CTC Spring Question - Opinions Anyone ?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

CTC Spring Question - Opinions Anyone ?

Postby Grummy » Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:28 pm

I bought my particular trailer specifically after I did a lot of measuring. My driveway has a peculiar approach angle that is not that steep, but I prefer the lowest to the ground trailer I can get. So, after drawing that approach in Cad as well as the trailer in question, I had pretty much 2.5" of clearance so I could back in without anything dragging.

Now as my conversion approaches the point where things are going to be where they are, I am just starting to drag the very back as I back in the driveway. So, I need to restore the height I once had. or, perhaps gain just an inch or inch and a half. I have an under slung spring set... and I really do not want to flip them to the top because it would be way too high.

It's 2990lb trailer that currently rides fantastic with its original 4 spring pack (leaves). My most difficult option would be to cut off the front spring mounts and make taller ones and lengthen the shackles as with this, I could get an exact lift dimension. But this could add more trailer side sway with the longer shackles...

My other option is to simply replace the existing leafs with a set of 5200lb springs (5 leafs) in HOPES that the extra carry-ability raises it to an acceptable height. But, with this I also add in the unknown issue of ride quality afterwards. I'd hate to give up my ride quality as even on some of the most cringe worthy roads, things really stay put currently.

So, perhaps someone else has been in a similar situation and could lend some "hands on" / "been there" advice ? I'm no stranger to the work.. I probably had my Step Van spring stacks apart 10 times, dialing those in over the course of the build.
Grummy
Teardrop Master

Re: CTC Spring Question - Opinions Anyone ?

Postby rjgimp » Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:00 pm

I worked for a guy for a few years recently doing lawn care. He has a 6x12 single axle cargo trailer which is used for weekly mowing work. Most of that time he lived in a place with a driveway that had a fairly sharp transition at the bottom and during the summer he kept this trailer at his home so it was getting backed in there every day for six months. His solution was to have heavy duty steel caster wheels mounted to the very rear of the frame so they would hang about a half inch or so below the lowest 'drag' point. Those wheels hit the pavement every time we backed in but they just rolled along for about two feet until we got past the transition point then all was well. Worked great.
:thumbsup:
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby Karebru » Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:40 pm

The first thing that came to my mind was the air bags I have on my truck. They allow me to adjust the firmness of the rear suspension for heavy loads. Changing the pressure in them also changes the height of the vehicle. I think several people on here use them. I don't know if there are any specifically made for trailers, but it's all in the mounting brackets. I guess they could be modified.
Having said that, I like the casters idea... "Wheelie Bars" 8)
I'm not going outside until the temperature is above my age.
Karebru
The 300 Club

Postby Grummy » Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:14 am

Thanks for the tips so far...

Casters wouldn't work for me... I've removed my rear tip down jacks (hate them things) and put some steel drag plates in their place just so I do not drag on the aluminum frame. And, I'm just starting to slide them across the sidewalk for a split second.

Again, it is all because of the loaded weight of the conversion. I think I may have went down about 2-1/2" from empty because the OE rear jacks used to clear by about the same amount.

Bags might work... I need to take a look. There are some thin double and triple bags that might fit between the U-Bolts and the Angle Steel of the Suspension section that the spring hangers are welded to. Not a big fan of adding more weight, nor of having static bags where there is not an onboard compressor.

I've been thinking a spring swap makes the most sense, but it is a crap shoot as to what height I will end up with as well as ride quality when done.
Grummy
Teardrop Master

Postby hankaye » Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:59 am

Grummy, Howdy;

Springs are as good a choise as anything mentioned so far. I had 1 leaf changed
on my F-250 once. The extra 0.002" of thickness in the new leaf gave me an extra
1K# of lift (it was the center leaf), did firm up the ride a wee bit (not to harsh),
and got rid of the ' normal ' slope that Fords have with the rear about an inch
lower then the nose.
Of course, folks that like Springs will tout Springs and Air Bag folks will tout Air Bags.
The Nature of folks is what it is. So, think it through and it IS your trailer.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Grummy » Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:31 am

>>> Springs are as good a choise as anything mentioned so far.

Yep.. I think I'll have to try springs first. I see some pretty good potential options with these guys: https://www.stengelbros.net/Eye-Eye-Tra ... c_254.html

Now, I just have to take a gamble on which set to buy. I wish I would have measured my stock springs according to their charts to see where I started, but, if it takes one or two sets before I get it right, so be it.

Thanks !
Grummy
Teardrop Master

Postby Jraoffroad » Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:34 pm

You got room just run a taller tire? Seems the easies and most trailers could use a tire upgrade anyway.
2020 United XLTV 8.5x31
2001 F350 CCLB 4x4 Dually 7.3L
Jraoffroad
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Grummy » Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:04 pm

Taller Tire ? Not Really.. Not without moving a fender up. More holes in the trailer I do not desire.

I emailed to Forest River (makers of the ATTX) and told them my issue, gave them my axle part number, then asked specifically for a spring part number so I could see exactly what they used.

I was surprised that the lady who responded did not seem to want to indicate what the part number was, only that my only option was to use a straight axle instead of the drop and the I could gain 2.5" of height. That much I figured.

I need an inch, or inch and a half. That's it. 2.5" would make it that my Tow Vehicle tailgate will not clear my tongue jack when hooked up without extending my hitch an inch and a quarter.... another thing I do not want to do.

Warm weather is coming here.... I'll figure something out.
Grummy
Teardrop Master

Postby onehoser » Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:26 pm

use an adjustable hitch so that you can lower the front of your trailer bringing the rear of it up?
I am the wisest man alive, for i know one thing, and that is that i know nothing. (socrates)
onehoser
The 300 Club

Postby Modstock » Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:30 pm

Have you thought about using a 2x8,10 planks (piece of wood) for the trailer to drive up on to gain the clearance needed . Cheaper, no need to modify trailer. Problem solved.

Sent from my SM-A115AP using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:38 pm

Taller spring hanger.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Grummy » Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:55 pm

I had to do the plank dance for years with a car trailer. PITA at this point of my life.

Taller Hangers.......
Yep, that does seem to be the one and only assured way to get exactly a dimension I want. It's an aluminum frame trailer, so they have a steel angle bolted to the frame that holds the hangers.

My old body is shot, and laying under, grinding, welding upside down etc. no longer seems appealing. Maybe I unbolt the angle, pull the U-bolts and slide it out. Doing it on the bench would be far easier and likely a better outcome.

Still too cold around here to get into it yet.... warm weather is coming......
Grummy
Teardrop Master

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions