Death Valley camping in July ??? lots of pic's

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Death Valley camping in July ??? lots of pic's

Postby Wolfgang92025 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:59 am

OK, so you might think I'm nuts.
After all who in their right mind would go camping in Death Valley in July when the temperature on a cool day reads 110 deg F. Well, we did, but here is a little secret. Death Valley is surrounded by mountains on all four sides with Telescope Peak topping out at 11049 ft (3368 m).
Close to Telescope Peak is our campground for the next few days. 9 sites, with only picnic tables, fire rings and an outhouse. If you did not bring it, you have to make due without. Nearest store is maybe 50 miles and 1.5 hour drive on way. Oh and bring your own water. None in camp. This is a very remote campground.
Left home bright and early Friday morning to miss traffic going up I-15 through Los Angels. Got to camp about 11 AM and got the last spot. Turned out this was very unusual. A UC Berkely extended biology study group had a campout for the weekend and took up 6 spots.

So here are the :pictures:

Road leading up towards camp

Few miles before camp are some charcoal kilns that were built in 1879 for use on the silver and lead mines smelter about 30 miles away.

To get here, the gravel road climbs about a 1000 ft in 1.3 miles.

Camp set up for the weekend. Note the dust on the trailer.

Local fauna

In the afternoon, took the dogs for a walk on a local service road (locked gate) to Rogers Peak. Never made it to the top, but I could see the micro wave relay station antennas. Only walked for about an hour, since I only took a 16 oz bottle of water with me and a thunder storm was brewing. In national parks dogs are not allowed on trails, so the road was the only option available.

Looking back towards camp from the road

Storm clouds building from camp looking to the west.

Had thunder and lighting all around us for about 2 hours, but got just enough rain in camp to make everything wet. Still looking west.

View to the east, with the light colored spot in the bottom of the valley being Bad Water Basin at 282 ft (86 m) below sea level. Lowest point in north America.

After the storm blew by, had a wonderful sun set

Next morning it was a little chilly for the wife while reading

Saturday I packed a proper day pack and took the dogs further up the service road.

In this picture you can see the road as it works its way up the mountain with Bad Water Basin down below.

My walking companions taking a well deserved break

This was the view from camp while having my cup of tea Sunday morning looking into the valley.

Raven just hanging out

Left camp about noon. Went home by a slightly different route and missed the washout that was caused by Friday afternoon thunderstorm. As for the temperatures, highs about 85 and low was around 62 for the weekend. Not many places were one can see cactus and pinion pines in the same place. It's a rough place to get to, but well worth the trip if you get the chance.
Wolfgang

Wolfgang92025
Lifetime member

Postby KenC » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:15 am

Thanks for sharing, looks like you had an nice trip
KenC
Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:10 am

When we lived in California Death Vally was one of our favorite winter camping spots. It is a place on earth that is unique with flora and fauna like no other place and exposes the bones of earths geology.
Thanks for the pictures. :thumbsup:
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby hiker chick » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:21 am

Spectacular photos and vistas - thank you!

:thumbsup:
Hot Stuff Today, Dog Stuff Tomorrow

www.thegidg.com
hiker chick
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:26 pm

Wolfgang,

Your trip tales and pictures are always well thought out and entertaining. Thanks so much for sharing. :applause:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Wolfgang92025 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:36 pm

S. Heisley wrote:Your trip tales and pictures are always well thought out and entertaining.

Sharon, I figure that for some folks on the forum, that is the only way to get a feel for what the American West can be like. So I try to show it in a way that others might enjoy. America is truly blessed with an immense and varied beauty. And I get to go camping in it. How lucky am I.... :applause: :applause: :applause:
Wolfgang

Wolfgang92025
Lifetime member

Postby High Desert » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:15 am

Thanks for the tour Wolfgang. Looks like a fantastic place, and noted for future wanderings :thumbsup:
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Postby goramsey » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:58 am

Great looking trip. I love Death Valley.

Here is a photo from Badwater looking up at you. I can see you waving now. Oh, except my shot is in the winter.

Last edited by goramsey on Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ramseys-T ... 4019963253

Hunger makes a thief of any man. ~Pearl S. Buck
Food is an important part of a balanced diet.
Fran Lebowitz
http://www.ramseystravels.com/blog/
http://www.ramseystravels.com
goramsey
The 300 Club

Postby eaglesdare » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:17 pm

i have a hard time believing you got cold there. you have some beautiful dogs. love the pics! thanks so much for sharing.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby bohemian » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:42 pm

Thanks Wolfgang
Once again you have me wanting for the west .
Great work with the pics.
Wayne

PS The trailer is still looking great. :thumbsup:
bohemian
Donating Member

Postby Wolfgang92025 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:33 pm

Ramsey,

Nice picture...... :thumbsup:

eaglesdare wrote:i have a hard time believing you got cold there. you have some beautiful dogs. love the pics! thanks so much for sharing.

Eagles,

The picture was take about 10AM. Candi was wearing shorts and a light top thinking we are in Death Valley and it will get hot. Well, it was maybe 70 and a light breeze. So if you just sit in the shade and not move around, it would feel cool. If you are in the sun, it was real nice and comfortable.
Our kids (mini Aussie shepherds) just had a hair cut for the summer do make them feel better in the heat were we live. When the picture was taken, we had been walking for about an hour in mostly full sun and it was pretty warm. Took a several water breaks for all 3 of us.

Bohemian,

I have only been to a couple of places on the east coast, so I know what you mean. One can spend there whole life wandering the US and still not see it all. And the trailer is holding up well, even tho we go off the beaten path at times. Got to have fun you know.
Wolfgang

Wolfgang92025
Lifetime member

Postby 2bits » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:29 pm

If I read right, it was 85 as a high right??? Well in Dallas where we have over 100 with humidity for two weeks straight and no end until Sept, Death Valley sounds pretty nice!!!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby eaglesdare » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:55 am

yeah i can understand that. i do remember being stationed in cuba. average temps were 95 and i remember it dropped during january one year. it dropped about 20 degrees to 70. everyone was rumaging thru their storage looking for parkas. quite funny actually.

i really really want to get out west. i just love the mountains you have out there.

did you see any snakes? are there big cats in that area? what about creepy crawlers? scorpions?
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby Wolfgang92025 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:19 pm

2bits,

Sounds like the heat in Dallas is just real bad right now. The temperature at camp really could not have been better. Nice and cool at night, and not real hot during the day.

Louella,

Big game at high elevation are big horn sheep according to the Ranger. So I guess that means some mountain lions are around. Only saw a coyote the dogs stirred up for about 3 seconds before we was gone under the trees. I'm sure they have snakes at lower elevation. Only critter in camp I heard about was a field mouse that was under someones tent. Did see a couple of hares and some ravens looking for handouts if the could get them. That was it. No biting bugs either.
Wolfgang

Wolfgang92025
Lifetime member

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales