What stabilizer legs should I use?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: What stabilizer legs should I use?

Postby Modstock » Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:06 am

Mine came with these stabilizers.
Surprised how many people don't know how to use em. Not rocket science.
Never had a problem but as stated above I nose down the trailer, let em down and use a long screwdriver to push down the stabilizers, then crank up the front a few turns to add some pressure.
Blocking the tires helps too. Image

Sent from my SM-A115AP using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Grummy » Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:24 pm

>>> Mine came with these stabilizers. Surprised how many people don't know how to use em. Not rocket science.

Those are what I had. They do work far better than just scissor jacks.. they are wobbly as all get out without cross bars, but your style is far too fiddly at my age with the bending/twisting in TWO rear corners along with the back and forth running around. Could be an old guy thing. Time's a wastin' you know.. could be gone tomorrow !

My 6x12 is typical... the floor rides right around 12" off the ground. Too often where I went, the terrain is not level (higher in the back) and the lower the nose thing (which is annoying enough), wouldn't allow me to even tip out those jacks. Good Lord, I'd be digging a hole to get them to swing out, digging the tongue deeper to get the back up... ARG! PITA.

My side to side leveling had usually taken me the longest because I did not have those levels that showed you how many of inches of lift I would need. Now with those, life is a dream ! If the bubble tells me I need 3", a 3" ramp is what she gets backed on and I'm done.

So, my also non-rocket science method once side to side is addressed is chock the wheels, jack up and off the ball, drop trailer to level (I can see my level from the jack). Unfold the single stabilizer I listed above, Slide it under the back edge and ratchet up the strap. Done ! It SELF adjusts to fit the ground contours with even pressure. You can't beat these. It takes less than 30 seconds to fully deploy. I cant say that about those originals. It will be even less time this next season because that stabilizer is going to be mounted on the trailer ready for deployment so I do not have to pull it out of the tongue box.

I built the same concept for my deck/patio as again, it self levels to any ground contour.
Grummy
Teardrop Master

Postby BuildingOurDayDream » Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:16 pm

Have you looked at http://www.trailerlegs.com? I think this is what I'm going with. Good news/bad news - good news is that my torsion axles will engage the unsprung portion of the suspension making for a solid stabilization. Bad news is that the axle cross members are too low so I'll have to drive up on ramps first. Shouldn't be too much of problem when setting them up, but could be dicey when lowering them. We'll see.
BuildingOurDayDream
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Modstock » Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:11 pm

Grummy wrote: Unfold the single stabilizer I listed above, Slide it under the back edge and ratchet up the strap. Done ! It SELF adjusts to fit the ground contours with even pressure. You can't beat these. It takes less than 30 seconds to fully deploy. I cant say that about those originals. It will be even less time this next season because that stabilizer is going to be mounted on the trailer ready for deployment so I do not have to pull it out of the tongue box.

I built the same concept for my deck/patio as again, it self levels to any ground contour.

Well, let's see this self leveling jack.

Sent from my SM-A115AP using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Wrecit » Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:55 pm

Grummy those look like they would work very well for peaceful camping. Not sure they would hold up well to if the trailer is a rocking use though. It took only 6 months to completely destroy a fully welded bed frame a few years ago so.......
You hide your conversion and call it stealth. I put mine out in the open and give it a beer.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74635
Wrecit
Teardrop Master

Postby Grummy » Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:26 pm

>>>Well, let's see this self leveling jack.

I believe I said ..... "SELF adjusts to fit the ground contours"...... which it does perfectly, with one arm tied behind my back... and even my eyes shut. Because the two legs are independent, each can swing down to whatever angle is necessary . One can be at a 45. other at 20 degrees. The ratchet strap keeps it pulled up tight to the trailer and tight to the ground.

>>>those look like they would work very well for peaceful camping.

I think you would be surprised. I was. I wont bother with anything but. Trailer is rock, rock, rock, triple compound double rock steadyER when I use one in each axis... But I usually only bother with one across the rear. If you get the leg lengths to average 45 degrees, you have both lift stability and side to side. There is no wobble.

If you and your wife are banging things up that hard maybe the "Trailer legs" option is the best because you will still be fully on bouncy springs, taking some heat off of the floor joists. You'll just need the sign "If this trailers rockin'......" because it will likely be noticeable those who pass by.

Or label your trailer as a Painting Company and then you can get a sign > "Paint shaker may be in use at any time".
Grummy
Teardrop Master

Postby Wrecit » Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:39 pm

Lol we only camp at a few adult only camp grounds. Walking around some nights looking at trailers you would swear we were having an earth quake. One very excited couple new to the scene last year got an applause when they came out for air. The wife turned beat red lol
You hide your conversion and call it stealth. I put mine out in the open and give it a beer.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74635
Wrecit
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions