How to Get Interior Wheel Wells

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

How to Get Interior Wheel Wells

Postby kaBLOOnie » Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:03 am

OK I admit it: I have finally gotten fed up with industry-standard, exterior wheel wells on my converted cargo trailer. A 6' wide cargo trailer is the same width as the tow vehicle, but when you add a foot on each side for the exterior wheel wells, it is difficult driving down narrow forest roads. :thumbdown:

So what can be done? It is true that exterior wheel wells make for a simple and inexpensive trailer frame design. So I realize that interior wheel wells will cost more than exterior wheel wells. And of course, interior wheel wells will eat into your interior storage space a little bit.

How many trailer manufacturers even offer interior wheel wells as an option?
kaBLOOnie
Teardrop Inspector

Re: How to Get Interior Wheel Wells

Postby Grummy » Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:40 am

A 6' wide trailer, certainly one with a 6' height with interior wheel wells becomes a liability for manufacturers when the people who use them do not understand that they can not load them like one with exterior wheels. If they are loaded like a typical trailer, they could get awful tippy and they would also be a whole lot more susceptible for flipping in higher winds simply because they would be narrower. Sure, lots of flat utility trailers are built with narrower axles, but you do not see them loaded 6' high and 6' wide.
Manufacturers already set their axles back farther than those of us who like to convert them would like just to keep those who do not know how to load trailers a little bit safer. In other words, they make it harder for people to screw up.

This pushes builders into a 7' wide trailer if you want inside wheel wells. The only common build for these are vendor trailers and they cost quite a bit more to build and buy. they are not as common to find, but they are available. I think any one of the trailer builders will build you one, but hang on to your wallet when you hear the price. When you find a vendor trailer, note to that many of them also have a more centered axle (still slightly towards the rear) because they use the floor plans and water tank placements to properly load the trailer regarding tongue weight.

But back to the 6' wide... people do buy them over 7' wide so they can see around them. I didn't want a 7' wide behind my minivan (a 6' wide is enough of a challenge for it), but with a7' wide, the challenge of staying within the 2990lb weight limit becomes even more tricky, similar to the 6'x14' single axle trailers because of the added space.

If money was no object, a good replacement for the traditional and popular 6x12 would be a 6 1/2 foot wide inside trailer with semi recessed wheels similar to the 102" wide trailers. Then a whole lot more people could sleep across the trailer and get more useful floor plan options. They will never build them though... the 6' wides are a pretty quick build.
Grummy
Teardrop Master

Postby januaries » Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:11 pm

https://www.diamondcargotrailers.org/options/

Quoted from their site:
Axles
6' Axle on 7' Wide Trailer (Wheel well boxes inside) $260
6' Axle on 7' Wide Trailer (Wheel well boxes inside) $455...
Narrow Track (5' axle on 6' wide) $455
Narrow Track (6' wide axle on 7' wide) $455

This is from the "Options" section on the diamond cargo trailer website. Under heading "Axles." I'm guessing the different prices has to do with single axle vs. tandem axle?

I haven't talked to any representatives and I don't know whether their site is accurate or up-to-date. I don't even know enough to be sure this represents exactly what you're looking for.
januaries
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Wrecit » Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:15 pm

What are you using for a tow? Standard truck is a a little under 8 ft wide. A 6 ft trailer should be narrower than that
You hide your conversion and call it stealth. I put mine out in the open and give it a beer.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74635
Wrecit
Teardrop Master

Postby kaBLOOnie » Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:19 am

Thanks for the responses, guys. I was particularly interested in that link to Diamond Trailers. I would definitely be willing to pay $500 for the option of interior wheel wells.
My tow vehicle is a GMC Savana van. Last time I measured it, the exterior width was a little over 6'. Aren't pickup trucks about the same?
kaBLOOnie
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Wrecit » Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:41 am

Rams are 82 to 88 wide and f150's are 79 to 86 wide depending on package. Tacoma is only 76. Your van lists at 79 inches so it's right in there on the low end
You hide your conversion and call it stealth. I put mine out in the open and give it a beer.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74635
Wrecit
Teardrop Master

Postby JasenC » Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:22 pm

My 06 Sierra is 78.5" wide, the camper is 76" as I wanted to stay with-in the shadow and not need tow mirrors.
I'll be done when I'm finished, if that's not fast enough, take a number.

Build Thread https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74269
JasenC
The 300 Club

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions