Window Unit AC

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Window Unit AC

Postby januaries » Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:27 pm

I've read about a lot of different ways of installing a window unit AC in a cargo trailer conversion. However, I don't remember reading much about the road-worthiness of one.

For those of you who have used one:
Do you have it on some kind of suspension or padding to ease the vibrations and jolting?
Do you leave it in place while you're on the road?
If you remove it, have you fabricated handles or developed some other clever way of manipulating it?
For those who have it installed the "proper" way (with the back end hanging outside the camper) do you have any external support for it?

In short, how well do these things travel, year after year? What travel-related precautions do you take?
januaries
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Window Unit AC

Postby foxontherun » Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:19 am

My window A/C is built into a cabinet and is fixed in place. I have tandem torsion axles on my trailer so not sure what the bounce factor would be although most all of my driving is on interstate and highway, not much washboard type roads. One of the interstates that I travel on seems the builders didn't know how to match up bridges to the roads and there are some pretty good jolts which at times makes me think trailer is going to hop off hitch when you hit them. Haven't had any issues so far, knock on wood, ha!

The back of the A/C fits into a wood shroud attached to wall vent (with foam insulation padding between the A/C and wood shroud); this holds the rear of A/C in place. The front is held down by small metal L brackets (one on each side) as well as a ratchet strap over the top and attached in eye hooks on the shelf A/C sits on. Near as I can tell, A/C has never moved. Traveled over 5,000 miles with it so far, no issues.

I have taken it out once to clean it (didn't really need to but wanted to make sure there was no mold). I just unbolt/unstrap the A/C and my wife and I slide it out and carry it out.

Harry :)
foxontherun
Teardrop Master

Postby Modstock » Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:28 pm

I went through 3 units in my teardrop trailer. Seems the copper lines always broke. Tried setting it on a foam pad and securing it better, still they broke . If ya can, remove it, set it on the bed or in the tow vehicle during travel.
These window units just aren't designed for vehicle use.

Sent from my SM-A115AP using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Grummy » Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:43 am

So, Mine has only made a few trips so far. But, I can't imagine it having a problem in my trailer.

For one, I've mounted mine right tight into the V-Nose, sitting right on top the tongue (In a tray). This location has about the least amount of vertical motion anywhere found on the trailer. Big difference in up / down jarring compared to say mounting something up high on the rear door or wall.

Second, My trailer rides so darn smooth I almost can't believe it. When I first got it, I'd get on one of those roads where you'd think everything would be flying around in the trailer and... nothing. I've forgotten things on the counter and "remembered" when I stopped along the way, finding the item barely moved from where it was. These days I have a rear camera as well as an interior camera to watch what might be happening inside, but nothing really happens.

I guess cracked lines would be my last concern. It might be that you'd want to examine the location you want to install it. No doubt things "jump" farther up and down at the full distance from the ball compared to the Ball or tongue itself.
Grummy
Teardrop Master

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions