Weekender's maiden voyage - Chiricahua National Monument

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Weekender's maiden voyage - Chiricahua National Monument

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:16 pm

Well, we finally got out to do some camping! Went about 200 miles Southeast of Phoenix to the pristine country of Chiricahua National Monument.

It took 4 hours to get there, but we managed to get there by 5:00, so the sun was still up. There are 22 campsites, and about half of these are designed to prevent use by RV or trailer. Specifically the parking areas are only about 14 ft deep, and just wide enough to accomodate one vehicle. The other half already had motorhomes, truck/campers, etc. in them. We made two laps around the campground, and finally found a corner site that had a rather steep parking angle. (site 12) We took it.

It was a challenge levelling the trailer, but I got her done. This put the galley nearly on the ground!

We had a great evening, but it was cold, and the park does not allow ground fires, so we went to bed at 8:00, read a while, and fell asleep. We were quite comfortable, even though the temperature dropped to 27º overnight. In the morning, one of the campsites vacated early, so we moved. Much better site! (site 10)

Gina fixed us a nice breakfast of sausage, hashbrowns, and scrambled eggs. The galley performed as expected! Note the boulder planted to prevent backing too far into the campsite!

We finally got out to to some hiking, so we headed up to Massai Point. Unfortunately, we had our dogs with us, and the Massai Point trail doesn't allow dogs. Still we got a great view of Cochise Head.

Chiricahua is the site of an ancient volcano (somebody who must have been there said it happened 27 million years ago). The site is marked by thousands of giant basalt pillars, some of which look like they could topple any minute!

We were able to hike Sugarloaf. The dogs loved it!

We even encountered a dreaded cave dog

We didn't encounter any local fauna (other than the occasional squirrel), but we did see lots of coyote scat (scat is tree-hugger for poop)

The sky was clear as I've seen it in years! It seems like you can see Argentina from the top of Sugarloaf!

All in all, the weekender performed great, we had a wonderful time, and are rarin' to go again! Next time, however, we leave the dogs behind. They hog the covers.
Last edited by Cliffmeister2000 on Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby starleen2 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:36 pm

WOW - the photos are breathtaking
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby planovet » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:40 pm

Congrats on your first trip! :applause:

Nice pictures (except for the coyote scat) :snappy: :lol:
ImageMark (& Cindi)
Visit our website: Little Swiss Teardrop

I was wondering why the water balloon was getting bigger... and then it hit me.

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:49 pm

:applause: :thumbsup: Image on your trip! Sure wish we could get out to that area! :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby swissarmygirl » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:32 pm

Beautiful pics (well, most of them)!

Congrats!
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift." - Albert Einstein

4 Hats Studio
swissarmygirl
Donating Member

Postby Ivar the Red » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:59 am

That's awesome, looks like a cool trip. :thumbsup: :applause:
Johnny
BUILD THREAD
Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing. - Vince Lombardi
ImageImageImage
Ivar the Red
HOME RUN TILT

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:07 am

Congrats on a successful first trip! Glad you took the pooches. It's obvious they enjoyed it too! :applause:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby MOKI SEAKER » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:27 am

Cave dog, hum, looked like Yoda in a fur coat... :lol: jim g
If you don’t read the newspaper, you are uninformed.. If you do read the newspaper. You are misinformed.
Mark Twain
MOKI SEAKER
The 300 Club

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:17 am

Thanks, all, for the (mostly) kind remarks! For those who would like to see more, higher resolution photos, here is a link to my Picasa album. http://picasaweb.google.com/cliffneff/ChiricahuaNatlMonumentCliff?authkey=CkZoRZN5tdY&feat=directlink

Enjoy!
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.

Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:47 pm

Very nice first trip report. I liked the photos, well, all except for one...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:17 pm

mikeschn wrote:Very nice first trip report. I liked the photos, well, all except for one...

Mike...

Just to clear the air about the scat... The easiest way to tell what is living around your campsite is to look at what they leave behind. For instance, it is not a good idea to camp near fresh bear scat. Bear scat is most easily recognized by the shear volume!

You can also tell about what makes up the animal's diet. Note the seeds in the coyote scat. Bear scat often has orange hunter's hats or tennis shoes in it. (joke).
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.

Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby planovet » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:20 pm

Cliffmeister2000 wrote:
mikeschn wrote:Very nice first trip report. I liked the photos, well, all except for one...

Mike...

Just to clear the air about the scat... The easiest way to tell what is living around your campsite is to look at what they leave behind. For instance, it is not a good idea to camp near fresh bear scat. Bear scat is most easily recognized by the shear volume!

You can also tell about what makes up the animal's diet. Note the seeds in the coyote scat. Bear scat often has orange hunter's hats or tennis shoes in it. (joke).

We are just giving you a hard time Cliff. :lol: But this fascination with scat has me worried.. :thinking:

ImageMark (& Cindi)
Visit our website: Little Swiss Teardrop

I was wondering why the water balloon was getting bigger... and then it hit me.

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:37 pm

We are just giving you a hard time Cliff. :lol: But this fascination with scat has me worried.. :thinking:

I know it's a joke. That's why I took the picture!

You have to admit, it looks a little different than the stuff you find on the sidewalk in the 'burbs. :lol:
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.

Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Right On

Postby greekspeedoman » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:55 am

Cliff,

What an awesome trip.

I am jealous of your weather. I still have 1 foot of snow.

Good tip on the dogs. I've been curious about our two beasts and where they'll stay.

Beautiful campsite. :applause: :ilovecamp:

Great work! Your photos make me want to go climbing.
greekspeedoman
Donating Member

Re: Right On

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:00 pm

greekspeedoman wrote:Cliff,

What an awesome trip.

I am jealous of your weather. I still have 1 foot of snow.

Good tip on the dogs. I've been curious about our two beasts and where they'll stay.

Beautiful campsite. :applause: :ilovecamp:

Great work! Your photos make me want to go climbing.

Thanks, greekspeedoman! Do you, by any chance, have a first name we could use?
I've been to Spokane. We have friends in Liberty Lake. You have some awesome basalt pillars there, as I recall. I've always thought it amazing how they form in 7 sided crystals like they do. They certainly don't match the standard definition of a crystal, but what else would you call them?

As far as the dogs go, mine are both small, and don't take up much room. The problem is, I like to turn over a few times a night, and there is usually a dog or two in the way, which means coming to an alert state, moving a dog or two, shifting (which isn't as easy as one would think in the trailer), then waiting until the dogs settle in again. Not the end of the world, but a bit of a pain.
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.

Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Next

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales