Attach triplex wire to metal studs

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Attach triplex wire to metal studs

Postby tibx » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:02 pm

I'm planning to run marine 12/3 triplex wire to interior outlets. Looking for clamps on the internet, has not educated me as to what to use to fasten the 0.245x0.575 cable to the steel uprights. New to this forum so I thought I'd see if the guys that have "been there, done that", could help on what's best to use or what you used. Thanks in advance for your input.
tibx
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Attach triplex wire to metal studs

Postby txen » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:07 pm

I'm not an electrician, but I've used 1" pvc conduit and conduit clamps (2 hole straps) along the wall at the floor or roof. It's clean and easy to pull / remove cable. I've also just dropped the cable between the plywood siding and insulation.
txen
Teardrop Inspector

Postby hankaye » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:53 am

txen, Howdy;

...and WELCOME!.

When in the military we used various sizes of the clamps below. Just get the correct diameter for your need.
We called them 'Adel clamps' and was the term used to search for this.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-Ben ... /100150329

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Grummy » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:51 am

With my trailer freshly insulated (polyiso), and BEFORE AC wiring, I fit my new luan ply walls and cut the outlet holes where I wanted them. Then I used a magic marker to mark the box holes, most of which were going to be up against studs so the box would be screwed to them.

With Luan removed, I ran all my AC wires along the top edge using nylon ties and screwed in tie mounts (dont rely on Stick Ons), creating organized bundles. Where wires had to drop down, I would cut out the strip of aluminum from the polyiso, then use an old soldering iron to melt a groove in the foam down to the box cutout. Then use aluminum tape over the wire. No other support necessary, and the wires are never near any metal to rub thru.

Construction Wire 20180429_074056b.jpg
Construction Wire 20180429_074056b.jpg (207.08 KiB) Viewed 696 times

Dropping down from the top is the best way, leaving yourself an accessible area for future additions or repairs. That top section can be upholstered with a trim panel easy enough, or, like I did, the edges of the ceiling are a smidge lower on the sides.
Grummy
Teardrop Master

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions