6' x 12' CTC = Texas Sized Tackle Box

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: CTC Texas Sized Tackle Box = 6' X 12'

Postby twisted lines » Thu May 12, 2022 9:55 am

Grummy wrote: Boy it adds up !

I keep a similar spread sheet for recording travel distances to where and when which helps remind me when wheel bearing and brake maintenance really should be done.

Looking forward to what you pick for a layout.

:thumbsup:

I Like the Spreadsheet Idea, But I past the scales for my light weight the other day :thinking:
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Thu May 12, 2022 11:43 am

Polyisco insulation has the highest R value at HD, assuming you'll insulate after painting. :thumbsup:
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Staryder61 » Thu May 12, 2022 12:56 pm

bdosborn wrote:Polyisco insulation has the highest R value at HD, assuming you'll insulate after painting. :thumbsup:
Bruce

Hey there Bruce, You see we passed over the larger van. :lol: This will work better for us. ;)
Thanks for the info. and yes on the insulation. That Polyisco insulation is 90 mile round trip for me to get it. Right after the prepping for the paint, painting, running and redoing some wiring. Once we settle on a layout.
I try to plan my trips to the orange or blue box stores wisely. 50 mile round trip sucks if I forget something and have to go back :roll:

All side plywood off, ready to prep for paint. Will do the sides before we pull the bottom 3/4" ply. Easier to walk on plywood than stepping in and out and over the floor cross members.
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
6' X 12' CTC = Texas Sized Tackle Box
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74704
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby Grummy » Thu May 12, 2022 1:20 pm

With the walls out, don't forget to do the water drench test, spraying water intentionally at every seam from every angle possible. Easier to address now than later !
Grummy
Teardrop Master

Postby Staryder61 » Thu May 12, 2022 3:25 pm

Grummy wrote:With the walls out, don't forget to do the water drench test, spraying water intentionally at every seam from every angle possible. Easier to address now than later !

Another good suggestion Grummy,, had thought of that couple days ago. So bought 3 tubes of pure silicone, can be used anywhere, that no paint or other finish needs to be.
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby Grummy » Fri May 13, 2022 1:27 am

>>>>Will do the sides before we pull the bottom 3/4" ply.....

If you are going to insulate the floor, it is easier from the top when the floor is out if you ask me. You can get better measurements because your not crawling around underneath. I cut mine to be snug, laid a bead of adhesive on the inside edge of the frame and floor joists, pressed the PolyIso down and flush with the top of the joists. Right before I dropped the flooring section back in place, a dropped few dabs of adhesive here and there on top the PolyIso to get it to stick to the underside of the flooring.

I put the silver side down under the floor, and did still need to caulk all the way around the lower edge, but at least I only had to be laying under there for have the time.
Grummy
Teardrop Master

Postby Staryder61 » Fri May 13, 2022 12:00 pm

Grummy, I'm going back and forth on whether to insulate the bottom or not. I read this posting that says a waste of time, and another that says it helps. We are not winter campers per say. Though the heat off the asphalt pads we park on sometimes can get awfully hot. :sweaty:
To insulate the bottom, would be better when the plywood is out of the trailer for sure.
I know the crunch finding building material maybe hitting everyone, but damn, it's really hitting hard around where we live.
No baltic birch plywood available, cabinet shops where I use to get it, have none. Lauan ply is not available. Even the foam insulation is a hit and miss.
One place yesterday had 87 sheets of 1" foam, went to another site to check prices, they didn't have any. Went back to place the order at the other place. 87 sheets were unavailable. :thumbdown:
I may have to start collecting boxes from liqueur stores and using cardboard to insulate this trailer. ;) :lol:
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby flboy » Fri May 13, 2022 12:14 pm

Floor Insulation is easy enough to add after build. It just cuts and get glued in using construction adhesive.

I added it as it does help in hot and cold situations. It was worth it for me.

You can always try without and if you think you need it later to help keep cooler or etc., it is easy enough to add after.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Staryder61 » Fri May 13, 2022 12:34 pm

flboy,
how much did you add under yours?
If I'm going to add it, I better do it while the ply is out. Too damn old to be crawling under afterwards :lol:
Could measure it all off, while the plywood is standing against the inside of the trailer. Paint the plywood outside on the saw horses, then cut and glue the foam on before reinstalling the plywood. :thumbsup: That'll work. ;)
I'll be coating the bottom of the ply with a latex house primer, have a gal, might as well use it. Hopefully pl premium will stick the foam board to the paint. :roll:
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby flboy » Fri May 13, 2022 1:50 pm

I bought the 2" Styrofoam type with foil backing. The foil backing is facing downward.

I got the 2" because, 1) there is plenty of room for it and 2) I find the floor insulation makes a big difference, and 3) the incremental cost for 2" was not much.

Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Staryder61 » Fri May 13, 2022 2:17 pm

flboy wrote:I bought the 2" Styrofoam type with foil backing. The foil backing is facing downward.

I got the 2" because, 1) there is plenty of room for it and 2) I find the floor insulation makes a big difference, and 3) the incremental cost for 2" was not much.

That makes since flboy, just ordered the 1 inch for the sides, roof and the foil tape. 2" wasn't available, will have to check somewhere else for that. Have a friend with a lift, can always do the floor later.
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby Staryder61 » Fri May 13, 2022 11:20 pm

Well the big Orange box company strikes again. I put in a order today for 9 sheets of what foam board they had available.
Their online inventory showed they had 73 sheets in store. Just got a cancel notice email. They cancelled the order for lack of stock. :o :roll: I guess someone sold it all and forgot to update the inventory :x
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Re: Texas Sized Tackle Box = 6' X 12' CTC

Postby Staryder61 » Sat May 14, 2022 1:10 pm

Just a few quick pictures, I am finding out what everyone says about checking everything even on a new trailer.

169120 169119

169121 Need to caulk here and there for sure..

169122 I will solder and heat shrink all the wire connections 169123
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby Grummy » Sat May 14, 2022 5:50 pm

That's lots of "ventilation" there.... But not uncommon to see with the interior walls out. It's just crucial to do what you did, and that is strip them and check it out.

I can't imagine trying to build anything these days. You'll get that first sigh of relief in when you get all your holes addressed, insulation in and walls back up.

Regards to do or not to do the floor, I saw some comments about how "easy" it is to do it later. Depends on what "easy" means to the writer. Pretty much all things were easy for me when I was 50, now over 60, NOTHING is easy.

My last conversion was a truck without an insulated floor, and it was very cold for the fall camping we enjoy. It also makes for a quieter box to sleep in late.
Grummy
Teardrop Master

Postby onehoser » Sat May 14, 2022 5:54 pm

i plan on insulating the underside of my 6x12 once i get the wiring etc sorted out underneath, so i installed interlocking workout mat on the floor, makes a huge difference, nice on the bare feet, adds some sound deadening and insulation value too
I am the wisest man alive, for i know one thing, and that is that i know nothing. (socrates)
onehoser
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions