New build 7x14 Nexhaul dually

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: New build 7x14 Nexhaul dually

Postby rjgimp » Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:29 am

Nicely done! Very tidy and functional I like the mini split and for $420 you almost can't go wrong. With 12,000 btu you should just about be able to hang meat in there.
:applause:
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby halbraun » Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:46 pm

foxontherun wrote:Hey now that is pretty slick! Good job! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I met a fella last fall that has the mini-split on the front of his trailer like you. I had asked him if there was anything he would do differently on his trailer and he said the one thing he would do is have some kind of cover to put over the front of the AC when driving down the road. He said the bugs/etc get stuck in the grill and coils and it is not fun to clean. I remember living in Florida and trying to get "love bugs" off the windshield of the car; don't want to imagine what they would be like on an air-conditioner coil, ha!

Harry

Harry,

I got a cover for it off Amazon.. searched mini split cover ant it popped up..I think it was $27 if I remember right.. I think the truck will block a lot, but better safe than sorry!
halbraun
Teardrop Builder

Postby flboy » Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:08 pm

Very cool. I like the way you did this. Most importantly, it meets YOUR objectives and that is what the DIY CTC is all about. Well done!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby halbraun » Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:53 pm

Wow, pretty high praise coming from you guys with awesome builds! This is a “construckshun” build using a skill saw, drill/screwdriver, and staple gun by a semi skilled farmer that sucked up as much knowledge as possible from the people on here..

Thanks!
halbraun
Teardrop Builder

Postby halbraun » Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:58 pm

Well, it has been 7 months or so, and I wanted to do a follow up on the 12,000 btu mini split HVAC solution through a really hot, humid Florida summer in a black trailer.

The trailer has gotten so hot in the sun that you can’t leave your hand on the surface! With the one inch insulation, you can feel a little warmth on the inside wall. The mini split has performed awesomely! First, this was not an inverter type mini split and the compressor gets power from plugging in the air handler inside the trailer.. and it draws under 8 amps total and runs off my little 2000 harbor freight inverter gen. It cools the trailer down to cold in about 15 minutes. It can easily freeze you out and controls the humidity. It is also nearly silent. The interior air handler is very quiet and you cannot hear the compressor outside. The lines all run through one hole up the V to the air handler. The trailer tongue mounting works perfect and I could not be happier. For the $420 it cost, I cannot imagine a better solution for Florida summers. (It’s also a heat pump so will handle florida winters)

I have had both rooftop ac’s (VERY noisy) and window shakers and would use the mini split on any future build without reservations..
halbraun
Teardrop Builder

Postby Gulfcoast » Sat Jul 29, 2023 3:04 am

How's the mini split working these days? I want one...
6x12 cargo trailer - Mini Split A/C - Starlink - TMobile home internet
Gulfcoast
Teardrop Master

Postby halbraun » Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:59 pm

The mini split is awesome.. not a single issue. It’s a black trailer in Central FL, and we just had a couple of heat warning days.. the side of the trailer gets hot enough you do not want to touch it, but the inside is a cool 74 degrees and could easily get cooler. It is essentially quiet inside. Compared to rooftop units, it beats it all to hell.

It has been driven from FL to CA, up the coast and across the northern route and back down without a hitch. It even kept it warm a couple of nights in the mountains (35 degrees) as it is a heat pump too. Will be heading up to MN in September and expect to have perfect temperature control for that trip too.

I love the thing!
halbraun
Teardrop Builder

Postby halbraun » Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:17 pm

PS.. I keep the trailer plugged into a 120 v outlet 24/7, keeps battery charged and I set the temp to about 77F. No dampnes, no mildew, no problems. So the mini split runs off and on 24/7 with no issues.. keeps everything in the trailer in perfect condition..
halbraun
Teardrop Builder

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions