Trip to Black Rock Desert, Nevada

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Trip to Black Rock Desert, Nevada

Postby 1912 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:30 am

We took the tear down to the Black Rock Desert, Nevada recently. This is only four hours from our home in Oregon. The main feature of this desert is the playa, the dry lake bed. The playa is the consistency of flour, so a drive across the it is very dusty. Was good the doors have good seals. We visited a few hot springs, one cool enough to get in. Nice soak. There were no other tears there, but about 250 in various campers, tents and tiny trailers were there. This is a wilderness area, leave no trace, so it is very isolated. Nice black sky with big stars. We 4 wheeled and hiked to some even more isolated places, and saw petroglyphs, ancient rock symbols written by ancient men, from when the lake had water in it. This was one of our first trips to the desert and it was a good one. The tear was at home here, and we had a good time.[/img]
Last edited by 1912 on Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark

CampInn #214
Subaru Forester
Eddyline kayaks
Specialized bicycles

\^/
/_\
Teardrop Advisor

Postby High Desert » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:52 am

Sounds like a great trip! It really is an interesting area to explore. You chose a good time of year to go too, temps are moderate right now. Gets a little warm out there by July. Too bad there is never a time when the wind isn't blowing lol.
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Postby robfisher » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:16 pm

Is that the same place they do Burning Man? I've had that on my list of things to do for several years. Maybe this year I'll actually make it.
robfisher
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby High Desert » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:25 am

robfisher wrote:Is that the same place they do Burning Man? I've had that on my list of things to do for several years. Maybe this year I'll actually make it.

yes sir, the same spot. By their pics the camping areas are on the edges. They do BM right out in the middle of the playa lake bed. A tad dusty to say the least :lol:
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales