6' x 12' CTC = Texas Sized Tackle Box

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Texas Sized Tackle Box = 6' X 12' CTC

Postby Staryder61 » Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:32 pm

5:00 pm, the temp 97, feel like 104.. I know it's hotter than that somewhere else.. :(

We decided weeks back, we wanted to reuse the 3/8" ply that came out of the trailer.. sand it, coat it with a couple coats of clear polyurethane.. and put it back up. If it looked good enough.. :roll:

So here's one piece of it.. it's going back up.. :thumbsup:

Today decided to work on the trailer even with the heat. Finished up the insulation and taping..

Thought it would be a good time to see how the clear coated 5mm Revolution plywood would look. It has 3 coats of polyurethane on it. 2 coats 50/50 mix, 1 coat pure.. :)

169447 169446 169448

Wife and I think it will look great.. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
6' X 12' CTC = Texas Sized Tackle Box
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74704
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Re: Texas Sized Tackle Box = 6' X 12' CTC

Postby JasenC » Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:42 pm

It did come out nice, always a little iffy sanding finish grade ply, the veneers have gotten so thin these days.
I've returned a few pieces because I could actually see the substrate through the veneer once I got it into good lighting.
I'll be done when I'm finished, if that's not fast enough, take a number.

Build Thread https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74269
JasenC
The 300 Club

Postby Staryder61 » Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:50 pm

Wanted to get more done today. Thought if we could get some more of the roof done. I could install a light or two..
Then we could work during the evening, when it's not so hot out..
With the help of my awesome best friend (wife) :) we jumped in after lunch, and worked on the roof part of the trailer til 9:45 this evening. :thumbsup:

Rvlovent fan is finished with the trim ring..
One ceiling light is mounted and pre-wired.. which helped allow us to work the other half sheet of ceiling ply.
The Revolution ply is up..

169452 169453

The light works really good.. 8)

169454 169451

It was a very productive evening..

Did take a break today and ran to post office to pick up a couple small packages..
with the following in them..

Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby bullchuck1 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:32 pm

I like the looks of it so far. Will use a couple of ideas on my build.
Thanks Mark
bullchuck1
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Staryder61 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:59 pm

bullchuck1 wrote:I like the looks of it so far. Will use a couple of ideas on my build.

Thanks for dropping in Mark.. defiantly a work in progress.. :)
been watching for updates on your Fire/hunt trailer..

We worked on polyurethaning more panels this evening.. when it started to cool off..
moving slow with the heat we're having.. :sweaty:
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby jaws_1972 » Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:21 pm

The finished wood, light and fan are all looking good. Sanding and polyurethaning plywood must be a huge project in itself. You're post office packages remind me that I might need to add a shutoff at some point in time.
Jeff (aka Jaws)

My build
Legend 7x16+2V "Lucky" Build
jaws_1972
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bdosborn » Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:59 am

jaws_1972 wrote:Sanding and polyurethaning plywood must be a huge project in itself.

I was thinking the same thing - that's a lot of work. It looks great. :thumbsup:
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Staryder61 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:09 am

Sanded and finished some of the inside sheets of 3/8" plywood we are reusing.. 3 coats of polyurethane total, sanding between coats. It has some scrapes and nicks in it, but hey it's got character..

169464 169465

Seems will all be covered up with trim.. or where cabinets will be installed.

169470 169471

jaws_1972 wrote:The finished wood, light and fan are all looking good. Sanding and polyurethaning plywood must be a huge project in itself. You're post office packages remind me that I might need to add a shutoff at some point in time.

Jeff, A shut off is a good thing to start with, even if just adding temporary and making permanent later..
Sanding and polyurethaning is just time consuming, and the final look is amazing, I really enjoy this part of the build. Not a bad project..

The only wood we wanted to buy for this project was the ceiling plywood and of course the insulation.. though, the rest of this build if it works out, will be repurposing old wood.. and other things we already have stored. :thinking:
old cedar and pine privacy fence boards,
2" x 4" pine, several of these,
wood from old oak pallets,
brown vinyl lattice, my wife thought would look good in the door frames, and great for ventilation.
So we'll see how a combination of this and that works together... :thumbsup:
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby Staryder61 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:24 am

jaws_1972 wrote:The finished wood, light and fan are all looking good. Sanding and polyurethaning plywood must be a huge project in itself. You're post office packages remind me that I might need to add a shutoff at some point in time.

Jeff, Thank you for the kind comments.. I'll jump over to yours here shortly and see what you've updated.. :)

Post by bdosborn » Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:59 am

jaws_1972 wrote:
Sanding and polyurethaning plywood must be a huge project in itself.

I was thinking the same thing - that's a lot of work. It looks great. :thumbsup:
Bruce

Thanks Bruce, I'll stick to wood, you do the plumbing and electrical.. :lol: I've seen your update, you blow me away with the plumbing and electrical you're always doing.. :thinking:
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby Mr. Lahey » Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:47 am

The only wood we wanted to buy for this project was the ceiling plywood and of course the insulation.. though, the rest of this build if it works out, will be repurposing old wood.. and other things we already have stored. :thinking:
old cedar and pine privacy fence boards,
2" x 4" pine, several of these,
wood from old oak pallets,
brown vinyl lattice, my wife thought would look good in the door frames, and great for ventilation.

Got a kick out of this quote.

Have to channel Yogi Berra for this one. We are building the exact same thing. Only different.

I am using the same approach. Trying to purchase little. Tap into my stash of recycled, leftover, and salvaged materials.
Cedar fence pickets. Plywood cutoff scraps, salvaged lumber and so forth. I have no shame when it comes to dumpster diving or curb finds.

Should we share a logo? You could get a tattoo. I'm good with a t-shirt.

295-2952054_transparent-reduce-reuse-recycle-png-reuse-reduce-recycle.png
295-2952054_transparent-reduce-reuse-recycle-png-reuse-reduce-recycle.png (30.8 KiB) Viewed 384 times
My teardrop camper build journal: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64721
Mr. Lahey
The 300 Club

Postby Staryder61 » Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:08 pm

Mr. Lahey wrote:

Got a kick out of this quote.

Have to channel Yogi Berra for this one. We are building the exact same thing. Only different.

I am using the same approach. Trying to purchase little. Tap into my stash of recycled, leftover, and salvaged materials.
Cedar fence pickets. Plywood cutoff scraps, salvaged lumber and so forth. I have no shame when it comes to dumpster diving or curb finds.

Should we share a logo? You could get a tattoo. I'm good with a t-shirt.

295-2952054_transparent-reduce-reuse-recycle-png-reuse-reduce-recycle.png

:lol: where we live out in the country. We drove by a business, that sells o-circle turn riding lawn mowers.. They come on pallets, complete pallets, bottoms sides and tops.
He had a lot of pallets, I called and asked what he was going to do with them all. He said they were spoken for.. ok, my loss..
we got back home he calls and says do you want some of these pallets, the person that spoke for them is not taking them..
"Well sure we'll take some, Thank you". :thinking:
He's says go by his house and pick up a small utility trailer and come and we'll load it up for you.. you'll have to take them apart.. "huh uh". I figured that.. he had sold 300 of those rider mowers.. "Duh!!!"
We went to go get the pallets, 4 loads.. then they showed up with a car hauler full of pallets twice. And a couple more loads later. He gave us all 300, yes, you read that right, all 300 pallets.. all made of oak, 4 x4's, 2 x4's, 3/4" stock..
My wife and I worked and worked on those pallets for days, taking some apart and cutting the others apart.. we cut the good wood up for later projects.. we cut pallets up for firewood.. ;) :thinking: we repurpose.... :applause: yep, yep, we do for sure.. you get the tattoo, I'll get the shirt :lol:

I might need to start hitting the building sites out here, they are putting in housing additions after housing additions out here. Bet I can find some things around those sites too..
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby Karebru » Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:51 pm

300? :o
Sounds like a lot of nice reclaimed lumber and a lot of work!

Trailer's lookin' good. I like that curved ceiling. :thumbsup:
Had to look up revolution ply.
I'm not going outside until the temperature is above my age.
Karebru
The 300 Club

Postby Staryder61 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:19 pm

Karebru wrote:300? :o
Sounds like a lot of nice reclaimed lumber and a lot of work!

Trailer's lookin' good. I like that curved ceiling. :thumbsup:
Had to look up revolution ply.

At first we didn't know we were getting all the pallets. Until, they just kept coming..
we'd get a load done, they'd deliver more. we worked hard for several weeks on those pallets..
either we got the wood or they would have burned it all, NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the comment, and on the curved ceiling.. it turned out pretty nice..
Revolution ply we got, looks more like a mahogany after clear coated.. pops the red grain..
it bent really easy on the curve of the ceiling too..
no oak, birch or sandeply available anywhere here close.
Have the front panels left to seal.. and install.. and primer the floor really well..
have to fill in joints and the screw holes in the floor to keep from leaving dips in the linoleum, we'll be putting down..
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Texas Sized Tackle Box = 6' X 12' CTC 6/13/20

Postby Staryder61 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:48 pm

Did a little more today on the plywood re-install inside, finished the front curved nose.. starting to look more and more like the inside of a camping trailer.. ;)

169528 169527

Sure glad all the seams get trim.. and there'll be shelves across the front, where this plywood is and thinking of doing sliding doors.
Well, I've called it for this afternoon and evening.. going to relax a little.. Cool off.. and plan dinner for tonight..

Maybe y'all like Scallops, maybe not.. but they are so awesome.. I love them, my wife never cared much for them.
Then all of a sudden I did dinner one night, fixed her a ribeye and myself some scallops. I fixed them with a little oil, garlic and butter.. and I think she ate half of them.. :lol:
So now Scallops are a splurge for a nice dinner sometimes. We went to the store and they had fresh silver dollar size Scallops in the seafood case.. so we picked up 2 pounds, and I will be fixing them tonight.. plenty of garlic butter.. small tossed Caesar salad and fried rice to go with them.. and will watch her enjoy them so much.. :D
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby Staryder61 » Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:12 pm

Our flooring will be linoleum so want to have the plywood as smooth as possible..

Mixed up some Durham's water putty, to putty any seams and screw holes in the flooring. This stuff is amazing.. depending on how you mix it, drys fast or slow.. and hard like bondo.. sands great too.. let it dry over night, and sanded with 60 grit paper on orbital sander..

169570 169571

After the sanding, swept out really good.. now comes the Bulls eye 1.2.3 primer. This primer works on any and everything.. this floor will get 2 coats of the primer. Want it sealed well, so if anything leaks under the linoleum there's no chance to ruin the plywood.

After the second coat and letting it dry over night.. it's time to move on.. :thinking:

The linoleum my wife picked out. Looks great in contrast to the darker wood grain.. I have laid it and rough cut it.. wall to wall...
This linoleum will be laid to float.. to let it expand and contract depending on the heat, cold and humidity..
It also gives an opportunity to be (removed) taken out easy, if it is ever torn or cut beyond repair..

169575 169574 169576

I will let it lay for a couple days, then I will cut it to size and staple it around the edge to hold it in place. All edges and staples will be covered either by cabinets or base trim against the walls.... :thumbsup:

Any gaps around the edge after stapled, will be caulked and filled will water proof caulking..
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions