Help plan Kentucky- W V- Blue Ridge Trip

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Help plan Kentucky- W V- Blue Ridge Trip

Postby B52 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:48 pm

:thinking: Okay, here's the deal. I'm planning to pull the Bedroll up to Warpony's Ozark Float Trip on Mother's day. I've been wanting to ride the Blue Ridge Parkway, so I think I'm gonna combine the trips. I mean, after all, it is ALMOST on the way back to Louisiana. I plan to take a couple of weeks to see a bit of Kentucky, WV, Va, and back home via the Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway. I've never been through this part of the country and none of this trip is set in stone. There's nothing worse than getting back home and have somone ask "Did you stop to see the worlds coolest ____? You were right by it!!" That's where YOU come in. What should I be sure to see, what outstanding roads should I take. I ride a motorcycle, so I really don't like Interstates. Good campsite, places to eat? Give me your ideas and I'll try to keep Auntie M's oil level! :thinking:
Jim

Stumble through life; fat, dumb and happy!!
B52
Teardrop Master

Postby hiker chick » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:14 am

Motorcycle?

Are you familiar with www.tailofthedragon.com?

11 miles, 318 curves. southwest corner of North Carolina.

Fun times. Beautiful country in the Smokies.

:)
Hot Stuff Today, Dog Stuff Tomorrow

www.thegidg.com
hiker chick
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby dmckruit » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:29 am

Make sure you stop off in Ashville, NC and see the Biltmore Estate. It is amazing.

http://www.biltmore.com/
dmckruit
The 300 Club

Postby B52 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:53 pm

:shock: :shock: YIPES! $50-$55 to get in the gate at Biltmore. I wonder if I can camp in the yard and use the shower!
I'll probably ride The Dragon and hope I don't get run over! Thanks for the suggestions. Now what else ya got?? I know there is some Beautiful country out there!!:thinking:
Jim

B52
Teardrop Master

Postby B52 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:54 pm

:thinking: :thinking: Bump
Jim

B52
Teardrop Master

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:42 pm

:o Oh boy I was hoping for some good ideas too. You might do better if you put this in the South East and the Mid West. I can move it if you want.

While you are in MO you might see the St Louis arch. They have real gangs there so be careful.

The Bass Pro Shop in Springfield is great and they will let you stay in their parking lot. 8) Anything in Branson. 8)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0762742038?tag ... A46ACBE59&

If you look on line you can order tourist material on the Blue Ridge and it should get to you in time.

While you are here...
http://www.bridalcave.com/

http://www.experiencemississippiriver.c ... -along.cfm

Lexington Ky is great for seeing horses. :thinking: I have always had to stay on the highway (64 ) so the view while beautiful was an interstate.

Just remember the camera. While I will be highway bound again you will be taking us all along. :thumbsup: :twisted:

OH yeah http://www.visitlex.com/bourbon-trail.p ... DQod0HSy4w Don't forget the good stuff.
Last edited by Miriam C. on Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Wimperdink » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:52 pm

If you ride the tail of the dragon you'll end up in the neighborhood of a bunch of tn tearjearkers. we are quite an attraction and im betting we could line up an overnight somewhere to keep ya from getting lonley.

be carefull on the dragon. its a twisty ride. keep the rubber side down.
Image You know a man is on the level if his bubble is in the middle.
Wimperdink
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:45 pm

http://maps.google.com/maps
This should get you started on the Parkway. ;) :envious:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby xrover » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:46 pm

I just recently rode the tailofthedragon after picking up a TD just outside of Robbinsville. Quite the ride, but it is highly recommended to do it on week days as weekends get bumper to bumper. We went through on a Monday and it was fine. Great road.
1988 Cadet
2006 Argo Avenger
xrover
Teardrop Master

Postby iplay10us2 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:56 pm

Check out Red River Gorge and Natural Bridge. They are not too far from Lexington, KY. My sister and brother-in-law live in Lexington and I LOVE visiting the area. It is almost as beautiful as Arkansas. :lol:

I will be heading that way in my teardrop probably in the fall. They are renovating a cabin at Natural Bridge and I want to go and see it.
Susann
iplay10us2
Silver Donating Member

Postby hiker chick » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:44 pm

Virginia's Douthat State Park is fantastic and has been rated as one of the 10 best state parks in the nation. It's about 8 miles off I-64 near the West Virginia state line. Beautiful area. There are several fantastic VA State parks in the southwest corner of the state.

Shenandoah National Park on Skyline Drive is our frequent destination. Great campgrounds.

Roanoke, VA is a nice town adjacent to the Blue Ridge.

I absolutely loved Boone-Blowing Rock, North Carolina. Right on the BRP. You'll want to take some time to walk around that town and it's a great place to stay the night. We stayed in an historic inn there.

We drove a pretty wild backroad from Bristol, TN to get there.

The Smokies are beautiful and the BRP throughout NC is spectacular. You're going to have a memorable trip.

:thumbsup:
Hot Stuff Today, Dog Stuff Tomorrow

www.thegidg.com
hiker chick
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Nobody » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:37 pm

Jim, after ya get done with the BRP & Biltmore House, head on over to Nashville & drive the Natchez Trace Parkway from just west of Nashville, TN Southwest thru Tennessee & Mississippi to Natchez, MS. Not as spectacular as the Blue Ridge but a very scenic, nice drive with considerable history along the way & 2 or 3 nice, free, campgrounds. It follows the route of early frontiersmen/traders/indians to/from New Orleans to Nashville. Meriwether Lewis of Lewis & Clark fame was mysteriously killed at a tavern/inn near the NE end of the trace. There's a monument & campground there that we've spent time in.
Harvey -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Doing the right thing ain't always easy but, . . . it's always right!
Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby conbrio » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:57 pm

If you pass by close enough there is the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, KY. I second the Natchez Trace. I drove it from Tupelo, MS to jut south of Nashville. Not much on it but not a bad drive
conbrio
Teardrop Advisor

Postby B52 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:54 am

:applause: :applause: Now We're talkin'!! I knew I could count on everyone. I'm taking notes of all your suggestions. I've got maps spread all over with little sticky arrows all over them. Won't be long before I start to connect the dots with a bunch of crooked lines. Gonna have to zig here and zag there, but that was the plan from the beginning. Thanks to all for posting, and keep the ideas coming. Let me know if i'll pass through YOUR neck of the woods! :beer: :beer:
Jim

B52
Teardrop Master

Postby WarPony » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:54 pm

iplay10us2 wrote:Check out Red River Gorge and Natural Bridge...

I second that one, too! There is a road in the RRG that has a tunnel that goes through a mountain....... can't remember the name of it now. This might be too far North for your trip but Hocking Hills State Park near Logan, OH is absolutely awesome!! There are lots of cool rivers and waterfalls in the park but take some walking to see. I don't know if the new hip would be up for it though.

See you in the Ozarks, buddy!! Be careful!!!

Jeff
ImageImage

Still a million dollars away from being a millionaire!!
WarPony
Donating Member

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales