Rainjer's IRG 2.0 Family Vacation (long post) Updated 9/2/08

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Rainjer's IRG 2.0 Family Vacation (long post) Updated 9/2/08

Postby rainjer » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:02 am

Back in January when Dean announced the dates for IRG 2.0 I wanted to attend. After a little while I convinced my wife that the entire family should attend. So as soon as registration started, I downloaded the form, filled it out & mailed it off. We then sat down and started planning it and making a buget.

At that time, gas was around $3.25 a gallon. I figured that gas would go up so I bugeted $4.00 a gallon for the trip. As the gas prices increased I had to re-adjust the buget. My final buget I used $5.00 a gallon for the gas estimate. Well the good new is we never paid that much for gas. The most we paid was $4.45 & the cheapest was $3.95 a gallon.

We then had to look at the sleeping arrangements. My trailer only sleep 2. There were going to be 4 of us traveling. My wife, 12 year old daughter, 8 year old son & myself. So after a short discussion it was decided my wife & daughter would sleep in the tent & my son & I would sleep in the teardrop. (And yes, this was my wife's idea.)

Next thing we did was look at the route we wanted to take. We had 3 places we wanted to include in the trip, the Oregon coast, IRG & Crater Lake. Everthing else was open to discussion. One other requirement was we did not want to be in the car all day long. We decided to break the trip into 3 segments. the trip down, IRG days & the return trip. Becase of work schedules we knew we could not leave until Sat., July 19th. That gave us 5 days to get to IRG and A week to get home if we wanted it. Below is the route we settled on.

Day 1 - We left home at 9:00 on Saturday an head to Seaside OR for our first nite on the road. We camped at a campground just south of Seaside, OR. We set up camp an went into town a played around for a while before heading back to camp for dinner & playing a few games with kids before bed.

Day 2 - We left Seaside and headed down the coast. We stopped at The Devil's Churn along the way & because the tide was out we were able to explore the tide pools. Ou next stop was the Oregon Coast Aquarium. After that we headed to our campground just south of Waldsport, OR. Our site was on a bluff right above the beach. We traveled a whole 120 miles on day 2.

Day 3 - This was another 120 mile day. We lef the campground ad headed South. We stopped at the Sea Lion Caves and the Oregon Dunes along the way. We sent the night at the Bandon KOA.

Day 4 - We left the Bandon KOA around 9:00 and drove all the way to the Eureka, CA KOA. (Dean was right, it is a dive) We stopped a few times along the way & The Tree's of Mystery. We decided we didn't have time to take the trail ath this time so we just visited the gift shop. After we arrived at the KOA we did laundry, cooked dinner & went grocery shopping to stock up for IRG.

Day 5 - We got up early, packed up & headed up to IRG. We arrived at the gate around 9:00 AM. To our surprise, there was around 40 trailer already there. We found a place to camp, set up the trailer & tent and then spent the rest of the day visiting & relaxing.

Day 6 - We left IRG for a little day trip. We head a little farther south an drove the entire Ave. of the Giants. It was a wonderful drive.

Day 7-8 - We just hung out at IRG and had lots of fun.

Day 9 - This was the last day at IRG. We had thought about staying over until Moday and leaving with the diehards but the kids had run out of clean cloths. We head out about 11:00 AM and headed north. This is where the tip got fun. We did not have any idea whre we were heading or where we were going to camp for the rest of the trip. We knew we wanted to go to Crater lake but that was it. We ended up stopping a the Tree's of Mystery again and this time we did the trail and the gondola ride. (BTW, I do noth like gondola's) We then head inland on to Grants Pass, OR. We ended up at the Gold Hill KOA because the had laundry facilities.

Day 10 - Today we had a little surprise for the kids. We took them to the House of Mystery http://www.oregonvortex.com/ They loved it. Next we headed south to Medford to stock up on food & ice again. We then headed to Crater Lake. After we set up camp & made dinner, we drove up to the rim village and watche the sunset.

Day 11 - Crater Lake. We drove the entire rim drive, did a couple short hikes & just had fun. That nigh we attend the Ranger program.

Day 12 - We headed north out of Crater lake to Hwy 97. Then we headed north again. We stopped at the Newburg Volcaninc monument and the Newburg Lava tube. We had hiked 3200 feet into the 5000 feet long tube when my son decided he need to go to the bathroom. So we made a quick exit to get back out to the bathroom. :lol: We then headed north again with the intent to camp at the KOA just north of Bend, OR. That is whe nthe kids decided they really just wanted to go home. So we looked at he map and figured we were about 5-6 hous from home. That change their mind. We did decide to get close to home so we could get home the next day. (1 day earlier that we had planned) We ended upo driving to Mary Hill State park on the Washington side of the Columbia river. That night we drove up to Godendale & visited the Goldendale Observatory for same star & planet watching. We also got to see the International Space Station go over. We got back to cap late & everyone crashed.

Day 13 - We all slept in until 8:30. Time to head home after breakfast. We originally panned to drive along the Columbia river to I-5 and the head north. After looking at the map, we decide we would keep heading north to I-90 and make a side trip to Roslyn, WA (the town they filmed the TV show Northern Exposure) and to Salmon la Sac (A place my wife & I both camped when we were kids.) We stopped along the river in Salmon la Sac for a late lunch & to play in the river for a few minutes. We then head home. When we got 30 miles from home we saw a site we had not seen in 13 days, RAIN....

So after about 1900 miles we made it home. Every one had a great time. We had no problems with the car or trailer on the entire trip. The kids are already talking about attending the next IRG in 2010.

I would also like to thank Dean & Joanie for hosting IRG & to say how much we enjoyed seeing old friends & meeting new one's along the way. I don't think we could have had a better vacation if we tried.

You can view some of the pictures we took here:
http://rainjersplace.spaces.live.com/default.aspx

Jeremy & Family
Last edited by rainjer on Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby halfdome, Danny » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:06 am

Looks like a nice trip Jeremy. What beach was that where men are required to wear bikini tops? :lol: Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby rainjer » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:31 am

halfdome, Danny wrote:Looks like a nice trip Jeremy. What beach was that where men are required to wear bikini tops? :lol: Danny

That was in Seaside, OR. They had a Frisbee football tournament going on. The entire team of men & women had bikini tops on. We could not stop laughing when we saw it. I had to get a picture…. :lol: :lol:

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby apratt » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:52 am

Glad you had a great trip. Yea hwy 101 is a very nice trip to take if you are not in a hurry and hwy 97 takes you through some beautifull country. I have been on both routes a few times and loved it, but really I liked hwy 97. For some 97 can be boring long strecth of crountry, but I find it so peacefull. :)
Arthur,

ASL spoken here
apratt
Gold Donating Member

Postby cccamper » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:55 am

Hi!
Thanks for the trip!Makes me crazy to read of places I've not seen since I was a kid!

When we went to Crater Lake once there were bears all over. I've never forgotten this one bear. "Survival of the fittest" would have left him starving in the wild. He was frustrated one day, unable to get any food out of the big trash can across the street. Of course, he was SITTING on the lid and trying to pry the lid off with his paws. :lol:

Elizabeth AKA "e" . . . :relaxing:
Robert and Elizabeth - "e"
Guppy the Tiny Teardrop

"Naked people have little to no influence
on society." - - Mark Twain
cccamper
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Joanne » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:12 pm

Jeremy,

It was nice to get a chance to meet you in person. It sounds like you and your family will have memories that will last a lifetime. I hope we get to camp next to you guys again!

Joanne
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby 48Rob » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:07 pm

Jeremy,

Nice story, I enjoyed reading of your travels.

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby 4123 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:12 pm

Well....Dog-gone-it! You went right through Cave Junction without stopping to visit us??? Also, you missed the Oregon Caves National Monument! Having been to all the places that you mentioned, I've got to say that the Oregon Caves out does them all as far as natural beauty goes, except for Crater Lake National Park. We were also at the IRG. Did we meet you? Ron & Olga (in the Camp-Inn w/side tent)
~~~Ron & Olga Christianson~~~
http://www.museumphones.com
"Consider It ALL entertainment"
ImageImageImage
The 300 Club

Postby rainjer » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:56 pm

4123 wrote:Well....Dog-gone-it! You went right through Cave Junction without stopping to visit us??? Also, you missed the Oregon Caves National Monument! Having been to all the places that you mentioned, I've got to say that the Oregon Caves out does them all as far as natural beauty goes, except for Crater Lake National Park. We were also at the IRG. Did we meet you? Ron & Olga (in the Camp-Inn w/side tent)

I spoke with you as you were leaving on the road by the meadow. My son was the red headed boy with the Lego teardop racer. I think you were at the Tree's of Mystery when we stopped Sunday.

We really wanted to go to Oregon Caves but by the time we left IRG & got out of Trees of Mystery it was 4:00 or 5:00 PM by the time we got to Cave Junction. We needed to get to the Medford area that night. (We needed to do laundry at the campground) We got to the KOA around 7:00 PM.
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:54 pm

Thanks for sharing your trip with us. You have a great collection of pictures and I enjoyed everyone. Some day :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby rainjer » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:48 pm

Miriam C. wrote:Thanks for sharing your trip with us. You have a great collection of pictures and I enjoyed everyone. Some day :thumbsup:

I still have 300-400 more to upload. MSN says I have met my monthly limit. I will upload more later.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby rainjer » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:57 pm

I have added the rest of my IRG photos. There a 728 total for your viewing.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby Dragonryder » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:34 pm

I know that I'm late to this but I just reviewed all 700 plus pictures and I have to say that that looked like an awesome trip. Thank you so much for sharing it.
Have a great day and hoping the weather is great no matter where you are!!!

Signed, Me
Dragonryder
Teardrop Master

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales