Little Guy goes to Mammoth Cave

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Little Guy goes to Mammoth Cave

Postby bmg5 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:30 pm

Hi all, we took our maiden voyage to Mammoth cave at the end of march. After getting the trailer in January we couldn't wait any longer so the boys and I decided we would take a spring break trip to mammoth cave. We started out from Michigan on Wednesday and took the 7 hour drive down to Yogi bear in Cave City KY. First couple of pics are of an old school hot dog and root beer stand north of Indy. This place was great and a big hit with the boys. We made it down to KY at about 4pm and setup camp... which takes about 10 minutes in the LG ;-) Next day we went to do the "new entrance tour" at mammoth cave np. This was a great tour, 3/4 mile 2 hour walk was perfect for the kids and easy on everyone. After that I took them for their first horseback ride, was a great time.

Spent the second day at a place called "Kentucky Down Under". This was a great place for kids and really worth the time (and $$). Lots of Australian exhibits and animals Kangaroos, Wallabies, herding dogs, sheep, unique birds, etc. as well as a nice cave tour and some other stuff. Spent the night back at Jellystone, was a bit rainy the boys and I stayed in the LG and had movie night. Combine the central stereo and laptop and you can put on a pretty good show. We had a really nice time. By the morning of day 3 my back hurt so bad from the LG standard mattress I could barely walk. Went to Walmart and got a 4" memory foam mattress and it was like sleeping at home. Maybe the best $150 I ever spent!!!

Drove home the 3rd day back to Michigan. Right before I left I picked up a new Garmin Nuvi 660 GPS, amazing accuracy and the points of interest are so helpful, finally I can eat where I want instead of whatever is at the next exit. Used it over and over again. From 200 miles away it predicted my arrival time within 5 minutes of actual... amazing.

Overall great time with just the boys, would do it again in a minute, just wish it was warmer. Element pulling the LG was great, cost me about 2 miles per gallon and I didn't even feel it back there. If you are considering Mammoth drop me a line and I will give you more info and pics.

Take care, bg

Last edited by bmg5 on Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
bg in West Michigan - LG 6-wide
bmg5
Teardrop Builder

Postby hiker chick » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:36 am

Great pics! And sounds like an excellent adventure for your kids.

Glad the LG worked out for you. This will be my first full year with my 6'-wide and I can hardly wait.

Question: where did you get that box on your platform? How big is it?

I've been looking for one for months that would fit the shallow 16" space (72" wide).
Hot Stuff Today, Dog Stuff Tomorrow

www.thegidg.com
hiker chick
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:36 am

:applause: :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing! Looks like a great place for kids. Bet they enjoyed the camping too. :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby toypusher » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:39 am

hiker chick wrote:Great pics! And sounds like an excellent adventure for your kids.

Glad the LG worked out for you. This will be my first full year with my 6'-wide and I can hardly wait.

Question: where did you get that box on your platform? How big is it?

I've been looking for one for months that would fit the shallow 16" space (72" wide).

Have you looked at the toolboxes in Lowes and HD?? Also, check out TSC for toolboxes, etc.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby bmg5 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:07 am

Hi HC,
I got this one off ebay, it is 36x14 and is perfect for 2 batteries, charger, extension cords and fire extinguisher. I thought about going with a 72" box but I need to get kids bikes on there as well so I had to go smaller. All in all pretty happy with the box, mounted quick and has a lock.

Thanks bg
bg in West Michigan - LG 6-wide
bmg5
Teardrop Builder

Postby clkelley564 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:22 am

That looked like a fun weekend!!
Carol
MOUSE-KE-T@B
2007 ClamShell #2741
2009 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4.8 V8
http://mouseketab.blogspot.com/ Updated 07/12/2011

http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/album_ ... c_id=13203