Utility Trailer as a mini-camper..any thoughts?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Postby mwatters » Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:44 pm

The Rally Master guy is out of the business. Sold off the molds (may still be TRYING to sell them in fact). Anyway - a couple of the trailers he did are on eBay right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fibergla ... dZViewItem

mkw
Mike
Watters
mwatters
Teardrop Master

Re: Utility Trailer as a mini-camper..any thoughts?

Postby Joseph » Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:58 am

Tear Dreamer wrote:This is not a teardrop question, but I have often thought that it would be quite simple to convert a fully enclosed utility trailer to a mini-camper. Anyone have any thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

I've thought about that, and what you'd have would be very similar to the old "bread loaf" style travel trailer, the most elegant of which was the Pierc-Arrow Travelodge. Like teardrops, build-it-yourself plans for this style trailer were offered in magazines and from outfits like the Hammer Blow Tool Co. in the mid-thirties.

Personally, I much prefer the "canned ham" to the "bread loaf," though if I had one of each I guess I could make TTT sandwiches! :lol:

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby Gaston » Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:01 pm

most of the utility trailers (enclosed type) i've worked on are too heavy to make a small camp trailer from and still pull with something less than a pickup truck. But they are great for hauling the harley around . :thumbsup:
The difficult we do now... the impossible takes a little longer
Gaston
Donating Member

Postby angib » Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:14 pm

Just after reading this, I came across this drawing I had filed away. I don't know who did it, where it's from or what size (Haulmark) trailer it is intended to use, but it seemed relevant.

Yup, that's the best quality one I've got! Looks very much like the Glen-L Sequoia layout.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:32 pm

Andrew,

That is so very similar to your 10' Dinette... :?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby derekxcole » Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:59 pm

Wonderful idea that I have always thought about doing but I wouldn't want to spend that much dough on a trailer and then ruin it while trying to do something to modify it. Such as putting in windows.
derekxcole
Teardrop Advisor

Postby goldcoop » Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:53 pm

arnereil wrote:Depends on the shape of the utility. The idea of a t/d is the aerodynamic shape for easy hauling. Most utility trailers are boxes. Lots of air resistance.... but, it depends on needs and expectations.

Hey Arne!

Here's one you should like!:

http://tinyurl.com/7hazv

Cheers,

Coop
goldcoop
Silver Donating Member

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions