Watkins Glen State Park NY

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Watkins Glen State Park NY

Postby Tom&Shelly » Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:14 am

Same town as the auto race, but this is Watkins Glen gorge

169909 169911 169912
169915 169917

There was some trash in the gorge. We asked a ranger if they ever went in to clean it up and she said it was too dangerous. Instead they rely of the melting snow each spring to clean it out.

I'd last been here probably 55 years ago. I remember bringing a toy airplane along, that I lost over the side. I cried and cried! And, hey!...

Now who would dare walk over a stone bridge built by a subsidiary of Harbor Freight?

169914 169916

This is a day use only park. There are three entrances. We went in the one in Watkins Glen proper. From there, it is a mile and a half upstream (we've heard the altitude gain is about 7 stories). All of the falls are in the first mile. At the other end, one can ride a shuttle bus back for $6/person. Shelly did that, and I took another, flatter, path back. At the end of my trail, I had to climb stairs down almost all of the height difference. We arrived back at almost the same time.

Curious technical note on the photos. When we got back yesterday evening, and I was looking at my shots on the computer, I was very disappointed in the results. All looked washed out and slightly out of focus. Shelly took pictures on her phone that looked much nicer (though, of course, smaller). I experimented with some post processing and found the "sharpness" control really brought out the layers of rock, etc. Not sure why these particular photos needed the treatment more than others, but I may try this on other pictures I've taken for the past dozen years.

I recognize post processing actually adds something that isn't really there, and for art's sake not all pictures should be too sharp, but it seems to help my poor attempts at making decent pictures.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Re: Watkins Glen State Park NY

Postby Modstock » Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:02 pm

I probably would have gotten the toy airplane back.
That's just me. Amazing it's still there.
We're the pics taken with a camera or phone. Zoom on phones can lead to "grains or noise" .
Sometimes the middle of the day can lead to washed out pics. My last trip I went back to a waterfall before sunset and achieved much better pics. I also grabbed the wrong filter and wished to go back again.
I like those silky long-exposure waterfall pics.

Sent from my SM-A115AP using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Watkins Glen State Park NY

Postby Tom&Shelly » Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:36 pm

Modstock wrote:We're the pics taken with a camera or phone. Zoom on phones can lead to "grains or noise" .
Sometimes the middle of the day can lead to washed out pics. My last trip I went back to a waterfall before sunset and achieved much better pics. I also grabbed the wrong filter and wished to go back again.
I like those silky long-exposure waterfall pics.

Sent from my SM-A115AP using Tapatalk

Thank you!

I took the photos with my Canon D60. If I were a serious photographer I'd be sure to get the pictures early or late in the day. (In general, maybe not in deep canyons like this.) As it is, the photographs are secondary to Shelly and I seeing and enjoying places. Still, I toy with the idea of printing the better ones and making some barn-wood frames, and seeing if they would sell at a flea market somewhere.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales