A new 6x10 build from Nashville!

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: A new 6x10 build from Nashville!

Postby attomica » Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:45 pm

Onajourney wrote:Questioning the direction of your front air vent. Might be a rain catcher.

Oddly, that's the way it came from the factory. Still, it doesn't matter. I've blocked and sealed-off both that one and the one on the other side to eliminate that concern.
attomica
Teardrop Builder

Postby attomica » Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:08 pm

Took advantage of the great weather this weekend. Our trailer is now fully-insulated. Every space between the wall studs and the roof bows is filled with tight-fitting 1" foam board and under the floor boards is 1.5". I've gone through and filled, then trimmed every nook, cranny, and crack with expanding foam. It actually seems to make quite a difference. We got started one late morning and when we opened the back barn doors, the interior felt substantially cooler than the temps outside. Like the over night temps inside hadn't yet evened out to match the current outside temps.

We've spent quite a bit of time researching showers. Ours will be an outside one, so we've considered the propane heated type in a Pelican box mounted on the outside, the Yakima Road shower, The Geyser sponge concept, and the myriad of portable shower solutions on Amazon and elsewhere. Everything we encountered of course had its negative and positive points, but there was just more compromise than we wanted. Then we came across the Waterport. (thewaterport.com) It too has it's negs, but the positives are more numerous for us. So, we got that in and figured out where it will reside outside the trailer. I had to get an inside bracket made to bridge between two the of the wall studs. Since the Waterport will weigh around 50lbs when full, I had this bracket made with 3/16" steel.

Here it is, getting holes drilled...

...and here it is installed. The four bold in the middle correspond with the holes in the outside bracket.

The outside bracket from Waterport is super sturdy, welded from heavy gauge steel and powder coated. I put a pretty good application of Sikaflex marine sealant on the back of the plate and around the bolt holes to prevent water intrusion.

So, the tank has a bracket that slides over the mounted bracket, which holds it in place. There's a hole on the mounted bracket that matches a hole on the tank bracket through which you can put a bolt & nut or even a padlock to prevent theft of the tank. We chose to mount just over the fender.

We also got started on finishing the ceiling. We're using a utility panel from Lowe's, called RevolutionPly. It's pretty thin, but robust enough for me to surface mount our LED puck lights and it takes stain nicely. We'll be using three full-length strips to completely cover the ceiling. This way there will just be two seams we can cover with a thin trim strip. We got started with the center strip, which is where the Maxx fan is, so I had to cut the opening for that.

After the ceiling is done, we'll get going on either the walls, which will be painted shiplap planks, or the floor, which will be rolled sheet vinyl with an oak plank appearance. We really want to get this thing done. We've reserved a site at a state park on New Year's Eve, so it's gotta be done by then.
attomica
Teardrop Builder

Postby pchast » Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:07 pm

You've made a good start.
If your able to keep at it you will be. :thumbsup:
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby attomica » Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:48 pm

The past couple of weekends have been productive. The ceiling is mostly done. Just have to stain the trim strips and pin nail them up on the two seams. The LED puck lights were easy to wire and mount. They're surface-mounting, so I just had to drill a hole for wire passage and screw them on. You may notice the right side is lighter than the middle and left sides. We got our staining sequence confused and that's what happened. Luckily, we just had to unscrew the puck lights and apply another coat of stain, but it's no fun, doing that upside down, but the whole ceiling is now consistent.

The floor was an easy install. We're using sheet vinyl so it was just lay it in and cut it to fit. We got the thickest vinyl Lowe's carries and it feels nice on the feet. We didn't trowel on any adhesive, but instead used carpet tape. That stuff is strong and I suspect will work perfectly.

We got going on the walls too. We're using 1/2" thick x 8" high shiplap planks. They're surprisingly light-weight and install easily. We found planks that were already primed, so we just rolled on a coat of cabinet paint in our chosen color, let it dry over night, and started screwing it in. I really like this look with the hidden fasteners. The blue tape marks the studs so we know where to position the windows. You can see the evened-out ceiling finish here too.

Once we get the walls completed, we'll install the three RV windows - two 12" x 30" on the driver's side and one on the passenger side. That will be an exciting and intimidating experience, I'm sure.
attomica
Teardrop Builder

Postby nsfr1206 » Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:48 pm

It’s not so bad putting in windows. Just measure thrice and cut once. Be sure to use some blue tape so you don’t scratch trailer with saw and it’s very nice to have an extra pair of hands when you are ready to install windows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nsfr1206
Teardrop Master

A new 6x10 build from Nashville!

Postby nsfr1206 » Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:49 pm

And it’s looking good! I did nickel gap on my trailer. People seem to think it looks good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nsfr1206
Teardrop Master

Postby Gulfcoast » Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:01 pm

I looked at that same flooring at Lowe's one day... I want to put it in my trailer too.
6x12 cargo trailer - Mini Split A/C - Starlink - TMobile home internet
Gulfcoast
Teardrop Master

Postby attomica » Wed May 17, 2023 11:31 am

To those who've followed my progress or are even a little interested... I haven't updated in a while because I had to relocate. All the selling, buying, packing and moving just takes gobs of time. Plus, the new house needs a bit of work. Sooo, the trailer conversion has been paused for now. I'm sorta bummed because I really want to get this trailer done so we can go out and see the world! Well, our part of it anyways. There is a plus though...

...the new house has a monster garage!

I'll be able to fit all my stuff in there with plenty of room to work on and finish the trailer INSIDE! I'm stoked!

Hopefully, I'll be able to resume before too long, but you know how things go. I'll detail more as I get to it.
attomica
Teardrop Builder

Postby chopperwalker » Wed May 17, 2023 3:47 pm

Are those doors 10 foot? That is a great space.
chopperwalker
Teardrop Builder

Postby Bezoar » Wed May 17, 2023 7:54 pm

Looking great - can't wait to see the interior come together once you are settled!
Bezoar
Teardrop Master

Postby twisted lines » Thu May 18, 2023 10:19 am

Thanks for sharing the water tank / Mount's, New to me;
I'v used a similar system elsewhere and it work's well.
I checked out some access, found very useful :)
Nice floor!
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby ZoNiE » Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:25 pm

Your metal work is awesome. Those fenders and integrated stepsides are killer. you could make those for a living.
2010 Skyline Nomad. Heavily modified. 400W solar. Honda EV4010.
2009 Sport Trac Adrenalin AWD V8.
Next TT Project: Alde Hydronic Heat.
ZoNiE
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions