Utility Trailer as a mini-camper..any thoughts?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Utility Trailer as a mini-camper..any thoughts?

Postby Tear Dreamer » Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:46 am

This is not a teardrop question, but I have often thought that it would be quite simple to convert a fully enclosed utility trailer to a mini-camper. Anyone have any thoughts, ideas, suggestions?
Tear Dreamer
Teardrop Builder

Postby mikeschn » Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:58 am

Sure, that's been done before...

Here's an example...

http://public.fotki.com/gregwjs/camping ... 4_028.html

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Postby TAILGATINGnNUT » Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:06 pm

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........got me thinking again!!!!!!!!!!
THat would be very interesting.... how about cutign those walls on those things? is it feasable if you sure it back up with supports and what not? kinda like hte idea of having a prebuilt trailer to work with
Looking to build the ultimate tailgating machine, anyone help me?
TAILGATINGnNUT
Teardrop Master

Postby BufordT » Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:46 am

My son in law's Dad did one of those up. Fixed him a counter area for cooking. Added a/c and heat. Placed a fold up bed in there for when he hauls his harley. Works great for him.

Bufordt :twisted:
"RUSH" The Man, The Legend, The Way Of Life.
BufordT
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby Arne » Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:45 am

Depends on the shape of the utility. The idea of a t/d is the aerodynamic shape for easy hauling. Most utility trailers are boxes. Lots of air resistance.... but, it depends on needs and expectations.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

BUFORT

Postby TAILGATINGnNUT » Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:41 pm

ANY INFO ON WHAT EXACTLY HE DID? AND HOW HE DID IT? HOW BIG OF A TRAILER DOES HE HAVE?
TAILGATINGnNUT
Teardrop Master

Postby BufordT » Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:27 am

Not much really. I only saw it once.

He used a old trailer dual axle that he got for cheap. Placed a few cabinets in the front to cook on and use for storage. Did some insulation on the walls and ceiling.

Added a plywood bed over the wheel walls that he takes up to put the harley in. That's about it.

You could get a smaller trailer with single axle and side door and a really neat job with it. Open the back and still have the kitchen there and do what ever you wanted to the inside.

Would all be up to you as there aren't many pic's of something like this.

Would make a great addition to this site to see someone do it.

BufordT
2nd Teardrop Club

Cutting the walls would probably work...

Postby Tear Dreamer » Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:30 am

I have a utility trailer and after examining it, I feel that the walls could be shaped into the tear shape. I can't do that with this one as it's my business trailer. My parents have one that they bought at a local store (Farm & Fleet) just recently and it really wouldn't be that difficult in shaping the walls.
Tear Dreamer
Teardrop Builder

Postby TAILGATINGnNUT » Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:33 am

I think they are talking about just converting the inside, not changing the look of the trailer. I am not a tear drop purist like most of the people on this board. I think they are a bit goofy looking and think the utility trailers look much "sportier". I was out pricing 5by8 utility trailers today with a bay door in hte back and a side door nad they are not very expensive. I am thinking of going this route come january. Many different interior options when consdiering all the space you have in one of these box trailers
TAILGATINGnNUT
Teardrop Master

Postby Tear Dreamer » Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:46 pm

I agree....I like the idea of one already made and then adding all the gadgets, bells, whistles...oh...and a mattress! Does anyone else have or know where to see any photos of a utility trailer converted into a nice little camper?
Tear Dreamer
Teardrop Builder

Postby Tear Dreamer » Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:14 pm

Tear Dreamer
Teardrop Builder

Postby BufordT » Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:41 pm

Tear Dreamer wrote:Interesting link...

http://www.trailersforless.com/escape_trailer.html

Yep that's the size trailer he used but it didn't look like that one the inside.

Goes to show you it can be done and looks really nice. If I had to have a bathroom/pottie/shower. This would be the way to go and you could even use a smaller trailer and get the same thing done. Open back door and install a screen room.

BufordT
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby Tear Dreamer » Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:09 am

I would go with a smaller trailer and larger windows. If anyone else finds more pictures, please post them or post the URL. Thanks!
Tear Dreamer
Teardrop Builder

Cargo trailer

Postby southpennrailroad » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:49 pm

:thinking: :thinking: My wife and I have spent lots of money on hotels in Harrisburg, Pa doing research on the South Pennsylvania Railroad and I got this idea last spring. I found a trailer dealer who is taking payments (what I can afford at anytime) without interest and if the price should increase (most likely) will not add the cost onto the quoted price. The trailer is not yet built and I will pick it up in Calleo Va. in July 2006. Here are my plans for the added extention to make it a 6x13 from a 6x10. cost 2,502 included is the taxes. Lowes has them for $2,995. not including the taxes and plates. He included the plate as well in the cost of my price. Lets see average summer price at hotel $75.00. Privat property owners giving me free of charge stay on their property. They appreciate what I have to offer them. Why is an unfinished railroad grade sitting in their back yards. Why wasn't it completed. Cost can't be beat when the fun is added up in designing the inside. Pictures will definetly be shown later. Check out my WWW. link below "I know I can do this."

Image 8)
Last edited by southpennrailroad on Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Long time researching the abandoned South Pennsylvania Railroad along the Pennsylvania Turnpike. God will guide me. As he has done so in the past. southpennrailroad.com
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby Endo » Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:23 am

This link may also give you some more ideas.

http://www.rallymastercampingpods.com/pages/2/index.htm
Brad (aka Endo)
ImageImage Image
In God We Trust
Endo
500 Club

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions