Flaming Gorge TT Inaugural Trip

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Flaming Gorge TT Inaugural Trip

Postby Engineer Guy » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:57 pm

As we sometimes do, my Avatar and I decided on lil separate 'Vacations'. She went to the Theatre in SF to see a Gal Pal'z Daughter do the Wigs in a Play. I took the Pooch from our W. CO place north to N.E. UT and the 'Flaming Gorge' area [USNF]. This was the 'shakedown' trip for our used ~15' 1989 Play-Mor TT. Travel Notes & Pix are first; TT 'Tech' Notes are at the end.

From South of Grand Junction CO, we headed West to Loma, and north on Highway 139 just this side of the UT State Line. The climb up Douglas Pass was memorable; what an unbelievable grade. Mud flow in one steep area had crossed the Road, but had been Bulldozed through and dried. At the ~8,250' summit, a County Road went East. ~1/2 mile up, a 2 track path climbed to a Microwave Tower. I walked it to ensure our low-slung, rear-Plumbing TT would make it. In the heat, the breeze and evening at the top was Heaven! Only the growing Fire in AZ affected the endless view. Fortunately, the Pooch was on a Leash when I opened the TT Door at dusk only to have 3 Deer 'stare us down' as we invaded their turf.

The next day, it was down through Ranches laced with Oil/Gas Wells to Rangely CO, and up to Dinosaur CO. After checking out Maps and Info at the Vernal UT Visitor's Center to the West, it was North to Flaming Gorge up another amazing grade w/12 switchbacks.

As the Road cut through dramatic Formations, Signs pointed out facts like 'Ancient Squid Lived Here', and so on. The reward after that challenging, Gas-guzzling climb was to reach Flaming Gorge Dam and the ~80 mile long Reservoir. Of 'Cedar Springs' and 'Deer Park' Campgrounds, I set up at Utility-free Cedar Springs with a Water view just up from the Marina. 3rd Party Vendors run the $20-/night Campgrounds, and a separate $5-/day USNF Fee is req'd. Water, Hot Showers, spotless Pit Toilets and Septic Dump up the Road provided the value. A super Campground Host gave me a dual-Feed Dish Network Dish he couldn't use. It will be used at our CO Mountain House as an upgrade.

I bent the Ears of a super couple from MI when I saw their Cargo Trailer conversion, but I'll let them weigh in separately. They, too, have learned a lot on this Forum.

An amazing Campground nearby on Highway 191 was 'Firefighter's Memorial Campground'. Very new, with ~50 Spaces and stunning views like this from a safe, developed View Point:

A less-interesting Campground with Boat Launching is North near the WY State Line:

Up in windy WY, I did some 4 Wheeling along Power Line Easements, and cut dead Cedar legally for Campfires.

The Trip focus was to see the 'Sheep Creek Geological Loop'; a 'horseshoe' Road ~6 miles South of Manila UT. Here's a view shot over Sheep Creek Bay on the 28 mile drive down to Manila:

I set up Creekside in front of Navajo Rock at the $10-/night Campground ~1/2 mile off the Highway. There were 2 of us and the off-Grid Host, so the treed, peaceful spot was a super 3 day Base Camp. Prior Recon had mentioned a Campsite at 'Palisade' on this loop. Another source mentioned that Campsite was closed from drownings in a Flash Flood 'a few years ago'. It turns out that a SLC Family and 2 Nephews all drowned in 1965, and near Navajo Rock was the sole Campground remaining, safe from such flooding. Campground Rocks had Fossils in them, and some nice folks left a week of Firewood.

The Creekside Road cuts through uplift that encompasses millions of years of Geology in ~14 miles. Alpine Forest is also accessible.

VERY careful positioning of my Cellphone in Speakerphone mode allowed connecting to the Verizon Tower outside Manila to keep in touch with my Avatar.

One humorous sight was to cross into WY ~6 miles outside Manila. In an instant, the Road widens and pavement improves. ~30' across the Border, a Bar and Restaurant welcomes Fishermen and Travelers to Wild West WY!

After dumping TT Tanks back up in Cedar Springs Campground, it was down into Vernal UT and Dinosaur CO.

A right turn into the County Park above was uneventful. The straight line exit across Highway 40 while trying to avoid death-by-Semi Trucks bottomed out the Black Water Tank on a little dip, and cracked the Plumbing clean off the Tank. D'oh! A stop in back in Grand Junction at a Shop indicated the ABS can be 'welded' back together for $30-. I guess a pal and I will speed up our prior plans to flip our TT Axles for clearance, and install plates across the rear Plumbing. Had I installed the planned TT Bumper Receiver and Bike Carrier, it would have been one pricy, Frame-bending mess had those items bottomed out, too. I already had repaired a Black Water Fitting leak where the prior Owner bottomed out, so live and learn...

TT Tech Random Notes

'Heng's Roof Seal' appeared to dry solid and do a good job of sealing Roof Trim edging on the Membrane Roof.

Cleaning all Light connections fixed all outages. A left turn Filament outage was traced to corroded Brass on a Galvanized Rivet in the Bargman Light. The right Light Cover had to be razored open; the Eternabond Tape had held that tight since '89. Impressive.

I barely dented a 30 lb. Propane Bottle supply in Fridge and Stovetop operation. After reading here and on another Forum, this cautious person decided to run the Fridge on Propane while moving [but not in Gas Stations]. The older Interstate Deep Cycle/RV Battery I had around did fine running Lights when charged off the SUV every few days.

A scrap of IR-reflecting 'Astrofoil' under the Sheet made for comfy sleeping in ambient temps that bottomed out at 32 F several mornings. Small TT volume allowed the Stovetop to heat things fine while making Coffee. Of course, we've got a Smoke/CO Detector active.

Fortunately, we checked the new, covered Spare Tire during pre-Flight Inspection. None of the many Keys given me opened the Spare Tire Lock! We had it cut off on Memorial Day Weekend Sunday at a Locksmith.

All were had by a good time...

Flaming Gorge Search Results
Last edited by Engineer Guy on Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Reality proceeds with or without your consensus~
Engineer Guy
The 300 Club

Postby mvperini » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:17 pm

thanks for the pictures, sounds like you had a great time even with some of the trailer problems

Mike

1947 Kenskill teardrop kamper 4X10>
1951 Boles Areo 16ft Canned Ham>
1956 Roadmaster 20ft> Restored
1959 airstream 18ft restoration complete
1953 Pontiac house car
mvperini
500 Club

Postby eaglesdare » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:10 am

stunning scenery. it sounds like a great time overall. thanks for sharing.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby Ratkity » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:58 am

Wonderful trip descriptions!! Thank you for the great photos.

Hugs,
Ratkityb
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby TheBizMan » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:32 pm

Yep, I'll have to go there sometime.
Lee - TheBizMan sez
Teardrops make for happy camping
ImageImage
TheBizMan
Gold Donating Member

Postby TENNJIM » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:11 pm

Glad you enjoyed the Gorge area. I have camped and fished there many times. It is a favorite Utah place. Wishing you more Utah adventures as the mountain country has kept me living here for 39 years and enjoying it.
8)
Jim B / Utah
Most People Seem Normal Until You Really Get To Know Them!
Never mind what people say, I think those Saguaros are shooting us the finger!
72.68% Of All Statistics Are Made Up!
TENNJIM
Palladium Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:51 pm

Great pictures! Looks like you had a great trip!
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Big Ones

Postby Engineer Guy » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:40 pm

I'll definitely head back to the area. Lots more to discover ~6 hours from our W. CO House. My TT Partner-in-Crime w/a similar 15' Fleetwood wants to head up with me/us and stay at the stunning 'Firefighter's Memorial Campground' near the Dam.

Recon info from the Campground Host sent me nearby to 'The Fly Shop' in Dutch John UT for a decent Burger and hilarious conversation w/a Waitress. I wouldn't mind snagging one of these Bad Boys, as displayed in the Shop:

It struck my funny bone that Guitarist Eric Clapton had stopped by and left this Autographed pic in such a remote area. I'd guess he had some time on the Tour Bus to get from Denver to SLC.

Last edited by Engineer Guy on Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Reality proceeds with or without your consensus~
Engineer Guy
The 300 Club

Postby Blumie » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:18 pm

We had the pleasure of going through Flaming Gorge once, but didn't see half as much as in your great photos! We approached from NW, coming past the area where the original "mountain man" rendezvous took place, just up from the Gates of the Mountains on a tributary of the Green River. Very cool landscapes!
Blumie
Silver Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:43 pm

Thanks for taking us on your trip via narration and pictures.
...Nice! :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby goramsey » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:31 pm

Great. I have never been to that area. Now I have a good idea what it looks like. Great looking camping.
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ramseys-T ... 4019963253

Hunger makes a thief of any man. ~Pearl S. Buck
Food is an important part of a balanced diet.
Fran Lebowitz
http://www.ramseystravels.com/blog/
http://www.ramseystravels.com
goramsey
The 300 Club

Postby glwt06 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:55 pm

Hi Engineer Guy,

My wife and I were very glad to meet you on this trip. I'm glad you had a good outing. I'm looking through your post and I think we took the same pictures. Thanks again for the route advice and phone calls to Yellowstone.

Talk soon
glwt06
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales