Castle Crags

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Castle Crags

Postby Airspeed » Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:42 pm

I want to take my wife camping at Castle crags, I haven't been there in about twenty five years when I was working on the Pacific Crest Trail,anyway, Have any of you camped in the Castle Crags campground?
I am curious as to the type of campsites they have,I want to be somewhat secluded hate campsites that stick out in the open and have everyone crammed together.
I have looked at the web site and it doesn't show pics of to many of the spots and I would hate to make reservations and end up two feet away from the next camper!
Let me know if any of you have been there recently!
Thanks!!!! Aaron
Airspeed
500 Club

Postby Elumia » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:09 pm

are you talking here?
http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=454

I camped there last year. Nice park but.... it is close to Hiway 5 and you can hear the road noise. Also, there is a train that runs thru the valley. But is was very beautiful - I have some pics, but they are loaded on another puter.

Mark
Elumia
500 Club

Postby Airspeed » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:11 pm

That's the place,are the campsites private from each other or are they jammed together? I just hate camping out in the open,I like a little privacy. Thanks! Aaron
Airspeed
500 Club

Postby Elumia » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:20 pm

Pretty typical state park camping. Not too crowded, but not secluded either. on our trip we stayed 2 nights at Castle Crags, then went thru Mcloud up hwy 89 to Burney Falls (Pacific crest trail goes thru there too) and then thru lassen nat'l park. Castle Crag was my least favorite because of the HWY noise. You can make a nice hike down by the sac river. It is a valley with the river, Hwy 5 and the railroad going thru. I heard a few trains.

Burney falls was great, It was much more fun for the kids than the other as there is a lake, the waterfall and some cool hiking. The McCloud river area was much more secluded. there are campgrounds there, county I think, no fancy facilites (pit toilets) no reservations if I recall either, so I suspect lesss crowded. We didn't want to take a chance because it was 4th of July week when we went, so it was just a day trip on our way to Burney.

I didn't have any pictures of the campsite at Castle Crag, but we were not on top of people and it wasn't crowded - there were empty sites even on 4th of July week. We had a campsite with a creek running behind us.

It is an amazing area. Mt. Shasta is very cool.

Mark
Elumia
500 Club

Postby Airspeed » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:20 am

Thanks. I live pretty close to Burney Falls (about 14 miles from my house),My wife and I went down there last weekend and hiked the trail around the falls. We never get sick of it but the campground is allways packed and it is way to noisy. I worked on alot of the PC trail in and around BurneyFalls and all around FallRiver,Castle,MtShasta,Mcloud.
It was were I learned how to use explosives to blow up rocks. Way fun!
Aaron
Airspeed
500 Club

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales