New Project, for a friend.

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: New Project, for a friend.

Postby flboy » Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:31 am

Outstanding craftsmanship as usual! Looks great. Your friend is fortunate to have someone with your skills to help him out.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby NVCowboy » Sun May 01, 2022 2:50 pm

Cargo trailer conversions are not for the faint of heart. Doing one for a friend is a testament to the value of that friendship. Well done.
NVCowboy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Karebru » Sun May 08, 2022 10:54 am

I guess I haven't mention that I'm not just doing this as a favor.
He'd seen my trailer, and called one night asking if he could "hire" me. There is some modest compensation involved, and I have a fun project going.
I'm only logging the time when I'm actually, physically working on the trailer. Not time spent planning, tracking down and acquiring parts and material, etc.
(It's fun, spending someone else's money!)
After about 100 trips to Lowes and Home Depot, I think a tank of gas might be fair.
He's a good guy. We worked together off and on for almost 30 years. I built stuff, and he put the finish on it. We both gave up on the company we were working for on the same day last year. He went on to another job, and I retired.

Anyway...
My back started acting up about the time the PVC flooring showed up. So I put that aside and started working on the ceiling. I've screwed 1x3s to the steel to fasten the panels to, and create a space for a second layer of insulation board. The 1/4" ply is cut to fit and ready for him to finish.

I guess it's time to get down on my poor old knees and get that floor done.
I'm not going outside until the temperature is above my age.
Karebru
The 300 Club

Postby Staryder61 » Sun May 08, 2022 11:26 am

Karebru wrote:Just some progress pictures...

One of the less enjoyable parts of the process...
Gluing the aluminum skin to the new steel and keeping it flat.

Hi karebru, I'm following this build, need to pick up a lot of information for our conversion. Hope you don't mind questions.
What did you use to glue the aluminum to the steel? :thinking:
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
6' X 12' CTC = Texas Sized Tackle Box
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74704
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby Karebru » Sun May 08, 2022 1:26 pm

The manufacturers use what looks like heavy duty construction adhesive to glue the skins on, so I went with that. After squirting a liberal amount between the aluminum and steel, I clamped the pieces of wood in the picture to the ribs on each side of the window opening. Then I used some small wooden wedges where needed in the glue joints to close any gaps between the aluminum face and the flat clamping boards.
For the corner blocks I used two part epoxy, because I happened to have it, but the construction adhesive would work too.
I let everything get good and hard for a day or two before removing the clamps.
Don't forget to cover the outside of the skin with masking tape before you start gluing to protect it from scratching... Or sticking, if you're messy with adhesives, like me.
Karebru
The 300 Club

Postby Staryder61 » Sun May 08, 2022 3:35 pm

Thank you for the reply Karebru, on the adhesive.
We've got a long way to go before working any windows, pick up our trailer next Tuesday.
Trying to gather as much information we can as we wait patiently. :roll:
I want it here now. :cry:
My better half and I have just sat here and went through your complete 7' X16' build log:
Really liked the way you reconfigured the bed set up..
Your build gave us a lot of information and designing ideas for ours.

And BTW, you have one great looking trailer and your talent is unsurpassed by many. :applause: :thumbsup: :applause:

Karebru wrote:They're never really finished, are they. :thinking:
After our fourth long weekend trip in our camper, we decided we're very happy with it, except for the sleeping arrangements.
After 41 years of sleeping side by side in the same bed, the sentiment is still there, but the old bodies need to be able to make bathroom visits in the middle of the night without having to climb over the top of each other.

Through the building processes, I bounced around several ideas for bunk arrangements. What I ended up with worked well for what it was, but we both agree that we need to be able to just sit up, put our feet on the floor, and stand up.

So... It's back to the original plan of split fold-up bunks with an aisle down the middle.

On the road, our mattresses ride on edge, between the cabinets up front. So I didn't need to allow for their thickness when hinging the bed platforms. This really opened up the cargo area, compared to the old set up.
(I need to make a cover for the water tank surround.)

[/size]
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby Karebru » Mon May 09, 2022 1:06 am

Staryder61 wrote:My better half and I have just sat here and went through your complete 7' X16' build log:
Really liked the way you reconfigured the bed set up..
Your build gave us a lot of information and designing ideas for ours.

Um... Thanks. :oops:
I hope I gave enough credit to the people who helped me along the way. There's a wealth of information here.
Karebru
The 300 Club

Postby Grummy » Tue May 10, 2022 1:14 pm

Nice looking work there friend. I like the layout being open and airy by keeping the upper walls clear of cabinets in the rear of the trailer. It too was a plan of mine that went south at some point and am seriously considering a little remodel where I have a cabinet going from floor to ceiling.

I have to find a "friend" that will let me build out their trailer ! I sure want to do another, but have you seen those trailer PRICES ! :shock:
Grummy
Teardrop Master

Postby Karebru » Tue May 10, 2022 10:26 pm

Grummy wrote:
I have to find a "friend" that will let me build out their trailer ! I sure want to do another, but have you seen those trailer PRICES ! :shock:

Not lately, but I know materials prices are going up every day. In the long run, I think the purchase price of the trailer is a small part of the overall expense.
And yes. It's fun to do, even if it's for someone else. 8)
Karebru
The 300 Club

Postby Staryder61 » Sun May 15, 2022 12:52 pm

Karebru, what have you used to cut the holes through the sides? Maybe I've missed it if you've said.
I've read different ones use jig saws, some body grinder cut off tools with thin discs. :thinking:
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby Karebru » Sun May 15, 2022 10:13 pm

Staryder61 wrote:Karebru, what have you used to cut the holes through the sides? Maybe I've missed it if you've said.
I've read different ones use jig saws, some body grinder cut off tools with thin discs. :thinking:

To me, a jigsaw with a blade for thin metal is the easiest to control, and it cuts like butter. Drill a starter hole. Set the blade oscillation on zero (If the saw has it.) for the cleanest cut.
And again, make sure everything is covered with masking tape to protect it from scratching.
Karebru
The 300 Club

Postby Staryder61 » Sun May 15, 2022 10:46 pm

Karebru wrote:
Staryder61 wrote:Karebru, what have you used to cut the holes through the sides? Maybe I've missed it if you've said.

To me, a jigsaw with a blade for thin metal is the easiest to control, and it cuts like butter. Drill a starter hole. Set the blade oscillation on zero (If the saw has it.) for the cleanest cut.
And again, make sure everything is covered with masking tape to protect it from scratching.

Ok , Thank you for the information. That helps a lot. :thumbsup: I have a Bosch with oscillation and can turn it off.
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby Staryder61 » Mon May 30, 2022 11:12 am

Karebru, just popping in to see if you have updated here yet?
Enjoy the weekend..
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby Karebru » Mon May 30, 2022 10:59 pm

Staryder61 wrote:Karebru, just popping in to see if you have updated here yet?
Enjoy the weekend..

LOL! Funny you should ask.
The finisher has been draggin' his a$$ about getting all the trim and stuff done and back to me. And since it's his trailer, I put the project on the back burner.
He showed up today, out of the blue, and dropped off a bunch of stuff. So I guess I'd better get back on it.
First thing to be done at this point, is cut the flooring to fit and glue it down. That is, after Bondo-ing plywood joints and screw holes. :SH
Hopefully this week.
Karebru
The 300 Club

Postby Staryder61 » Tue May 31, 2022 8:33 am

Karebru wrote:
Staryder61 wrote:Karebru, just popping in to see if you have updated here yet?
Enjoy the weekend..

LOL! Funny you should ask.
The finisher has been draggin' his a$$ about getting all the trim and stuff done and back to me. And since it's his trailer, I put the project on the back burner.
He showed up today, out of the blue, and dropped off a bunch of stuff. So I guess I'd better get back on it.
First thing to be done at this point, is cut the flooring to fit and glue it down. That is, after Bondo-ing plywood joints and screw holes. :SH
Hopefully this week.

:lol: that happens when you're waiting on someone else.
I was going to take the floor plywood out Saturday. Figured I could paint the bottom of it several coats of latex paint. Finish insulating and wiring between coats of paint. Then the wind picked up 9mph to 15mph gusts, wouldn't have been able to keep the plywood on the saw horses. :disappointed:
Trying to figure out a bracket to hold the barn doors open in the wind on the back of the trailer. Damn near got clocked yesterday with one of the doors.
Any suggestions?
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions