Mt. Rushmore

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Mt. Rushmore

Postby greg755 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:16 pm

I will be planning a trip for this summer to Mt. Rushmore. It will probably be a long trip, so I figure I will not only need to find a nice place to visit/camp around Mt. Rushmore but I will need a good camp ground to visit in Northern Ohio and Central Indiana.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Does AAA have a listing of camp grounds with hook ups? Is there an RV site that helps with planning trips?
Thanks
Greg
"It is a cruel thought, that, when we feel ourselves standing on the firmest ground in every respect, the cursed arts of our secret enemies, combining with other causes, should effect, by depreciating our money, what the open arms of a powerful enemy could not." --Thomas Jefferson to Richard Henry Lee, 1779. ME 4:298, Papers 2:298
greg755
Grand Poobah

Postby boomboomtulum » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:37 pm

Good question
We have planned a trip to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons from Calif. this summer. What I do to plan a trip is use Yahoo maps. Plan the route you want to take then break it into whatever miles you are good with driving, with us were good for 250 -300. Pick the cities where your mile limit falls and do a search for Campgrouds or RV parks in that city. Check rates look at the park Etc. I have never been much on KOA's untill this last summer and now we will stay at those if possable kind of like staying at a Best Western Motel you always know what you'll get. You can always change plans if you dont make reservations, but if you plan to be at one area for more than 2-3 days reservations are probably good especially in the summer. Just my thoughts.

Dave
http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/album_ ... c_id=37109

Have'nt been everywhere yet, but it's on my list.
boomboomtulum
Teardrop Master

Postby hotrod » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:07 pm

Always ask for price and availibility, if your going to be out there around the sturgis rally your will pay. I cant remember what the rally dates are...
Paul
Some people are like slinkys.. not much good for anything but they still make you smile when you push them down the stairs....
hotrod
TILT
TILT

Re: Mt. Rushmore

Postby Endo » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:30 pm

greg755 wrote: I will need a good camp ground to visit in Northern Ohio and Central Indiana.

Greg

This RV resort in Ohio was ranked as one of the best in the country by Good Sam. You will need a reservation, it fills up often.

http://evergreenrv.cc/index.php?option= ... e&Itemid=1

The sites are nothing spectacular (blacktop not many mature trees) but the shower, pool and facilities are by far the best I have seen!

The indoor pool/hot tub is great. The roof retracts on nice days. The showers are unreal.
Each shower has its own private dressing area with a sink and mirror. The laundry room has a huge flat screen TV with cable.
It even has a game room/gym area and a nice store.

The local Amish bring fresh baked goods to the campground on the weekends.

Have a great trip! We hope to plan a trip to Mt. Rushmore in the next year as well.
Brad (aka Endo)
ImageImage Image
In God We Trust
Endo
500 Club

Postby Creamcracker » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:03 pm

greg755 wrote:I will be planning a trip for this summer to Mt. Rushmore. It will probably be a long trip, so I figure I will not only need to find a nice place to visit/camp around Mt. Rushmore but I will need a good camp ground to visit in Northern Ohio and Central Indiana.

Does AAA have a listing of camp grounds with hook ups? Is there an RV site that helps with planning trips?
Thanks
Greg

I know this site just off I80/90 -- Indiana Toll Road in Northern Indiana. It places you strategically close to Shipshewana, IN a must visit place in the heart of Amish Country and not far from the RV capital of the world - Elkhart, IN (Trailer Hall of Fame Museum) -- lots of RV salvage places nearby especially Bontragers in White Pigeon, MI. When at Howe visit the Historic Chapel of St. James on the Campus of Howe Military School...you'll be amazed at the place and its story....
Philip
http://www.twinmills.net/index.html
Image Image
3rd Annual Out of Control Shop Winner :)
Creamcracker
Teardrop Graduate

Postby Nitetimes » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:08 pm

greg755 wrote:I will be planning a trip for this summer to Mt. Rushmore. It will probably be a long trip, so I figure I will not only need to find a nice place to visit/camp around Mt. Rushmore but I will need a good camp ground to visit in Northern Ohio and Central Indiana.

Thanks
Greg

There's a spot in my back yard if you need a place to stay on your way thru. Not too far from Ohio.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:30 am

Yes, I believe they do have books. I got a campsite book from them for the CA area a couple years ago. They used to do "Trip Tics", where they planned the whole route for you, but I don't know if they still do that. You could call them and find out what they offer.

Northern Ohio is a lot of territory. What part of Northern Ohio are you going to or are you going the whole width of it?
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Sonetpro » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:43 am

We went the summer before last. On our way to the ITG. We stayed at Custer State park ,Game lodge campground. It is real close to the wildlife loop and 20 minutes from Mt Rushmore and Crazy Horse.
If you are going this summer make your reservations now. If you wait until you go they will be full when you get there.
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby Jst83 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:17 am

greg755 wrote:I will need a good camp ground to visit in Northern Ohio and Central Indiana.

Thanks
Greg

Hello Greg, There's a thread in the midwest section with a link to all the state campgrounds in Indiana. If you find one that intresets you I'm sure one of our Hoosier Tear Droppers has visited it at some point and would be more than willing to help.
What route will you be taking through Indiana? and do you know the dates you'll be passing through? We've got a couple good gatherings planned you might be able to work in.

Have fun on your trip and remeber lots of pics.
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Custer, SD

Postby dreadcptflint » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:50 am

We stayed at Bedrock City. :oops: http://www.flintstonesbedrockcity.com/

a few years ago. I always wanted to and so we managed to catch it the last weekend that it was open. It put us pretty darn close to Rushmore. There is a map on their site for the attractions.
The quickest way to find me is on my business site. Yes, I do answer questions and provide quotes for free. Find me at: http://www.wenatcheefarmers.com
dreadcptflint
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby ERV » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:42 pm

Hi Greg, We have that trip on our list too. Just got our tear this year. If we are on your route, we have a nice back yard you can use. Shade, gas grill, elect. hookup, and a fire ring. let us know would love to have ya stop in. Erv and Jan
ERV & JAN
Medina, Ohio
ERV
Silver Donating Member

Postby iplay10us2 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:15 pm

Weird! I was just looking at campgrounds in the area this morning for Mount Rushmore! I certainly don't want to go during the Sturgis motorcycle rally, though. I was thinking of a late spring/early summer trip, but it also might a "next year" trip.

Glad to have this forum for info on campgrounds.

susann
Susann
iplay10us2
Silver Donating Member

Sturgis Biker Rally dates

Postby Gunnerp245 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:37 am

Rally dates for the next 10 years

http://www.rallyinfo.com/ricountdown.htm

Gunner...
Gunnerp245
Teardrop Inspector

Postby greg755 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:54 pm

Thanks for all the Info so far...

I am thinking of going up there in the middle of August on my wife and daughters birthday (yes they share the same birth day, my wife said I never gave her anything good for her birthday, so I started counting backwards... but that's another story)

I didn't even think about the Sturgis Rally.. Thanks for the update on that.

The other possible choice is in July (Around the 4th) if I can get the time from work..

Do they have any fireworks going on up there on the 4th?

Keep the ideas and places of interest coming, lots of good stuff, I will try to incorporate a lot of these places and idea's into our trip.

Thanks to all.
Greg
"It is a cruel thought, that, when we feel ourselves standing on the firmest ground in every respect, the cursed arts of our secret enemies, combining with other causes, should effect, by depreciating our money, what the open arms of a powerful enemy could not." --Thomas Jefferson to Richard Henry Lee, 1779. ME 4:298, Papers 2:298
greg755
Grand Poobah

Postby Dark Horse » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:53 am

Mt Rushmore has some very good fireworks done so they look like they are over the monument. The locals sit on the hill side facing the monument from the turn off to keystone. get there early Parking at the Monument was $8 last time we were there
Lead has a great display usually done on a different night , in the gold mine pit - Sit across from the mine on the hillside over the carnival with all the locals.
Rapid Citys Display is good as well
From the Black Hills the badlands are a short drive about an hour if I remember correctly as is Devils Tower Both worth a look. Badlands in the summer get HOT.
Custer State park is very nice. we saw the most animals in the early morning, just after sunrise.
Reptile gardens and bear country USA both tourist traps that we stop in every time we go.
Spearfish canyon is enjoyable the falls are nice and worth a picture or 12.
If you like trout, a non res fishing license is relatively inexpensive for a 1 day or a week long one. Lake Pactola, north end of the Dam there is a parking area anywhere along the point with your back to the dam is good
Link to black Hills Map
http://home.nps.gov/moru/planyourvisit/ ... %20Map.jpg
I like anything that turns money into noise.
Dark Horse
Teardrop Master

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales