Upgrading tires.

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: Upgrading tires.

Postby Socal Tom » Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:03 pm

flboy wrote:I agree, trailers don't carry passengers, but failed tires on a trailer can be catastrophic on the highway for passengers in Tow Vehicle and others in traffic. I'd think they would care. I am interested in what others may know. Interesting topic.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

I think I wasn't clear. I support your theory, but found no evidence. I think "ST" stands for "Sh*tty Tires"
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:14 pm

I think "ST" stands for "Sh*tty Tires"

:beer:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:28 am

Howdy All;

One thing that I can apply to the ST tires is that the stiffer sidewalls are designed to prevent
the tires from being over torqued in a tight turn when there are more then one axial.
On a single axial trailer there is no issue with the over torqueing as the inside wheel/tire will
turn the opposite direction at that point. That is how it was explained to me and kinda makes
sense.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:45 am

hankaye wrote:Howdy All;

One thing that I can apply to the ST tires is that the stiffer sidewalls are designed to prevent
the tires from being over torqued in a tight turn when there are more then one axial.
On a single axial trailer there is no issue with the over torqueing as the inside wheel/tire will
turn the opposite direction at that point. That is how it was explained to me and kinda makes
sense.

hank

And for me, that's the only reason to run trailer tires.

Years ago, during my first build, I took my 15" rims to the local Les Schwab tire shop and asked the two guys that had been mounting tires for me for a decade, "what tires should I put on my little camper I'm building? I don't wanna have a flat." They glanced at each other and almost simultaneously said, "Six-ply Maxxis LTs."

And they were right. I have no idea how many thousands of miles I've run on rough roads with them but it's a bunch.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby ris » Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:54 pm

I subscribe to "Long Long Honeymoon" a Youtube RV channel that has been going since Youtube started. They recently did an episode "Do you have MayPops on your RV. They run E range Truck tires and the guy they talked to who is an expert on Air Stream travel trailers says go with Truck Tires. In fact an upgrade on factory new Air Stream travel trailers is Michelin E rated truck tires. They cost more but very few total blow outs. We use E range trailer tires and replace about every 20,000 miles. We have 45,117 miles on the trailer. Our trailer is a 8.5 ft X 18 ft and weighs loaded 5,700 lbs which is why we changed from load D to load E.
Richard
ris
Teardrop Master

Postby friz » Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:48 pm

tony.latham wrote:
hankaye wrote:Howdy All;

sense.

hank

And for me, that's the only reason to run trailer tires.

Years ago, during my first build, I took my 15" rims to the local Les Schwab tire shop and asked the two guys that had been mounting tires for me for a decade, "what tires should I put on my little camper I'm building? I don't wanna have a flat." They glanced at each other and almost simultaneously said, "Six-ply Maxxis LTs."

And they were right. I have no idea how many thousands of miles I've run on rough roads with them but it's a bunch.

Tony
I wonder if I can get them with the yellow Maxxis logos to match the bike?Image

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby tony.latham » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:12 pm

I wonder if I can get them with the yellow Maxxis logos to match the bike?

Well... you can probably find some paint. :frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby featherliteCT1 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:13 pm

ris wrote:I subscribe to "Long Long Honeymoon" a Youtube RV channel that has been going since Youtube started. They recently did an episode "Do you have MayPops on your RV. They run E range Truck tires and the guy they talked to who is an expert on Air Stream travel trailers says go with Truck Tires. In fact an upgrade on factory new Air Stream travel trailers is Michelin E rated truck tires. They cost more but very few total blow outs. We use E range trailer tires and replace about every 20,000 miles. We have 45,117 miles on the trailer. Our trailer is a 8.5 ft X 18 ft and weighs loaded 5,700 lbs which is why we changed from load D to load E.
Richard

ris,

Thanks for posting a reference to the tire video. :thumbsup: Below is the link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xibG3Ia1dIw
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Karebru » Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:01 am

Thanks for the link. :thumbsup:

While we're on the subject of tires...
What kind of jack does everyone bringing along for changing a trailer tire on the road?
Something light weight that takes up little space, I assume.
Also, I never really thought about it, but is there any reason to rotate the tires on a dual axle trailer?
I'm not going outside until the temperature is above my age.
Karebru
The 300 Club

Postby tony.latham » Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:20 pm

Karebru wrote:Thanks for the link. :thumbsup:

While we're on the subject of tires...
What kind of jack does everyone bringing along for changing a trailer tire on the road?
Something light weight that takes up little space, I assume.
Also, I never really thought about it, but is there any reason to rotate the tires on a dual axle trailer?
The one that’s in my Tacoma. No need for two jacks.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Gulfcoast » Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:58 pm

I use a low cost 12-ton bottle jack from HFT.... it works well for me.

They have smaller jacks but I like the wider base on the 12-ton.
6x12 cargo trailer - Mini Split A/C - Starlink - TMobile home internet
Gulfcoast
Teardrop Master

Postby featherliteCT1 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:29 pm

I, like Karebru, have a tandem axle so I use one of these drive up jacks shown in the below link.

https://www.amazon.com/Trailer-Aid-Tand ... 4889&psc=1

I have used the drive up jack to remove all four of my wheels to repack the bearings, and it worked well. Lightweight too.

The OEM jack for my Silverado truck is pretty wobbly for the size of my trailer, but would work well for a teardrop, like Tony said. On the other hand, the jack for some other vehicles do not have a flat surface on top (the kind that fit into a unibody frame) so that kind of jack probably would not work well. Best to check before relying on the vehicle jack.
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Karebru » Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:38 pm

I like that. Low tech. No moving parts.
Nothing wrong with a good old bottle jack either.
The scissor jack in my Frontier just isn't that great. I've used it.
I'm not going outside until the temperature is above my age.
Karebru
The 300 Club

Postby pchast » Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:22 pm

I can pull tires of the tear with just the
back stabilizers and the tongue jack. :thumbsup:
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:54 am

Howdy All;

Having to swap out a bad tire on a narrow section of Interstate shoulder I'd rather not
want to try backing on to one of the Yellow ramp style if the front tire goes bad. Much
better with the bottle jack and a piece of 2X8 (or 10 or 12), as a base. I use a 12ton,
no need to over stress it, right. chuckle.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions