to keep out the cold and bugs when necessary. I thought I would install a small vent in the curtain to run the chimney through and just have the rocket stove as supplemental heat and ambience in this non-insulated area. So just pick her up and move her around as necessary. Need to find a way to set-up/take-down/store the chimney easily.

My thoughts/input anyway.
BuildingOurDayDream
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Modstock » Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:49 am

Most cargo converted trailers is insured for the value you have inside the trailer. Like a work trailer with tools, ect.
They don't care what's inside just the value.
Im under the assumption that - what the government or insurance company doesn't know won't hurt you.
Some things are best left unsaid.

Sent from my SM-A115AP using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions