AC idea

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

AC idea

Postby Wrecit » Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:42 pm

More than likely since I am getting a better than I expected tax return I will be going with a portable that I will build into the interior and vent straight out thru the wall but another idea I had was to use a home wall unit and push it out the front of the trailer onto the trailer tongue and use some rubber bushings for vibration then fabricate a box or modify a tongue box to fold open to let it breath.

The thought is it would not take up critical floor space and mounting it low you would not have to do any special reinforcement on the wall.

Good outside the box or dumb idea?
You hide your conversion and call it stealth. I put mine out in the open and give it a beer.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74635
Wrecit
Teardrop Master

Re: AC idea

Postby hankaye » Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:17 am

Wrecit, Howdy;

Box ??? what box ???

You'll need a fan or something to move the cool air up as the thermostat will
cut it off when the cooler air arrives at what ever level it's at.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby rjgimp » Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:54 am

hankaye wrote:Wrecit, Howdy;

Box ??? what box ???
hank

Hank, I think in this context the “box” he’s referring to is the interior of the camper. His question is whether to use a portable a/c inside the “box” or cabin of the camper or mount a window unit out on the tongue.
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby Wrecit » Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:10 pm

No guys I am thinking flush mount the window ac into the front wall with the body of the ac resting on a slightly sloped plate on the tongue. The only issue I would see is road trash (small rocks, ect) flying up and damaging the unit going down the road so you would need to fabricate some kind of a box to cover it going down the road.

If you wanted to go extreme you could extend the thermocouple further up the wall to account for temp difference but I am thinking that would be over kill. Just point the louvers up or even add a diverter to push air flow up should be good enough.
You hide your conversion and call it stealth. I put mine out in the open and give it a beer.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74635
Wrecit
Teardrop Master

Postby Gulfcoast » Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:56 pm

I installed an RV hatch in the side of my 6x12 trailer just in front of the driver side wheel well. I slide the little A/C out the hatch when I want to use it and remove it when I don't. It works well for me.
6x12 cargo trailer - Mini Split A/C - Starlink - TMobile home internet
Gulfcoast
Teardrop Master

Postby theicomguy » Fri Feb 18, 2022 6:29 pm

I was hoping to do similar in my cargo trailer. Two issues for me, Issue 1 is I have a V Nose so looked at side and all the studs are too narrow to slide an AC unit thru. I am not cutting one in half like I've seen some folks do. If I had thought about it I would have asked the factory to leave 1 an inch further apart so I could do it. So my plan is to build a box around the fresh side and pull air from below trailer, then another box from the back of it to the front V with 2 vents there to let out hot air.
theicomguy
Teardrop Builder

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:57 pm

Advantages of not attaching it permanently. You can leave it home, It makes less noise with no mechanical connection...

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=44561&hilit=Hacking+a
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby onehoser » Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:17 am

i vented my window shaker through the floorImage

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I am the wisest man alive, for i know one thing, and that is that i know nothing. (socrates)
onehoser
The 300 Club

Postby bdosborn » Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:21 pm

I out my AC on slides so it could go through a baggage door. Still very happy with this setup.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions