Communications options in Yellowstone National Park....

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Communications options in Yellowstone National Park....

Postby kayakrguy » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:42 pm

Hi folks,

Deus Voluntas, we hope to be in Yellowstone NP for two weeks in July.
I emailed to the Yellowstone staff about WiFi, Internet Cafe and cellular access--my wife's parents have some health issues that could require us to get her home quickly, while I brought the T back

I thought I would share what I found out with you so that if you are thinking about a Yellowstone trip and need access you can put this in a file....

As of now there is no WiFi or Internet Cafe access in the park. There is
dial up access in some lodges' rooms, provided your ISP has a local access number.

Also, some lodges provide internet access at their desk (check-in desk?) I am not sure what this means.....

Cell phone coverage: here is what NSP says, 'there are several areas with strong cell phone coverage: Mammoth Hot Springs, the West Entrance, Old Faithful, Grant Village, Hayden Valley, and Canyon Village. Other areas with moderate to weak cell phone coverage include Lake Village, Tower Fall, and the Lamar Valley. Coverage in these latter areas is sporadic, but possible'.......a separate email said that Verizon had the best coverage in the park....

If worse comes to worst and none of the above work, a phone card and a land line phone would be the next bet...or you could get an cell modem for your computer-they work on your USB port....

NPS staff did say that WiFi/Internet cafes are available in communities adjacent to the park.....but drive times in busy season can be long...

Ciao,

Jim
A disposition to preserve, and an ability to improve, taken together, would be my standard of a statesman...

But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Re: Communications options in Yellowstone National Park....

Postby Hinermad » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:31 pm

kayakrguy wrote:Also, some lodges provide internet access at their desk (check-in desk?) I am not sure what this means.....

Jim,

Sometimes motels will have a computer, printer, and fax machine set up on a desk near the lobby for guests to use. These are often generously called the "business center."
If worse comes to worst and none of the above work, a phone card and a land line phone would be the next bet...or you could get an cell modem for your computer-they work on your USB port....

Except a cell modem needs cellular coverage, just like a cell phone would. No bars, no modem connection.

If you have a cell phone with text message capability, I'd suggest your family send you a text message in an emergency as well as try to reach you by voice. If your phone is off or out of coverage the network will hold onto it and deliver it when the phone becoms accessible again.

I believe most US cell networks have ways to deliver an email to a phone as a text message. With Verizon, for example, you can send an email to <phone #>@vtext.com and it wil get forwarded to the phone. Or, you can just go to http://www.vtext.com and enter the phone number and message.

If you're going to take a cell phone, turn it off if you have no coverage otherwise it'll drain the battery in a matter of hours. Turn it on every now and then to see if you have any signal bars, and if you do wait a few minutes to see if you get any text messages or voice mail notifications, or check in with the family.

In extreme cases, a satellite phone works pretty much anywhere but you'll pay through the nose for it.

Dave
Behind every successful man is a woman who wants a teardrop camper.
Hinermad
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales