NJ State Parks Pet Friendly Camping Pilot Program

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Postby trailtrekerNJ » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:35 pm

This summer the New Jersey State Park Service is launching a pilot program to allow campers to bring their pets to select campgrounds in three state parks and forests. No additional fees will be charged to utilize a pet friendly campsite for the duration of this pilot program.

The success of the pilot program will be gauged by evaluating pet-owner compliance with the guidelines; gathering input from all campers; and observations of park staff and officials.

Designated Pet Friendly Campsites:
Effective June 1, 2009 through December 31, 2009

Brendan T. Byrne State Forest:
Parvin State Park:
Wharton State Forest: Family campsites 17-32 inclusive
Family campsites 45-56 inclusive
Batona Camp, Goshen Pond Camp, Hawkin Bridge Camp and Lower Forge Camp

Guidelines for Camping with Your Pets
Responsible ownership is the key!

What to know before you go.
Pet friendly camping is limited to domestic dogs and cats, with a maximum of two pets per camping permit.
Permittees need to fill out a Pet Registration and Certification form during the check-in process which will be retained in the area files.
Dogs and cats must have current rabies vaccinations. Written proof of the pet’s current rabies/distemper vaccine and license (if a license is required by the resident’s State) must be provided during the check-in process.
Caged pets (birds, reptiles or amphibians) are permitted within the confines of a camping recreational vehicle (trailer or motor home).

Pets are prohibited from all buildings, swimming beaches and swimming waters, non-designated pet friendly campsites and overnight facilities.
Park or forest staff will advise patrons what sites may have pets.

Your pet’s behavior is your responsibility.
Pets must be kept on a leash six (6) feet or less in length and under physical control of its handler at all times.

Pets shall not be left unattended on the campsite, except when the permittee is using a restroom or visiting a park building for a brief period of time. When doing so, the pet must be kept in a camping unit or vehicle, weather conditions permitting.
The permittee is responsible for their pet’s behavior. Barking or other excessive pet noise that is unduly annoying to others must be controlled. The designated campground quiet hours between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m. is expected to be observed by all visitors.
Any injuries must be immediately reported to the State Park Police or to the 24-hour DEP HOTLINE at (877) 927-6337.
Local animal control officers will be contacted to address pets suspected of being abandoned or neglected. The permittee is responsible for any costs associated with animal control services.

Clean up after your pet.
The permittee is responsible for immediate and sanitary disposal of the pet’s waste.
Pet food must not remain outside of a camping unit or vehicle because it will attract wildlife.
Pet washing at potable water sources or natural waterways (i.e. lakes, rivers, streams) is prohibited.

Violators of these guidelines are subject to permit revocation and eviction from the premises.
trailtrekerNJ
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:02 pm

:lol: Don't ya'll have a bear problem? :roll:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby hiker chick » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:15 pm

Well, that's a step in the right direction. A baby step. Good for New Jersey dog owners. Too bad they've suffered the prohibition for so long.

Rather than a pilot program they could've just called the myriad successful pet-friendly park systems. Such as Virginia's, where dogs are even allowed to stay in the cabins ($10/night per dog). Or New York state.

Or Shenandoah National Park, Acadia National Park and, far as I know, all the national parks (which allow dogs in campgrounds but usually not on the trails - Shenandoah and Acadia being notably dog-friendly exceptions). Shenandoah NP started dog-friendly rooms at Skyland Lodge last year and have initiated dog-friendly rooms at Big Meadows Lodge this year ($25/night per dog plus nonrefundable cleaning fee).

A welcome trend.

Pennsylvania and Maryland have been off my camp list since they were dog-hostile in the 1990s, though they are partially dog-friendly now. I wrote both states back then to let them know that I would not be camping in between dog-friendly Virginia and dog-friendly New York.

New York is dog-friendly as is West Virginia (long friendly in campgrounds, they recently began letting dogs in select cabins, too). Oregon just launched a program to make some of their yurts and cabins dog-friendly. The campgrounds always have been.

I've never understood this bias toward dogs that some states have exhibited in their camping policies. Outdoor peops tent to be dog peops.

I camp a lot (50 nights last year) and have never, ever been compelled to complain about a dog.

The two-legged noisemakers are the biggest problem in campgrounds.

Nor are dogs likely to trash the bathrooms and showers.

Anyway, thanks for posting this information. I would not feel safe camping without Gidget, nor do I care to camp without her.

:D
Last edited by hiker chick on Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hot Stuff Today, Dog Stuff Tomorrow

www.thegidg.com
hiker chick
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby hiker chick » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:21 pm

This pics is from our camping trip last weekend in Shenandoah National Park. Gidget's seen dozens of bears, and vice versa. Including mamas with cubs. We've encountered them while hiking and in the campground.

After the first time, Gidget pays no attention to bears. And bears, including Mama, have never indicated any interest in Gidget.

These three below are Mama and her two yearlings. They hang out near the campground. Fawns have suffered, they are reportedly quite yummy to this Mama Bear and her babes.

Hot Stuff Today, Dog Stuff Tomorrow

www.thegidg.com
hiker chick
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Arne » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:56 pm

never understood the pet ban... they probably had a few problems, so overreacted and just banned them all.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:07 pm

Ditto what Hiker Chick and Arne wrote.

Thanks for letting us all know.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Beachbuggy » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:06 pm

That is sad that they were not allowing pets, makes camping a real bummer and more people less likely to camp, especially if they still have to make arrangements for their pets to be cared for.

We have snuck our dog in the bathrooms a few times, :whistle: and it would be nice to be able to give him a quick shower 8)
Beachbuggy
Teardrop Master

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales