Taughannock Falls State Park

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Taughannock Falls State Park

Postby Tom&Shelly » Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:09 am

We haven't (yet) done a lot of traveling since arriving in Upstate NY. Taughannock Falls was a day trip, located just north of Ithaca on the west shore of Cayuga lake.

(Not to be confused with Taconic State Park or Lake Taghkanic State Park, both of which are near Albany. They are all pronounced the same and presumably were named after the same Indian chief, who kept changing the spelling, probably because he didn't understand the English alphabet, especially while the English--and their Iroquois allies--were attacking him.)

The park features a waterfall, which we saw at the wrong time of the day to get great pictures, so sorry about that

169721 169716 169715

The first picture was taken from a pull off on a road; the other two from a 3/4 mile (each way) hike in from the parking lot. The fall is about 215 feet tall, taller, I was once told, than Niagara, which is 325 feet; so don't believe everything you hear! (Or read, especially if it involves an Indian Chief named Taconic, or similar!)

If you're in the area, the parking is near the lake shore, and has a boat ramp, concession stand, and picnic tables. Although I'm not real good identifying New York flora and fauna, I believe these are baby dinosaurs (or their posterity)

169712 169710
169713 169711

I will say, to my knowledge, no one in this park has been gored by geese lately.

The park also features some even more ancient signs of life, if one looks closely

There is a campsite, which I can't comment on, since this was a day trip. If we someday lose our current accommodations, we might try it out.

The marina is in the park, and another state park marina is a few minutes down the road. Cayuga lake has lots of recreational boating. It's been at least 50 years, but the last time I was in the water it was COLD! Ithaca, a college town with international restaurant fare appropriate for such, is less than 15 minutes away. I'm told there are also many winery's in the area.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales