Good size V-nose for a Wrangler (JKUR) and other questions

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Good size V-nose for a Wrangler (JKUR) and other questions

Postby zimm » Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:33 am

I'm toying with the idea of converting a cargo trailer. What's a good size match for a JKUR with a max tow of 3500 pounds and 350 hitch weight? 6x10 or 6x12?

My goal is to have cabinets in the nose, RV side door, windows, and drop down rear ramp. I'd like to be able camp in it, haul a motorcycle, or even use it for cargo like hauling a lawn tractor. Power will likely be a goal zero box, solar on the roof, roof A/C, and figure out a way to have heat. I have a Honda EU2000 I can bring along if I need A/C off grid. Toilet I just plan to use a cleanwaste folding toilet with WAG bags. Not sure on bed ideas- futon or maybe disc-o-bed.
zimm
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Good size V-nose for a Wrangler (JKUR) and other questio

Postby onehoser » Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:31 pm

i tow my 6x12 with a 2dr jk rated for 2,000lbs, i’d go with the 12’ footer. since weight was an issue i stripped out the osb floor (500lbs) and walls and replaced them with revolutionply (luaun) and plywood, shaving 220lbs off of the total weight.
I am the wisest man alive, for i know one thing, and that is that i know nothing. (socrates)
onehoser
The 300 Club

Postby theicomguy » Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:42 am

We went with the 5x10x6' High VNose for my 2020 Gladiator. It sits about 10" higher than the truck. The 5' is the exact width of the JT bed and was trying to keep wind resistance at bay. Ours is a WIP now. Hopefully done before we roll in July.
theicomguy
Teardrop Builder

Postby Grummy » Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:01 pm

This may be helpful.... I tow a 6x12 w/ 6' inside height with a Chrysler Town and Country. I think we have the same 3.6L power plant. My current trailer weight is right up there around the 2990lb point.

If I have a pretty good headwind, I tend to avoid pushing its limits by slowing down to 60mph, though, I have found that if I get back up to 70ish, it seems the motor has enough torque there to also pull it decently. It just seems there is a poor torque section between those two speeds.

With little or no headwind, it tows very well, though you always have to stay down a gear and just let her wind up. Its the nature of the smaller bore engines. Took me a while to accept that.

Would a V8 truck or van be a better TV ? Sure. If I was towing every day of my life, I would get something bigger. But for me right now and my couple of trips a year, I do not mind the near 30mpg highway when not towing, and I can run anywhere between 14mpg and 17mpg when towing. In the end, the fuel costs beat the full size TV option handily.

Between 6x10' or 12', I don't think the 12' adds any inconvenience to towing as its all in line. Interior space though will be much appreciated. The only thing I could add is a 5' wide might have a little less wind resistance and fit on trails better if that is your intent. A 6' wide is still more than 7' wide with the wheels and fenders.

Lastly, with your shorter wheelbase (I assume), you'll probably want to add brakes to the trailer.
Grummy
Teardrop Master

Postby Wrecit » Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:58 pm

Going to second having brakes on the trailer (though my 12 footer does not have them) one thing to remember is though I am sure you are a good driver, as we all are, you are towing your trailer for a relaxing weekend. The relaxation needs to start before you hook up. Just because your TV can do 65 to 80 MPH does not mean you have to or should. You will not brake out in a rash if you stay in the left hand lane and do 5 or 10 under. Some times these trailers will get squirrelly for no good reason and at high speed it could ruin your year. Even a tire blow out at 45mph could be a disaster. Know guys that haul trailers as a day job that have totaled $60,000 trucks. If pros get in trouble what chance do us weekend guys have
You hide your conversion and call it stealth. I put mine out in the open and give it a beer.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74635
Wrecit
Teardrop Master

Postby zimm » Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:25 pm

I'm also researching tear drops at the same time and you guys have a good point about a 5' wide trailer. That will keep the tire track about the same as well. Going from 6 to 5 feet wide means I'll have to sleep fore and aft and not across the trailer, so that narrows down layout options.

I was towing a 17' fiberglass Casita which is just a little over the comfort zone for my Jeep. It would do okay but I'd like less trailer this time around.

How does the 6' height work? I'm 5' 10", will I clear everything or will I bang my head on stuff?
zimm
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Wrecit » Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:38 pm

zimm wrote:
How does the 6' height work? I'm 5' 10", will I clear everything or will I bang my head on stuff?

At 6 ft 2inch tall there are days I really hate my 6ft 3 trailer. My wife that is 5ft 3 thinks it's just fine
You hide your conversion and call it stealth. I put mine out in the open and give it a beer.

Wrecit
Teardrop Master

Postby zimm » Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:40 pm

Wrecit wrote:
zimm wrote:

At 6 ft 2inch tall there are days I really hate my 6ft 3 trailer. My wife that is 5ft 3 thinks it's just fine

My wife is 5' 1" so she'll clear. I'm thinking 6' 6" will be a better option. Especially if I get an RV roof A/C in it.
zimm
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Wrecit » Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:46 pm

Measure the actual door height (man door) it seems so simple that you just need to duck your head to enter. Would be funny however to make a post to see how many enclosed guys have permanent dents in the top of their heads from going in and out of the door of 6footers

I think my old school door is 5ft 9
Last edited by Wrecit on Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wrecit
Teardrop Master

Postby zimm » Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:47 pm

Wrecit wrote:Measure the actual door height (man door) it seems so simple that you just need to duck your head to enter. Would be funny however to make a post to see how many enclosed guys have permanent dents in the top of their heads from going in and out of the door of 6footers

I crashed my head into the door on my Casita many times. Mostly while using the step and "hopping" in. BANG!
zimm
Teardrop Inspector

Postby onehoser » Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:48 pm

i’m 5’-10” and i’m very happy with the extra head room 6’-6” gives me in my 6x12. we don’t do long road trips so the extra square footage of wind resistance isn’t that big of a deal for us.
I am the wisest man alive, for i know one thing, and that is that i know nothing. (socrates)
onehoser
The 300 Club

Postby Wrecit » Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:56 pm

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=74396

You may need to reinforce your roof for an ac unit.

The thread above is how to use a window unit if you have a flat front trailer

Wrecit
Teardrop Master

Postby zimm » Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:36 pm

Wrecit wrote:https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=74396

You may need to reinforce your roof for an ac unit.

The thread above is how to use a window unit if you have a flat front trailer

If I do a cargo I plan to get one with the roof A/C already on it, windows in, and insulated. Then I can do the rest myself.
zimm
Teardrop Inspector

Postby rjgimp » Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:06 am

zimm wrote: Power will likely be a goal zero box, solar on the roof, roof A/C, and figure out a way to have heat. I have a Honda EU2000 I can bring along if I need A/C off grid.

I don't own either so I can only relate what others have said, but I'm not sure your Honda has enough snort to fire up a typical roof A/C setup. Even the smallest of window shakers might be a challenge.
:NC
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby Grummy » Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:37 am

My trailer runs about 6' 1" inside. I am 5' 11-1/2". I made sure everything on the ceiling was flush installed, and I can walk everywhere without bumping anything.

My last project was a step van and was 7' inside. When I bought the trailer, I just couldn't see the added wind resistance for something that I was never going to find myself just pacing back and forth in, for hours on end.

Point is, you go inside and sit or sleep 96% of the time your in there... not doing jumping jacks !

I've been happy with the 6' choice over extra wind resistance.
Grummy
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions